Poppin cork

Went out on the NIRL near Titusville the other day, kinda dirty water so I switched to a poppin cork with a DOA shrimp, I caught at least one of every fish type that lives out there but no redfish, will redfish hit a DOA on a poppin cork?

Replies

• rbmountrbmount Posts: 67 Deckhand
    i don't see why not- i saw a fishing show last summer, and they were catching reds on a buzz bait.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    I caught my first 2 redfish on a popping cork with DOA shrimp. But that was about 3 years ago and I haven't caught one on a popping cork since. Depends on where you are I think. I caught mine on a spoil island shoreline in the ML. Just blind casting. I think it was mostly luck. In the ML and IRL when it's really shallow I don't think they are as effective. Most of the time you just spook the reds when the popping cork lands in the water. So in shallow water sight fishing I would say leave the popping cork in the tackle box.

I think the popping cork works well in other places like the west coast. I use it a lot when I fish Boca Grande. But its a different type of fishing. Not as much sight fishing. Deeper water. Not as clear (usually) and fish aren't as spooky. It is a killer when using live bait like a shrimp or pilchard. I hardly ever use a popping cork here in the ML/IRL. It will catch trout out here. But IMO not the best for reds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Works good in South Lagoon.
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif