Home General Paddle Craft

How I set up my new paddle board for fishing

sometimes less is best.

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I am thinking of buying a paddleboard. Thanks for sharing, great setup
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,343 Moderator
    You know Pete, in your last two videos you made a point to mention the guys that carry too much gear (too many rods) and I cannot help but think that you must have seen my kayak LOL
    Inshore I'm good with 1 or two rods, but offshore, maaaan I'm tempted to bring a full assortment (I have to try really hard to limit myself to just 3: livebait, jigging, pitchbait), plus I need to sacrifice a rod holder for my safety flag.

Anyway, back on topic: Nice SUP setup!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Deckhand
    Nice setup Pete!! I'm still trying to get the perfect setup!!! Lol less is definitely better if you can resist the urge. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • ReddsharkkReddsharkk Posts: 37 Deckhand
    what model kayak is that?
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,624 Captain
    It is a Dragonfly Paddle Board, made in Vero.
    Reddsharkk wrote: »
    what model kayak is that?
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,624 Captain
    The best way to start to cut down is to look at what you used in a days fishing. What rods and what lures, most of the time it is half of what you bring. Most of the time I will bring 2 rods offshore and at times I may bring 3. Try to cut down a rod at a time may help
    . Three rods, livebait, jigging and pitchbait is a good choice.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    You know Pete, in your last two videos you made a point to mention the guys that carry too much gear (too many rods) and I cannot help but think that you must have seen my kayak LOL
    Inshore I'm good with 1 or two rods, but offshore, maaaan I'm tempted to bring a full assortment (I have to try really hard to limit myself to just 3: livebait, jigging, pitchbait), plus I need to sacrifice a rod holder for my safety flag.

Anyway, back on topic: Nice SUP setup!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 525 Officer
    Truer words were never spoken from my experience as a tournament bass angler, however I am in no way qualified to speak to saltwater kayak fishing.

When I first began my tournament angling, I could probably get a hernia attempting to bring everything I cold possibly envision needed for the day.

Fast forward a few years and I could carry a day's worth of tackle in a zip lock sandwich bag. Perhaps that is a stretch but not much. The best part is that my efforts and hassle were reduced tremendously while my success rate improved.

I could share some funny stories of how the pros promote their sponsor's products on the boat and on the water although they didn't even use them but bat is another story for another day. :)

Thanks Pete as always. Another great video.
    The best way to start to cut down is to look at what you used in a days fishing. What rods and what lures, most of the time it is half of what you bring. Most of the time I will bring 2 rods offshore and at times I may bring 3. Try to cut down a rod at a time may help
    . Three rods, livebait, jigging and pitchbait is a good choice.
  • krashkrash Posts: 764 Officer
    One of the things I like about paddle-board fishing is it makes me even simplify what I though was a minimalistic approach on my kayak or in the canoe.

I have cut down on the tackle and 2 rods max but most days 1 rod. If it don;t fit in that 19qt dry-box/cooler it don't go, except paddle and push pole.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish