Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sebastion Inlet Silent Majority

Fishing has been good at SI lately as it almost always is this time of year. BUt good fishing also draws lots of people, which is fine, but not all of them good people, which is bad. My friend and I launched our kayaks early in the dark yesterday and paddled around the point to try our luck. As we rounded the point we saw three persons, headlights, baits buckets, staked rods. aerators, you name it on the point of the rocks clearly and entirely way beyond the fence and marker prohibiting entry. We had seen it before. But this time I called out and said, "Hey I don't know if you know it or not but you are not supposed to be there." I heard one of them call out in the dark "what? and I repeated just what I had said, nothing inflammatory or colorful, and went on my way. Turned out to be a mistake. Later in the morning I buried a small treble in my hand trying to gently release a trout so we came in. I needed urgent care. What did I find?? Two, not one of my tires totally flat with a knife slash in both sidewalls. The rest of the day was a bit of a challenge. THese guys intended to teach me a lesson. Keep your mouth shut. So now I know why no one out there ever says anything to people who haul up oversized snook at the north jetty using a pier net, flip them on the concrete and then heave them back almost contemptuously because they are too big. That is the fish's crime. Punishment?? possible death. That is the environment you get when no one enforces rules and everyone is afraid to speak up. One of the truly beautiful and productive areas in Florida becomes dark and even dangerous. I do not have the answer to this, but it is something we all need to think about and talk about. My fishing companion is a woman and is still very upset about this and all the other similar stuff that happens out there. THe bad guys want to take it from the rest of us and they could and do succeed. There is a lot of insecurity and even fear out there. Comments Please.
«13

Replies

  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear such a bad experience. Definitely report the incident to the park, someone slashed your tires in the park is serious and puts you in a good spot hence forward to have a more productive method of preventing folks who break the rules from being stopped; call the park when its happening and they will deploy authorities. A report from someone who has been affected with slashed tires will have weight to be acted upon.

    Simply my 2 cents here on yet I would NOT confront people to affect change. There are methods through the park and the Sebastian Inlet District Authority to bring fixable issues to their attention and propose a reasonable solution for discussion within their management bodies. For example the Inlet Authority has an elected Commission and meets once a month.

    Again, my 2 cents, there are ALWAYS going to be bad apples - particularly folks who don't handle fish correctly (largely out of lack of knowledge IMO). Yes, there are some that do bad things out of disgust that they didn't get the fish they wanted (a keeper), yet trying to fix their wagon is....well, not likely to be the most productive use of your time to do what it sounds like you want - conserve breeder fish for a more productive fishery.

    Again, so sorry to hear your troubles, particularly that you had a woman with you and the incident affected her feelings of safety at the inlet. There is a rogue element out there, in society in general, yet I have found the inlet a safe place to bring my wife and I hope your friend finds comfort in that; SI is a family friendly place IMO.
  • mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Thank you for your thoughtful response. I should mention that we did all of the things suggested. Full reports by the Park Authorities and a crime report at the scene by the Indian River Sheriff. I might also add that I always used to think the way you are suggesting, but I think the problems we are talking about, and they are many, require a greater response but those affected. You and I. I know many will think as they read and respond that this is exactly why you should never confront anyone, even politely and maybe they are right. But we are there a lot, and after you see as much as we have it starts to wear you down. The park personnel need to patrol more, hand out written warnings and for those in clear violation of rules, pull the park pass and suspend privileges. At the very least. That is where I have come to.
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    Sorry for the bad experience. I recommend never to confront anyone breaking the law. Let the law deal with it, that what our tax dollar is for. Situation awareness is very important, they may have a gun and shoot at you (worse scenarios). Use your camera to record all law breaker and report to the authority. If you plan to confront law breaker, be prepare to defend yourself. That is why I am an NRA member. Besafe and be aware of your environment at all time.

