Home General Paddle Craft

PENN VS. SHIMANO

DTATASMDTATASM Posts: 102 Deckhand
I would like to know what brand you prefer over the other and why. I prefer Penn and here is a comparison of the Penn Clash 2500 to the Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500

MONO CAPACITY YD/LB - 255/6 175/8 140/10
BRAID CAPACITY YD/LB - 240/10 220/15 160/20
BEARING COUNT - 9
MAX DRAG LB - 12lb | 5.4kg
GEAR RATIO - 6.2:1
RETRIEVE RATE 33"
WEIGHT - 8.50oz
REEL SIZE - 2500
REEL HANDLE POSITION - Right/Left
DRAG TYPE - Front Drag
DRAG MATERIAL - HT-100
COLOR - Black Gold
ANTI-REVERSE FEATURE - Instant Anti-Reverse
PRICE - $179.95

MONO CAPACITY YD/LB - 6/200,8/140,10/120
BRAID CAPACITY YD/LB - 10/170,15/145,30/95
BEARING COUNT - 7
MAX DRAG LB - 15
GEAR RATIO - 6.0:1
RETRIEVE RATE 34"
WEIGHT - 7oz
REEL SIZE - 2500
REEL HANDLE POSITION - Right/Left
DRAG TYPE - Front Drag
COLOR - Black Red
KEY FEATURE - X-SHIP
PRICE - $219.99

CONCLUSION - The Penn Clash hold around 70 more yards of braid compared to the Shimano. The Penn has two more bearings then the Shimano. The Penn is 40 dollars cheaper than the Shimano and you get two more bearings that means a smoother reel for cheaper! The Shimano has three more pounds of drag than the Penn but the new wave spring incorporated in the Penn Clash keeps the drag as smooth as it would be when applying 2 pounds of drag all the way to max drag but with a coil spring you end up loosing about 30% of your max drag therefore nowhere as smooth as the Clash with the wave spring. The Shimano is 1.5 ounces lighter than the Penn Clash which I believe two ball bearings and 70 more yards of braided line is worth 1.5 ounces and it doesn't hurt when it is 40 dollars cheaper as well.

PENN Clash pros:
Line Capacity
More bearings
Price

Shimano Stradic Ci4+:
Weight
Max Drag

Let's hear what you you guys prefer and why. :grin
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I Like Reels w/Lighter Weight & More Drag...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • DTATASMDTATASM Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Then it sounds like you're a Shimano kind of guy. I just like knowing my reels will still have parts available in 5 years the price is lower and you have almost double the line capacity.
    If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
  • DTATASMDTATASM Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Oh yeah you're a Daiwa guy actually haha I'd actually be interested in trying one out sometime
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I own Saltigas, Islas, Catalinas & Ballistics... but I also own Stellas, Saragossas, Spheroses & Stradics (& that's just some Spinners)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,084 Captain
    I don't fish spinning reels, and was sad to learn that Penn conventional reels are not the same quality that they were 35 years ago when everyone used penn -- they were slow to innovate and now have a tiny market share compared to their past. I have purchased some of the newer penn squal and fathom lever drag reels....they are cheaper and not as durable a shimano, avet, and diawa reels. The new penn fathom 40 high speed looks great on paper....40lbs of drag, 60" retreival per crank and only 250$.....but when your reeling in a big AJ and the dog spring starts failing on a brand new reel, you wish you paid the extra money for a different brand.
  • krashkrash Posts: 734 Officer
    I fish both and like both Penn and Shimano, each has its place. Be-aware that the number of bearings is not always a good determining factor and does not always mean smoother or more durable operation, and 150 yards is a long way especially for a 2500/3000 size reel.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    I own Shimano spinning reels and Penn spinning reels. The following observations are general in comparing the two:
    - Penns are cheaper
    - With equally sized reels (eg: 6000 size Penn versus 6000 size Shimano) the Shimano is lighter, but holds less line.
    - Perhaps more difficult to substantiate is the impression that Shimano is smoother

More specific comparison:
    - For offshore I prefer my Shimano Spheros SW8000 to my Penn SSV 6500 (notice that I had to go one size up on the Shimano to equate to the capacity of the Penn).
    - For inshore I like my Penn Conflict 3000 equally to my Shimano Stradi ci4 4000 (again, even though I had to go a size up, the Shimano is still lighter), but the Penn was $100 cheaper.

Go with what suits you and your budget.
    Imma try a Daiwa next time though. just to try something new.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 498 Deckhand
    The smoothest reel I own is a Shimano Chronarch baitcaster and it only has 3 bearings. Only good for freshwater but it is a smooth well made reel. Shimano's are some of the best made reels but when they change to a new model good luck getting parts. Have a few Dawia Saltists and they are good. Penn is only about 10 years behind the technology curve but you can always get parts. Qua toms are pretty good for the money.