Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

BLACK DRUM BABY

NEED TIPS: Been fishing shell mound area towards cedar key for two years now. I always seem to lay eyes on a 10 inch wide tail sticking out of the water waving at me... Ive thrown gulp, I've thrown shrimp, crab, even all three on one hook... and out of the 50-70 times ive casted to them. I have had only one hookup on a 2500 reel who fought for 10 min and broke my 25 lb leader... Huge drum... Any help on where and how to catch them would be very much appreciated... Thank you.

:huh

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I've caught more of them on spoons than anything else believe it or not. But if I were actively targeting them I'd have shrimp and blue crab on hand. The trick is you need to drop that bait on top of their heads when they're tailing like that.
  • barhopperADbarhopperAD Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I've caught more of them on spoons than anything else believe it or not. But if I were actively targeting them I'd have shrimp and blue crab on hand. The trick is you need to drop that bait on top of their heads when they're tailing like that.

I'm bringing my friend and little brother and just want them to be able to see that tail and would like to catch some i got 12 big blue crabs in the freezer right now and will probably get 150 shrimp... Just have to find them now...
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,571 Captain
    Fresh blue crab is way better than frozen.

Cut them in half and remove the top part of the shell. Leave the legs on for the big ones. Use a 7/0 circle hook, throw it up current of them and hold on. I've never seen them resist fresh crab bait.
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    I agree with Doc on the fresh bait. However, I've got them on a zoom super fluke, half of the battle is getting it right on their head as Jim said. You put anything down where they can suck it up and they eat it, doesn't matter what it is! Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,768 AG
    One secret to black drum with shrimp is peeling them. take the shell off.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Have only targeted them once in Yankeetown but like Doc said they couldn't resist fresh blue crab. We just tossed a half crab in front of them and let it sit till they swam over the bait. Hooked up every time.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    We did a blind cast to them out of Yankeetown the other day as they weren't tailing anywhere. We did see some roaming though so that's why we decided to try for them. I just let the regular ole small piece of shrimp on a jig head hop along the bottom and a couple of them took the bait...so to speak.

I'm not an expert on them, only big ones I ever caught, but it seemed as long as the bait was on the bottom they would find it as I missed a few on the hook set. It's assuming they are in the area of course.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Catch some of them mud crabs in the oysters on low tide, Black Drum love them...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
    I really appreciate it everyone didnt think I'd get much help but wow this is awesome being on here... Thanks a lot EVERYONE! Tight lines!!!
    As you can tell, a person can catch them on just about anything..
    Time on the water is your best teacher and you will find out what will work for you on any giving day...
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    If they are tailing then that's shallow water so use a jig with a big hook on it. Circle hooks work better when they are in deeper water then you have a slow falling bait. Put a shrimp or piece of crab on the jig. Gulp shrimp work too. Throw it near them and let it soak. They feed by smell so let it sit there and they will find it. When you feel them bite use a really hard hook set and hold on.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8WCrPyOlg

This might give you an idea of where and when. We shot this last year.

BTW Gary is 100% correct on the hook set. If you use bait on a circle hook then a multiple hook set after the fish starts running would be the best bet. They have very rubbery mouths. Fresh cut crab works best. Frozen works very good. Shrimp is easy to get and works just fine. Soft plastic on light jigs work better in shallow water around oyster bars in the spring and early summer.
    Thank you everyone... Any spots in cedar key where they like to hang out a lot? Havent seen many tails lately and don't know where to target them...
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,479 AG
    Thank you everyone... Any spots in cedar key where they like to hang out a lot? Havent seen many tails lately and don't know where to target them...

Try the deeper holes in the creeks on low tide and around the grass on the high tides. I've caught some 30-40 pounders in two feet of water before. Sometimes they are incidental catches and sometimes they are stacked up in the holes on hard bottom. They will hit a gulp but real bait (crustaceans) will out catch an arti 10-1. Smell is the key, best to throw it out there and soak and let it sit, they will find it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barhopper here is a medium sized one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    At shell mound I have always targeted them on the inside of buck island in the coves on the incoming tides and my bait has always been crab with clam stuffed inside it they cant stand it. oh and we always had to lift anchor for the hookups or they will run you ragged before you get them boatside the wife had one drag us up & down 2 football field lengths before he gave up.
    At shell mound I have always targeted them on the inside of buck island in the coves on the incoming tides and my bait has always been crab with clam stuffed inside it they cant stand it. oh and we always had to lift anchor for the hookups or they will run you ragged before you get them boatside the wife had one drag us up & down 2 football field lengths before he gave up.

lol..........I put my dad on a redfish like that a couple of years ago near Cat Island, he pulled us at least 200 yards. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Try the bars and islands over by the airport, they are loaded with black drum...
    Here is a picture of some the drum at CK, this boy with me was like 6'3-6'5

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I have had a similar problem with them. They seem to be picky sometimes but, then I see people catch them on jigs and I go WTH?
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Just lookin at these photos hurts my back!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!