    :fishing FISHON!!!!!!

    mmikita wrote: »
    Fishing has been good at SI lately as it almost always is this time of year. BUt good fishing also draws lots of people, which is fine, but not all of them good people, which is bad. My friend and I launched our kayaks early in the dark yesterday and paddled around the point to try our luck. As we rounded the point we saw three persons, headlights, baits buckets, staked rods. aerators, you name it on the point of the rocks clearly and entirely way beyond the fence and marker prohibiting entry. We had seen it before. But this time I called out and said, "Hey I don't know if you know it or not but you are not supposed to be there." I heard one of them call out in the dark "what? and I repeated just what I had said, nothing inflammatory or colorful, and went on my way. Turned out to be a mistake. Later in the morning I buried a small treble in my hand trying to gently release a trout so we came in. I needed urgent care. What did I find?? Two, not one of my tires totally flat with a knife slash in both sidewalls. The rest of the day was a bit of a challenge. THese guys intended to teach me a lesson. Keep your mouth shut. So now I know why no one out there ever says anything to people who haul up oversized snook at the north jetty using a pier net, flip them on the concrete and then heave them back almost contemptuously because they are too big. That is the fish's crime. Punishment?? possible death. That is the environment you get when no one enforces rules and everyone is afraid to speak up. One of the truly beautiful and productive areas in Florida becomes dark and even dangerous. I do not have the answer to this, but it is something we all need to think about and talk about. My fishing companion is a woman and is still very upset about this and all the other similar stuff that happens out there. THe bad guys want to take it from the rest of us and they could and do succeed. There is a lot of insecurity and even fear out there. Comments Please.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,838 AG
    As ex law enforcement, I can only echo what is previously said.... Call, but do not confront in any way....or you open yourself up to retaliation from that bad element.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    yet another reason why you won't catch me dead anywhere there are rocks and rails this time of year... it's sad that people get this way over FISH ... We have our fair share of idiots on the inshore waters too ... Anymore, I don't determine my launch locations based on where the fish are at, or what the wind is doing ... but rather where can I go where I wont see anybody all day .. and that is a sad commentary on current events in our local fishing scene..
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,838 AG
    yet another reason why you won't catch me dead anywhere there are rocks and rails this time of year... it's sad that people get this way over FISH ... We have our fair share of idiots on the inshore waters too ... Anymore, I don't determine my launch locations based on where the fish are at, or what the wind is doing ... but rather where can I go where I wont see anybody all day .. and that is a sad commentary on current events in our local fishing scene..


    I'm the same way Mark...I live in Sebastian...and don't go to the inlet. People abandon all ethics, courtesy, or humanity to get...a fish.

    I caught 5 snook and 2 trout and never had a boat within a mile today.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Boatless Bank Trash........
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Boatless Bank Trash........

    I fish both and would say the percentage of "Boat trash" could be a bit higher. Plenty of discourtesy to go around.

    My question is what was the concern of the OP that he felt he had to reprimand grown men who may have been committing an act equivalent to going 57 in a 55 zone? Not to excuse their actions but it doesn't quite sound like the "punishment fit the crime."
  • mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    With all due respect PP, the area is clearly and totally fenced off, the fine per person being there is 140.00 per, and there is a difference between skirting the edge near the water and dragging a pile of crap over the rocks in a nesting area at 6:30 AM in the morning. So I am guessing most readers would see it more like 70 in a 55 zone But that is not even the main point of the original post. It is that too many people out there do whatever the hell they want. It's me first and the resource and anyone else second. That is the issue that needs airing and what the hell to do about it.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Concur with Tim. At the last SI District Commission Mtg I attended they showed an anonymously submitted underwater video of all the cast net material caught on the rocks off the tip of the jetty; essentially ghost fishing. They acted; are deploying a team of trained divers to clear the mess and developing a plan to enforce limits on cast net usage off the tip where folks with little knowledge of the inlet get there $30 walmart cast net caught on the circular rip-rap field surrounding the jetty tip.

    Glad to hear you reported the incident. Next commission meeting I'll ask if they have a camera on the back side near the boat ramp like they do at the jetty for us surfers. With the cars and trailers parked in that lot - the fee we pay - there should be a security camera to at least record each license plate coming in to that area. Sure would help when something goes wrong and we need to know who was there. Even a camera at the South entrance would help with that.

    Unfortunately, times are fiscally lean and solutions need to be found that don't require more law enforcement. Sadly, FWC officers get paid jack***** and they lose them as fast as they train them. Some folks think cameras are big brother, well...its a public space that must be shared and if the only fiscally feasible solution is a camera...so be it.

    Finally, so I've got the story straight when talking with Commissioners or SI District staff when you say ".. launched our kayaks early in the dark yesterday and paddled around the point to try our luck. As we rounded the point we saw three persons, headlights, baits buckets, staked rods. aerators, you name it on the point of the rocks clearly and entirely way beyond the fence and marker prohibiting entry" and "dragging a pile of crap over the rocks in a nesting area at 6:30 AM in the morning" are you talking about the South jetty out front or Coconut Point in the back? The latter is not a nesting area and the former really isn't either, it abuts the beach that is a nesting area but the lines cast from the rails of the south jetty would inhibit nesting as much as lines out from the rocks beyond the railing.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,838 AG
    Sounds like he is talking about Coconut point...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • evadevad Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Sorry to hear this - we were out there Saturday and drove past as the tow truck was arriving at your car - wife and I both wondered how someone would end up with 2 flat tires on a parked car, but didn't imagine this.

