Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

10/18

Went out on a solo trip on Sunday. Heard back at the ramp that it was a graveyard out there and I didn't see many boats myself, the winds and tide must have scared people off.

Headed down to around Round Key in the morning to see what was happening. I've been killing the Redfish down there recently, so I've been heading down there first thing in the morning instead of fishing out near the Cape.

With the winds bad and the tide falling, I worked around some sheltered islands and points in the morning throwing a topwater and shrimp under a cork. Had a few blowups and some other nice hits but I couldn't seem to connect, and when I did, I lost a nice trout near the boat:banghead

Bite shut off towards the end of the falling tide except for some ladyfish and small snapper, so I started moving around looking for some sort of tidal movement. Seemed to only be finding big jacks and sharks for a while until the tide started coming in.

Stopped at a nice point in the afternoon with good tidal movement and put a 24 inch Red in the cooler.

Headed back for the ramp, but decided to stop at one more spot that I always seem to pull a rabbit out of my hat at, even though it was getting late. I was only anchored up for about 5 minutes when suddenly I had a nice hit and the fish started running for the trees. I'm thinking big Snook when all of a sudden I see a large round object try to jump out of the water. Huge Tripletail! I managed to get him to the boat and in the cooler, but man my heart was racing. I've never caught one up against the mangroves like that and it was totally unexpected. I've always heard that you can catch them like that, but I've only ever seen them on the buoys, markers or free floating.

Anyway, turned out to be a great day for me and I wasn't sad that the boat traffic was minimal.

Replies