Home General Freshwater Fishing

Snakeheads - Urban Legend?

OK everyone talks about the aggressive, invasive snakeheads that are decimating our native species.

So two friends and I went hunting then on and around the C14 canal.

We launched in Margate and fished the main canal and several of the laterals right up to the turnpike.

We used frogs - Basspro various, JD specials ( the snakeheads fight to get at them ), flukes etc.

Over a few hours between us we must have cast several thousand times and in that time NOT ONE HIT!

Now we are not professionals, but are certainly competent fishermen. We've looked a many YouTube videos and do not seem to be doing anything wrong.

We asked several other fishermen and were told - go to this or that point, inlet etc. they are all over there. Of course we go there and get the usual - nothing.

Or we were told that they have become rarer and difficult to catch.

This experience has been over 4 trips to the same locale.

We are looking for some real down to earth direction here please - or are snakeheads just an urban myth?

Thanks

David

Replies

• Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 481 Deckhand
    They do exist and they are real. My son and I caught our first 10 snake heads this year. We made 3 trips down to the snake head grounds. We got skunked on our first trip although we did see a couple snake heads. On our second trip we scored our first snake heads. We made another trip down there to see if we could duplicate our prior success and we were able to do so. What we learned is that everyone guards their snake head honey holes to the death so it is hard to get good information on where to find them. The next thing that we learned is that snake heads are not the super aggressive eating machines that everyone said they are. We have spooked way more fish then we have caught. They are very spooky and what we have found is if you can see them they will not bite so long casts are key and even when you make a good cast they do not always strike. The other thing that we learned is to cover allot of ground and make lots and lots of casts and then when you think that you are done cast some more. It doesn't seem to me that they school up or stay in the same place for very long so you need to keep moving and covering ground. It sounds like you guys are in the right area and are using the correct technique. The top water rubber frogs is what we caught ours on. I am not sure if they have become more rare since this is my first year fishing for them, but they do not seem to be in schools and it has taken us lots of casts and lots of area per fish that we catch.
  • davids8477davids8477 Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Thanks Kill N Time.

I actually "decoded" a spot from a YouTube video. Still nothing.

Going to try Markham this week.

Other input appreciated.
    Well I am truly beginning to think they are a myth.
    This morning my buddy and I went to a place recommended by an acknowledged expert - and you may have guessed. Nothing. Not one credible hit.

For the time being I'll give the snakeheads a pass and go back to my beloved Bass.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,484 Moderator
    Chuckin' those frogs should at least have caught you some bass ?
    "You'll get your weather"
    Nope. Nothing.
    I have to agree with capt louie, every where we found snake heads we were also catching bass on the frogs. Sounds like you may not be fishing in fishy areas.
    Well we went to areas recommended by local experts.

Having said that I'm sure the solution rests in our hands.

That's what's great about fishing - always something more to learn.

If anyone would like to share a real "fishy" place please send me a PM.
  • StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    Well Mr. David, I wish I could be of help to you, but Snakeheads are a fish that I know very little about. I have caught them in the Markham north south canal and had no idea what they were.

I hear they area a very good eating fish. How knows could enter the yearly tournament that they have for them. Probably about the only way I would purposely fish for them.

Hope all is well,
    Chris
  • Snakehead HunterSnakehead Hunter Posts: 19 Deckhand
    Hi All, new member here. Snakeheads are definitely not an urban myth.
    What we learned is that everyone guards their snake head honey holes to the death so it is hard to get good information on where to find them. The next thing that we learned is that snake heads are not the super aggressive eating machines that everyone said they are. They are very spooky and what we have found is if you can see them they will not bite so long casts are key and even when you make a good cast they do not always strike. It doesn't seem to me that they school up or stay in the same place for very long so you need to keep moving and covering ground. They do not seem to be in schools and it has taken us lots of casts and lots of area per fish that we catch.

This is pretty accurate except the part where you say they aren't super aggressive eating machines. They are very aggressive and will eat just about anything....when they're hungry.

And you're right, you're going to have a difficult time getting people who fish for them to tell you where to find them. They act like it's such a terrible thing that they're in our waters and they preach on how you should kill them but the truth is they don't want you finding out their spots because they want to keep them for themselves. I fish for snakeheads all the time and I've caught dozens of them but I didn't get much help from the locals so most of my knowledge is from firsthand experience. And I don't claim to be an expert but I personally don't believe snakeheads are having the negative impact on our ecosystem like most people will lead you to believe.

David, I sent you a PM.
    Many thanks to Snakehead Hunter for his time today leading me to my first snakehead catch.

Thanks!!
  • weetzaweetza Posts: 156 Officer
    I would target the less popular areas. I do not have luck in that canal and fish it often. I've had much better luck in Tamarac/North Lauderdale and Lauderdale Lakes areas. Just find the bodies of water of the main canals. I've even caught some in Boca on accident. They are getting a lot of attention, they are spooky. Find the ones that aren't spooky and fish on the rainy days. Just my .02
    @David Glad I was able to help you catch your first one. I'm sure you'll be catching many, many more now that you know they truly exist.