    Afterwards, we fished the beach right next the north jetty... after being there an hour or so and releasing a few under slot reds, a group of 4 "gentlemen" showed up proceeded to glare at us as if we were fishing "their" spot. What did they do? Climbed out on the rocks/jetty footer, so that they were beneath others fishing from the rail. In the first 20 minutes they were there I saw 2 clearly under slot reds get shoved in a plastic supermarket bag.
    I had to pack up and leave before the desire to confront them ruined an otherwise gorgeous day out there.

    It's truly a shame and the reason I rarely go down there anymore - a truly unique and beautiful area infested by a small number of individuals that ruin the experience for everyone else.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    not to get too off topic, but if a fish is brought over the rail in a drop net my common sense would tell me to lower the fish back with the drop net. however I never have seen a single fish get lowered back down, they all do a 15' belly flop and slap the water so hard! one guy told me that "shocks" the fish back to life.....and was totally serious. anyone have any input on the release?
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I am talking about The backside, what you call Coconut point. Whether a nesting area or not it is marked as a bird sanctuary, it is clearly marked and fenced off and everyone I presume knows the rules. You can wade in the water and fish wherever you want. You simply cannot cross the fence line and traverse over any part of the land. Very simple. I do not think the area is breached that way very much but it happens.
    As far as enforcement is concerned I think more resources must be expended. This is arguably the most successful park in the state. If there are not enough FWC personnel then Park rangers need to be empowered with the ability to issue written warnings and perhaps even citations. Make renewal of the park pass contingent on not having violations. Clearly post methods for handling fish such as "net up, net down" on the north jetty. FInd some ways to empower the mostly good sportsman who want to frequent the area and not be repulsed by all the bad behavior that goes on out there. And find ways to do it so that guys like me do not go back to see tires slashed or worse.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    To trousertroutmans question: ^^^ Agree, I'd like to know this as well to pass along.

    Yes, duckman, seems like Coconut Point but evad's post makes me think this may be south jetty and that this happened in the lot under the bridge near the south entrance.

    Being on point and factual with folks that can do something about things like this is important. mmikita and evad, if you prefer, pm or email me your firsthand facts of what/where/when on the incident, would greatly appreciate. IF you have a police report#, officer, etc... that can get pulled as well.

    IMO, nobody should be getting their tires slashed at the inlet; for any reason. That I would like to be addressed. I've seen the camera capture of license plates upon entry and exit of public spaces be a highly effective tool on keeping the rogue element in check - they begin to wonder where other cameras might be - gives the police the ability to narrow the field on who might be involved when incidents take place.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    mmikita wrote: »
    I am talking about The backside, what you call Coconut point. Whether a nesting area or not it is marked as a bird sanctuary, it is clearly marked and fenced off and everyone I presume knows the rules. You can wade in the water and fish wherever you want. You simply cannot cross the fence line and traverse over any part of the land. Very simple. I do not think the area is breached that way very much but it happens.
    As far as enforcement is concerned I think more resources must be expended. This is arguably the most successful park in the state. If there are not enough FWC personnel then Park rangers need to be empowered with the ability to issue written warnings and perhaps even citations. Make renewal of the park pass contingent on not having violations. Clearly post methods for handling fish such as "net up, net down" on the north jetty. FInd some ways to empower the mostly good sportsman who want to frequent the area and not be repulsed by all the bad behavior that goes on out there. And find ways to do it so that guys like me do not go back to see tires slashed or worse.

    There are a lot of different things that go into what you're asking here. To be effective different routes must begin to be acted upon. For example, the area of Coconut Point is largely off limits because it's eroding so badly; their has been a tremendous loss of land their over the past couple years and any activity there is a concern to cause further erosion. This issue is squarely in the hands of the Sebastian Inlet District. I cannot say for sure without discussing with them, yet my first thought would be that the fence there is by their request.

    SI District does not have law enforcement power they rely on the FWC for that. The park has stewardship responsibilities to the guests of the park, the facilities for the guests and to the taxpayers because parks are a common trust that the State has created and funded. It's essentially a three way partnership that makes the park work.

