Home General Fishing

Trolling/jigging combo ideas

92211879221187 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
I need a new trolling/jigging combo. I'm only 17 and don't have a ton of money. I like the penn fathom but it's a little to expensive. Any ideas would be greatly appriceated.

Replies

• brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    9221187 wrote: »
    I need a new trolling/jigging combo. I'm only 17 and don't have a ton of money. I like the penn fathom but it's a little to expensive. Any ideas would be greatly appriceated.
    What is your actual budget?
    Also, just to clarify, trolling and vertical jigging?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,347 Admiral
    9221187 wrote: »
    jcanracer wrote: »
    What is your actual budget?
    Also, just to clarify, trolling and vertical jigging?

He also needs to be more specific about target species and so on. I will say that vertical jigging and trolling usually take different rod and reel combos. That being said it is possible to find a comfortable jigging stick and do some minor trolling with it, but a broom stick for a trolling rod don't make a good jigging stick.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,290 AG
    pawn shop
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    Spiney, I totally agree.
    If the OP wanted to go heavier on the jigging rod (like a Trevala 6'6" H) he could also use that for low speed trolling or live bait, but generally as you get more specific you go in different directions with the gear. Also sounds like he may be more interested in a Uglystick tiger lite rod for budget jigging (since the Penn Fathom is too expensive a reel).
    Good trolling combo for the budget, but not exactly my top choice for jigging: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?202089-2-Penn-Squall-40LD-reels-with-rods
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    Penn battle 6000 off ebay: $89.98
    Ugly Stick Jigging rod off ****:$70 and **** always has coupons going around so you can get it for quite a bit cheaper
    330 yards of 50lb daiwa j braid from ebay: $20.99

You can drag around some billy baits and magnum 10/15 size xraps with the same set up.

You can also find some nice used stuff for good prices if you're patient, but even then, it would end up costing you more than the above set up.
  • sharky12sharky12 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Look at the Okuma Azores spinning reel series if going the spinning reel route. good price for what you get. I've landed yellowfin tuna to 130lb on their 550 series. Very impressed with the drags. rod wise depends on what you're going after.
  • T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    I love the Ugly Stick Tiger Light Jigging rods, all of my bottom fishing rigs are based on these poles with the older generation International Torques 200 and 300 (wish they were all 200s). Have caught plenty of big sharks, rays and AJ's that put them to the test with no problems. Have been sure many times that the pole was going to shatter, but they never have. IMHO they cannot be beat for the price. But that pole is not a unibutt, or in other words there are two sections to the pole that join to make the whole. I don't recall if it was in the manufacturers information or if I read it elsewhere but generally a non-unibutt rod should not be trolled with for fear of breakage at the joint. I guess the difference between being in your hands versus being in a rod holder when a bit hit comes may make the difference (?). Or maybe that is a sales technique to get folks to but multiple set ups (?). I suppose if the drag setting is light enough on the troll it may be ok and depending on what species you are targeting.