Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bass Pro Mako Funament 10/16 and 10/17 offshore

We had been looking forward to our third Mako Bass Pro Funament. Weather forecast was not the best.
The Thursday Capt. and crew meeting at Bass Pro was great and the buffet they put out was more than you could ask for. Gator bites, wings, meatballs, fresh veggies and dips, salad mix, all the cheese variety you could want.
The gift bags alone were worth the entry fee, plus a $50.00 gift card.

The first day, Friday, with the stiff winds we decided to troll for some near shore kings out to 10 miles around the DK reef that had some Frigate birds circling, but the seas were building. No takers so we decided to anchor and set out a chum slick. All we called in were blue runners and pin fish;too bad the run to 30 miles out was not in the picture. Waves were building: at anchor,we took a few waves over the bow. Time to head in.

Got cleaned up for the evening cook out at Fish tale Marina: food was good. Talked to other crews, made plans for the next day.
The winds were to be higher, so a back bay and big Carlos Pass agenda game plan were put together. Well, after some trout and cats were caught, my offshore fever took over again. The crew said go for it. Since I now live in the Cape, I have not fished the May Reef in many years, but I still have my old numbers. And it's close to shore so the waves were 1 to 2, a 3 once in a while.
Set the Chum about ten feet down. Then the action started; the girls had the hot hands,they were on, bite after bite.
Craig and I lost a couple Kings that chewed through our leaders. We were using pin fish but no steel leaders. We changed to steel and never had another bite. Mary and Donna put 14 in the box to 20 plus inches and let 12 and 14 inchers go. GIRL POWER:)

Tileman and Nancy looking for the hot bite

larrywitt

Replies

• jimbo78jimbo78 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Fished the funament also with my father-in-law. Well worth the entry fee. My wife and i only were able to fish Saturday, had a decent day. Total mixed bag in the bay. Couple slot reds, couple just under reds, 1 snook, couple sheepshead, bunch of mangos, a random flounder (took home the plaque for biggest of the tournament ) and 3-4 cats. Not a bad day considering how windy it was.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,880 Moderator
    Congratulations, It is a fun event. Did you get a picture of getting the award? If so could you post it.
    larrywitt
    No picture getting it, took a pic by the stage after. Ill try to post it later.
    Hey thanks for the picture it is great to see those smiling faces.:fishing
    larrywitt
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Good stuff guys, looks and sounds like a great time for all. I'm going to looK up tourny info and format, this is something my daughter and wife would really enjoy next year.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,150 Officer
    Yea! great picture! fun time, Great door prizes just a one of a kind family get together. I'll be at the next one thats for sure!
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    ccrider wrote: »
    Good stuff guys, looks and sounds like a great time for all. I'm going to looK up tourny info and format, this is something my daughter and wife would really enjoy next year.
    The format is basically fish with your family and write down what you caught. They give prizes for a bunch of different species but for some its the biggest, others its thw the most or the quality. No real rules. Its all on the honor system and for fun with the family. The meals and goodie bags more than pay for the $100 entry, and there were probably 40 adult raffle prizes and 30 kid raffle prizes.
  • never2roughnever2rough Posts: 47 Deckhand
    jimbo78 wrote: »
    The format is basically fish with your family and write down what you caught. They give prizes for a bunch of different species but for some its the biggest, others its thw the most or the quality. No real rules. Its all on the honor system and for fun with the family. The meals and goodie bags more than pay for the $100 entry, and there were probably 40 adult raffle prizes and 30 kid raffle prizes.
    I rarely fish tournaments and was invited to fish offshore in brothers intrepid however, work and life got in the way again.sorry scott. But i would like to say that we are blessed with two top notch operations , bass pro and fishtale marina. These folks seem to go way out of there way to give back. Thank you
    Sounds great thanks for the info, what kind of start is it, does everyone stage and take off from starting point?
    No set start time or location. I start from St James City on first day, fish all day then travel to Fish Tale Marina by boat Where they provide free dockage. Then check into our lodging a short walk from Fish Tale for all events. Next fishing day you can start any time you want. 3,4,5,6 AM or noon if you want to sleep in. Catch cards have to be turned in by 5 PM. Dockage is still free till Sunday, Then we pack our boat and are back at our Marina by around 10 or 11AM. Just in time to watch football.
    Life is good in SW Florida.
    larrywitt
    Awesome, thanks for info Larry we will definitely take part in next years tournament. Is Fish Tale marina down on the south end of Island behind that plaza(santini plaza maybe)? If so that would be even better as we stay at Gullwing quite often and it's a short walk.
    ccrider wrote: »
    Awesome, thanks for info Larry we will definitely take part in next years tournament. Is Fish Tale marina down on the south end of Island behind that plaza(santini plaza maybe)? If so that would be even better as we stay at Gullwing quite often and it's a short walk.

Yes short walk from Gullwing. The cool early morning walk to the Marina is always very invigorating. As I understand, you are going to be on one of our offshore trips in the future.
    larrywitt
    larrywitt wrote: »
    As I understand, you are going to be on one of our offshore trips in the future.
    larrywitt

Yes, looking forward to getting offshore with your crew! I've been fishing our inshore waters for many years but in all my time down here I've only been offshore in our region a handful of times trolling for kingfish. I've done quite a bit of offshore fishing out of Big Pine Key but mainly trolling and picthing baits for dolphin, black fin, kingfish, wahoo, sailfish ect. not much bottom fishing besides hitting the patch reefs for yellow tail. It will be a pleasure fishing with and learning from you, Capt. Scott and crew!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Looks like a fun day! Too bad the winds ruined the offshore plans. I'm struggling with that too right now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]