Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Salt Marsh Skiff 16 review

As requested here's my unbiased review on the skiff we had built this year. Boats a 2015 Salt Marsh Skiff, 16' CC with a 40hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on a jackplate.

af3ea8da6df2c20ced5ceaad7e2234c2.jpgf2810667644c6c674ed024728b3255f5.jpg2aff75fbb95bd27af640acc197c7088a.jpg

We were looking for an affordable skiff that would do our backcountry fishing trips, taking one maybe 2 guest if they are small and also allow me a cheap way to get my fix as well on my days off.

This skiff has delivered, it's a very economical shallow running no nonsense little boat. I am doing everything that I wanted with it, goes anywhere that I want to go, and fishes two people wonderfully, 3 is tight but doable. Ride is very good for what it is, when I'm in the back it handles the turns and maneuvers with ease. Not much slide, will eat up the little chop on the big bays with a far better ride then a true flat bottom skiff. In a heavy chop you will have to slow down of course and run speed appropriate to conditions. But it's safe and will handle anything we are gonna deal with down here.

Runs dry, though as expected in a chop with a bad wind, you will get spray. I have only had that issue once, running from Indian key down to Seminole Point wind was wrong and nothing could be done to keep us dry, but the same would occurred with most boats. In the back I have not had an issue.

Best part is the range and mileage. 12 gallon tank, 2 men,65qt cooler with drinks ice, gear, 82lb 24 volt troller, in averaging in the 10mpg area at 4100-4400 rpm at 22-26 mph. Prop is 4 blade stainless.

Overall if your looking for an affordable, simple skiff for our area, can't really go wrong with a Salt Marsh in my opinion. 125b1e669e4aa2d203c310c1ba484c46.jpg114c9ad0158fbd2fd79186cdb6636a2d.jpg728e540cf725de1d0f350dad979a9d98.jpgb08bd3c3b15d0a9a2659a026aa3dd6ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.

Replies