Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Quick NMZ trip with the wife

Angie wanted to go somewhere new so, after church, we drove up to KARS park to give it a go.
The first time I went to KARS and the NMZ a long whiel back, the water was somewhat clear and it was a redfish bonanza. I caught bunches of fish. The next two times I went, the water was nearly clear and I caught, and saw, absolutely nothing. So I wasn't real hopeful the trip would amount to anything. But I LOVE being on the water, especially when my wonder wife decides she wants to go with me.

As we launched there were three young guys just coming off the water. They told us they hadn't caught anything other than a couple trout, but they also did not paddle very far north from the park.
Meh - about what I expected. Explained to Angie we could paddle far North and just drift fish back, since the wind was in our favor.

As we left the launch, I trolled a DOA Cal (silver/white with chartruese tail) on a jig head with a spinner blade on it I got from BPS a while back. Figured what could it hurt?
A little while north of the launch I caught a redfish on it. Nice, slot fish. Released to fight another day. Angie and I decided to fish there for a bit and, while we both hit and hooked up on a couple fish, nothing was landed. Almost like they weren't eating the bait, just swatting at it and not getting a good hookset.
Angie then decided we should stick with the plan and paddle north. After while, enjoying the day and paddling together, I started noticing bait pods erupting and heading to shore. After a bit there would be a couple explosions near the shoreline, then nothing.

A plan formed.

For the rest of the day, I got pretty close to shore and watched for the bait. When I saw bait jumping and heading for shore, or an explosion near the shore, I tossed my handy Zara Spook Jr. close to the fray. Turned out that was a good decision.

2 tarpon.
1 snook (although I didn't get him landed I'll count him anyway, because I feel generous to myself)
2 redfish
1 gigantic jack crevalle who towed me all over the place
1 mystery fish I never saw (after about a minute of swimming around he seemed to figured out he was hooked and swam right up into a bush, cutting me off... PS anyone find a big fish with a zara spook in his mouth, that's him)

Hard to fish with all the grass floating around everywhere, but still a good day. And, for the first time in a long, long while, she didn't outfish me.
Win.
;)

Tight lines, brothers and sisters.

Replies

• FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 83 Deckhand
    Awesome report!
  • BeeknBeekn Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Very nice report...
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Very nice. I was out there all day this past Sunday. Will be posting report soon!
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    AceDawg wrote: »
    Very nice. I was out there all day this past Sunday. Will be posting report soon!

Dude you must've been WAY North of us. Unless you were the lone paddler I saw out towards the middle of the river later in the day.

If you're ever out there and see the Yellow Hobie PA Wonder Twins, paddle on over and say howdy.

Tight lines,
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Yeah I was up at Buck Creek around 930am and started working by my way back around 1. I was a few hundred yards off shore at one point near the towers chasing some jack that were blowing up on bait. I'm in a blue camo colored yak with white paddles. I didn't see anyone else out there though but wasn't really paying attention. I'll make a note to keep an eye out next time!
  • mefullenmefullen Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    i guess kars park is open again. we got out there about 5:50 am a couple weeks ago only to be greeted by the old gentleman who informed us the launch was closed and would be for several weeks because they were re-paving the road. needless to say we will be calling ahead next time. thanks for the report
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    mefullen wrote: »
    i guess kars park is open again. we got out there about 5:50 am a couple weeks ago only to be greeted by the old gentleman who informed us the launch was closed and would be for several weeks because they were re-paving the road. needless to say we will be calling ahead next time. thanks for the report

They're still paving the road, but I guess they had so many people show up and complain they went ahead and allowed launching. They're just asking folks to lift the kayak over the silt shield so as not to tear it.
    Option 2 is to launch right there at the boat ramp. I know it adds to the paddle, and you'll have to battle through the 35,872 manatee humping in the little mini-marina there, but you gotta do what you gotta do.