    I cannot stress enough that IMO it is unrealistic to want more law enforcement, particularly wildlife enforcement. Wildlife officers are extremely underpaid and reality is that once they're trained and start, the next day they can get a job at U.S. Customs and double their salary - a person with a family and kids just can't look away on that. So, the officers at FWC who stay are often very committed people to wildlife enforcement with extremely large coverage area. Often, setting up sting operations on poachers is best use of their time and NOT sitting in a parking lot watching if folks are going over a rail. Yet, a report to check-in on a recurring problem to show that enforcement MIGHT catch you is a possible deterrent that could be tried for awhile. More importantly, IMO alternative solutions to these types of problems should be attempted.

    As to not allowing a person in the park for a history. That is one that requires a little research. Not sure if the park has that authority and if they were granted it, does that put the non-law enforcement entry gate person in a potential confrontational position they're likely untrained to handle?

    It's good to pose these questions when something unacceptable like this goes down and I for one will look into it through the management structures that exist in the three way partnership at the inlet. The next SI Commission mtg is Nov 11 (always the 2nd Wednesday of the month) and I happen to be heading to the next FWC Mtg (also in Nov - Panama City) and will seek who leads law enforcement in this region and attempt to plant seeds on some of the concerns you've raised.

    Please get me the facts as you know them. Being factual and not overstating one's case is critical to the long term trust it takes to see things like this through.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,838 AG
    Teej wrote: »
    There are a lot of different things that go into what you're asking here. To be effective different routes must begin to be acted upon. For example, the area of Coconut Point is largely off limits because it's eroding so badly; their has been a tremendous loss of land their over the past couple years and any activity there is a concern to cause further erosion. This issue is squarely in the hands of the Sebastian Inlet District. I cannot say for sure without discussing with them, yet my first thought would be that the fence there is by their request.

    SI District does not have law enforcement power they rely on the FWC for that. The park has stewardship responsibilities to the guests of the park, the facilities for the guests and to the taxpayers because parks are a common trust that the State has created and funded. It's essentially a three way partnership that makes the park work.

    I cannot stress enough that IMO it is unrealistic to want more law enforcement, particularly wildlife enforcement. Wildlife officers are extremely underpaid and reality is that once they're trained and start, the next day they can get a job at U.S. Customs and double their salary - a person with a family and kids just can't look away on that. So, the officers at FWC who stay are often very committed people to wildlife enforcement with extremely large coverage area. Often, setting up sting operations on poachers is best use of their time and NOT sitting in a parking lot watching if folks are going over a rail. Yet, a report to check-in on a recurring problem to show that enforcement MIGHT catch you is a possible deterrent that could be tried for awhile. More importantly, IMO alternative solutions to these types of problems should be attempted.

    As to not allowing a person in the park for a history. That is one that requires a little research. Not sure if the park has that authority and if they were granted it, does that put the non-law enforcement entry gate person in a potential confrontational position they're likely untrained to handle?

    It's good to pose these questions when something unacceptable like this goes down and I for one will look into it through the management structures that exist in the three way partnership at the inlet. The next SI Commission mtg is Nov 11 (always the 2nd Wednesday of the month) and I happen to be heading to the next FWC Mtg (also in Nov - Panama City) and will seek who leads law enforcement in this region and attempt to plant seeds on some of the concerns you've raised.

    Please get me the facts as you know them. Being factual and not overstating one's case is critical to the long term trust it takes to see things like this through.

    Only FWC Law enforcement can do the things that are being asked for. The lack of enough FWC LEO is directly related to the poor pay structure as was mentioned...We as a people have decided that giving free phones and a credit card that can be used to purchase fast food is where we want our hard earned money going.... Till Americans ( Floridians) tell the Governor and the representatives that we no longer support the constant social welfare programs...and we DEMAND less of that and more needed services and improved infrastucture...we get what we deserve.

    Those guys who slashed those tires...stopped at Burger King and used their EBT card to buy lunch....then called their buddies on their free phone to brag on what they did.
    We empower them.

    Rant over... :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    :Agree
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Only FWC Law enforcement can do the things that are being asked for. The lack of enough FWC LEO is directly related to the poor pay structure as was mentioned...We as a people have decided that giving free phones and a credit card that can be used to purchase fast food is where we want our hard earned money going.... Till Americans ( Floridians) tell the Governor and the representatives that we no longer support the constant social welfare programs...and we DEMAND less of that and more needed services and improved infrastucture...we get what we deserve.