I don't know why people are so secretive about their fishing spots. The fish don't stay in one spot, they roam the waters and can literally be anywhere in the Coral Springs/Margate/Tamarac/Pompano area. And it's not necessarily just finding where they are, there is a certain technique that needs to be applied if you are going to be successful.

It's also been my experience that they bite in all weather conditions. Rainy days are just as good as bright, sunny days.
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    And you're right, you're going to have a difficult time getting people who fish for them to tell you where to find them. They act like it's such a terrible thing that they're in our waters and they preach on how you should kill them but the truth is they don't want you finding out their spots because they want to keep them for themselves.

David, I sent you a PM.

:huh
    :huh

What are you confused about?
    What are you confused about?

You wrote; "the truth is they don't want you finding out their spots because they want to keep them for themselves."

yet you send an IM and he goes out and catches one. Why not post up the details so all of us can catch Snake heads?
    Yes, "they" as in most people who are fishing for snakeheads. I am not one of those people. And if you go back and read what David wrote you'll see he was getting the run around and asked for direction.
    davids8477 wrote: »
    We asked several other fishermen and were told - go to this or that point, inlet etc. they are all over there. Of course we go there and get the usual – nothing.

This experience has been over 4 trips to the same locale.

We are looking for some real down to earth direction here please - or are snakeheads just an urban myth?

And this is why David got a PM…..
    davids8477 wrote: »
    If anyone would like to share a real "fishy" place please send me a PM.

And I didn’t just tell him where to go, we actually met up and I showed him where to fish and what technique works best for me and it just so happened that he caught his first snakehead. I have no problem sharing fishing spots. If you catch "the big one" in one spot I seriously doubt you can go back there and repeat that success. Fish roam the waters and you'll never know what you're going to catch in any particular spot, that's why it's called fishing, not catching.

I could list every spot where I've caught a snakehead but the truth is they really are everywhere in the Coral Springs/Margate/Tamarac/Lauderhill/Pompano area. I've even recently caught them in Sunrise and I've seen them in Davie. When I went fishing with David we had to try a few spots and it was at least a couple hours before he even had a bite. Again, I'm no pro but I think most people who fish for snakeheads will agree, it's not so much about finding where they are as it is about the technique and equipment you use. Even the "pros" will agree, you will lose a lot more then you'll catch.

TailChaser, if you want some direction as well I'll be glad to share any info you want. I'll even meet up and fish with you if you want. Just let me know how I can help.
    Snakehead Hunter - it sounds to me like you are giving Tailchaser the run around. " I could list every spot where I've caught snakeheads but the truth is they really are everywhere" definitely sounds like the run around from one of "those" people to me. I give you credit for going the distance and helping davids8477 out, but you probably should refrain from throwing stones unless you are going to list every spot where you have caught snakeheads from since you don't think giving up your spots is a big deal. I think everyone on here that commented on davids8477 was trying to help him out and point him in the right direction. Maybe we did not go to the lengths that you did, but any info that may help a fellow angler out is what this forum is all about. Part of the adventure for my son and I was doing the research and finding the fish. Catching snakeheads is not all that difficult once you find them (you can learn all of the technique you need on you tube in a couple minutes) so it is definitely allot more about location over technique. I almost gave up and hired a guide after our first trip was unsuccessful. Although we were using the correct techniques were weren't catching any snakeheads. We ended up doing a little more research on different locations and we were rewarded on our next trip by catching our first snakeheads.
    No worries. Just thought I would help by catching and killing a few to help protect the local species. I will stick to the salt and occasional bass fishing the trail.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,484 Moderator
    Snakeheads - just long skinny mudfish . No myth , no mystery and located in a LOT of South Florida canals and urban lakes.

PS , they are fond of topwater swimming frog baits. :grin
    "You'll get your weather"
    I'm not sure how telling someone I will share any info they want or telling them I will go fishing with them is giving the run around. Regardless, I didn't come to this forum to catch an attitude from anyone or to be accused of "throwing stones". I fish every day and I rarely hit the same spot twice in a 30 day span so it isn't practical to list every single one of my spots. But as David can attest, I have no problem helping out a fellow angler.
    Snakehead hunter you are missing my point. I think it is awesome that you were willing to go the extra mile to help David out, but I did not appreciate your comment about the people that were trying to help David catch a snakehead were giving him the run around. Those of us that offered information did so in the hopes of David and anyone else reading this post would have a chance to catch their own snakeheads. Oh and you don't have to list all of the spots where you have caught snakeheads but I am sure that everyone reading this will appreciate you posting the directions to the top 2 or 3 spots where you have caught the most snakeheads since you are not one of those people that thinks giving up your snakehead spots is a big deal............. Just saying..............