    Those guys who slashed those tires...stopped at Burger King and used their EBT card to buy lunch....then called their buddies on their free phone to brag on what they did.
    We empower them.

    Rant over... :wink
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    not to get too off topic, but if a fish is brought over the rail in a drop net my common sense would tell me to lower the fish back with the drop net. however I never have seen a single fish get lowered back down, they all do a 15' belly flop and slap the water so hard! one guy told me that "shocks" the fish back to life.....and was totally serious. anyone have any input on the release?

    I often fish the North Jetty and the group of regulars, myself included, always make sure to drop fish in head first with no "belly flop" at all and instruct others to do the same. When someone does it wrong you can count on someone telling them what they did, why it was wrong, and how to do it the right way. I almost always fish with heavy tackle to bring fish in quick which means no need for a revive on a fish that is still "green". Just drop the fish head first and it kicks away still strong.

    With that said, I do agree with you that lowering the fish down would be the best way to release a fish, but there are just too many people and too much happening at once for that to be the usual. I've seen so many fish lost while waiting for a buddy to grab a drop net. Now imagine that Johnny just pulled up a big red in the net and as he's unhooking it Mark is just about ready to have his fish landed. I would rather see Johnny drop his fish in head first instead of waiting on Mark to land his fish then use the net to lower Johnny's back down. There's just no way that someone trying to release a fish is going to get priority over someone trying to land one. Again, not saying it's right, just the way I think it would be.

    temp.jpg
    upload pics

    High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,838 AG
    I often fish the North Jetty and the group of regulars, myself included, always make sure to drop fish in head first with no "belly flop" at all and instruct others to do the same. When someone does it wrong you can count on someone telling them what they did, why it was wrong, and how to do it the right way. I almost always fish with heavy tackle to bring fish in quick which means no need for a revive on a fish that is still "green". Just drop the fish head first and it kicks away still strong.

    With that said, I do agree with you that lowering the fish down would be the best way to release a fish, but there are just too many people and too much happening at once for that to be the usual. I've seen so many fish lost while waiting for a buddy to grab a drop net. Now imagine that Johnny just pulled up a big red in the net and as he's unhooking it Mark is just about ready to have his fish landed. I would rather see Johnny drop his fish in head first instead of waiting on Mark to land his fish then use the net to lower Johnny's back down. There's just no way that someone trying to release a fish is going to get priority over someone trying to land one. Again, not saying it's right, just the way I think it would be.

    temp.jpg
    upload pics

    Joey, Not that I agree or disagree...but as "food for thought"

    Since the fish are generally over slot anyway.... what real difference does it make...If a fish is hoisted 15 feet in the air...as opposed to *if* it did escape while waiting on one *big breeder* fish to be gently released to produce more fish.
    Does it need to hit the grating to be any more...or less of a catch? Is the photo that valuable? Did the fish not fight enough?

    All questions we each as individual anglers must ask ourselves and weigh the personal decision we make and its future implications.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Joey, Not that I agree or disagree...but as "food for thought"

    Since the fish are generally over slot anyway.... what real difference does it make...If a fish is hoisted 15 feet in the air...as opposed to *if* it did escape while waiting on one *big breeder* fish to be gently released to produce more fish.
    Does it need to hit the grating to be any more...or less of a catch? Is the photo that valuable? Did the fish not fight enough?

    All questions we each as individual anglers must ask ourselves and weigh the personal decision we make and its future implications.

    Good point. I'm definitely not going to care if I loose a fish while waiting for a net. As for other... who knows...

    High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    How about a little water-slide for the fish...
    An aluminum slide with a hose running from the water to the top that is pumping a small stream of salt water down it just to insure a smooth slide down for the fish without messing up their slime. The slide could stop just above the normal high-tide line, then they hit the water head first every time and slower than they would if you just drop them straight in. Also no skill would be required to release a fish belly flop free.
    Just an idea... I know it will never happen, but still an idea to toss out there. One at the tip, one at the middle, and one at the beginning.
    I'm sure the Jew Fish would love to live under that slide.

    High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

  • Edgewater220Edgewater220 Posts: 488 Officer
    I was fishing there a few week ago and everything was fine until I landed two solid mangroves and everyone on the pier erupted calling me a **** and cursing with my kids in the boat. I was well away from them but they think they own the place. It then turned into to a big fight with all the boats out there one guy even tried to hit a boat with his sinker as they were having words with each other. The guys on the boat cut his line, this sort of thing happens every time I fish there and is always started by the fisherman on the dock. Funny thing is they are casting way out by the boats and the fish are right underneath them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Edgewater 220IS (Dan)
    Mercury 250 Verado
    Minn Kota I-pilot
    2 Simrad NSS 9 evo 2
    1 Simrad NSS 7 evo2
  • timwfmtimwfm Posts: 258 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Joey, Not that I agree or disagree...but as "food for thought"

    Since the fish are generally over slot anyway.... what real difference does it make...If a fish is hoisted 15 feet in the air...as opposed to *if* it did escape while waiting on one *big breeder* fish to be gently released to produce more fish.
    Does it need to hit the grating to be any more...or less of a catch? Is the photo that valuable? Did the fish not fight enough?

    All questions we each as individual anglers must ask ourselves and weigh the personal decision we make and its future implications.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    It seems to be determined that the area in question is fenced off because of...erosion?

    So with all of the tidal flow around that point, prohibiting fishermen from walking there is going to help. :cookoo

    I'm a fairly law and order kinda guy but there's and old saying that you know a stupid law when good people don't obey it. These are obviously not good people we are talking about, but apparently there is no good reason to prevent people from fishing there, so this is the reason for which you take it upon yourself to chastise an adult(s) strangers?

    There has to be a point where every little infraction committed by others is not challenged by strangers with no authority to do anything about it. And I'm still convinced, based upon the retribution doled out, that the initial exchange did not go down exactly as shared in the O P.
  • mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    PP, you are calling me a liar and I am definitely not lying. It went down EXACTLY as I related it. You seem to have your own ideas on what is and is not acceptable. What rules make sense to you and what do not. Do you realize how stupid you sound with that nonsense. If there was an enforcement guy out there these guys would have paid dearly. Although I said what I said to them out of frustration with the people out there who pick and choose which rules they want to obey and when, it could have saved them a big problem too. There are two types of people out there. Those who abide by the rules whether they agree with them or not and those who pick and choose and sneak around. You sound like one of the latter.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    It seems to be determined that the area in question is fenced off because of...erosion?

    So with all of the tidal flow around that point, prohibiting fishermen from walking there is going to help. :cookoo

    I'm a fairly law and order kinda guy but there's and old saying that you know a stupid law when good people don't obey it. These are obviously not good people we are talking about, but apparently there is no good reason to prevent people from fishing there, so this is the reason for which you take it upon yourself to chastise an adult(s) strangers?

    There has to be a point where every little infraction committed by others is not challenged by strangers with no authority to do anything about it. And I'm still convinced, based upon the retribution doled out, that the initial exchange did not go down exactly as shared in the O P.

    Well, it seems that mmikita was right on the nesting, I just inferred it to turtles and it turns out its a bird nesting site. So, yes, its important folks don't go trampling around there, particularly in the dark. As well, continued foot traffic in an erosion site is counter productive and should be avoided. Below is an image that gives an idea of how bad the erosion problem has been recently after decades of stabilization. While I don't take all this report says as fact, there is some good information in here on why that area is off-limits.
    http://fsbpa.com/2013TechPresentations/Yarbrough.pdf
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    mmikita wrote: »
    PP, you are calling me a liar and I am definitely not lying. It went down EXACTLY as I related it. You seem to have your own ideas on what is and is not acceptable. What rules make sense to you and what do not. Do you realize how stupid you sound with that nonsense. If there was an enforcement guy out there these guys would have paid dearly. Although I said what I said to them out of frustration with the people out there who pick and choose which rules they want to obey and when, it could have saved them a big problem too. There are two types of people out there. Those who abide by the rules whether they agree with them or not and those who pick and choose and sneak around. You sound like one of the latter.

    You shouldn't be so quick to get offended when a stranger on an open forum questions your version of events, especially given the unusual outcome. There's always two sides to every story. But that you come across more than a little pedantic reinforces in my mind that you probably were a little more mouthy with these guys than you *ahem* my have thought you were. And the "gently releasing the trout" bit doesn't help your case either.

    As far as protecting that little point as a nesting area? For what? A Pacific Snail Darter? Something doesn't sound right there. That seems like fencing a 100' stretch of beach "to protect" the sea turtles.
  • TeejTeej Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Jeez, I'm sure I'll get zinged for this, yet...for a person with a signature line that reads:
    "Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'

    Why you given mmikita so much grief?
Sign In or Register to comment.