Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankeetown 9/25...and a couple of Big Uglies

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
Biggary16 (Gary) had ask me if I wanted to join him today for a trip out of Yankeetown. I have been wanting to get up north and see how it differs from where I usually fish. Left Captain's Ed's (Yankeetown Marina), after paying Missy the ramp fee, for a nice ride down the river. Messed around a bit and lost a couple snook on bad hook-ups.

Gary then wanted to take me to an area that is similar to what I normally fish. Lots of water today but not much movement. Bite was off, bait was plentiful, and I'm also blaming the bright moon last night. :)

We picked up a decent snook, a few reds, couple lower slots ones, and decided to head back to try for black drums. I've never caught a big one, lots of puppy drums where we fish, but not many adults.

I managed to get the first one in, they weren't schooled up, so we had to blind cast for them. I'm thinking this pulls pretty good on redfish gear, get the fish in the net, and Gary says "nice fish but that's not a big one." I'm thinking, what, it's close to twenty pounds. Back it goes and I try for a bigger one.

Guess he was right as the next one made a number of short drag screeching runs, took quite awhile to get it up to the boat, and it weighs about double the other one. Gary needed to be home early so we called it a day before one of us could catch a really big one, well so he could, I was satisfied with the two I caught.

Nice day on the water with a good guy (thanks again Gary), I loved going out the river, and the area is certainly fishy. I'll be back. Some photos to prove we caught fish.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Looks like you guys had a good trip, thanks for the report.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Ok, let me be the first to say it> Man thats a whole lot of UGLY in one boat at the same time! So why no snook photos guys? Looks like Y'all had a lot of fun evan w/ that hated almost full moon! See Yuze Gize Sat!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Was a great trip with Bill. It was fun showing him a new area. I've been busy and haven't been out in a couple weeks so I'm not keyed in on what the fish are doing. The tide wasn't great it was incoming but it was a real slow riser without any current. Ted would've liked the topwater snook bites that we got. I had a real big one on that cut my line with its gill plate. We were really after reds but they weren't feeding much. We got 6 or 7 and then I got a surprise snook. We netted it and I put it on the Bogo grip to take a picture and it thrashed off the grip and fell back in the water. I don't like those grips any more.

It was cool to watch Bill fight those uglies. Especially the second one. Those fish are ugly but a lot of fun to catch. It's not everyday that you battle a 40 pound fish.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    There were a bunch of boats anchored on mangrove point again. They were there a couple weeks ago too. I'm guessing maybe the bull reds are there just like short point. Can anyone confirm that?
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Kewl
    :thumbsup
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,729 Captain
    Fun trip and a nice introduction to the area. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Ok, let me be the first to say it> Man thats a whole lot of UGLY in one boat at the same time! So why no snook photos guys? Looks like Y'all had a lot of fun evan w/ that hated almost full moon! See Yuze Gize Sat!

LOL! I've figured it out.....the big ugly is the one without a hat.....in case you're wondering....
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    LOL! I've figured it out.....the big ugly is the one without a hat.....in case you're wondering....

I'm guessing you didn't figure it out right away...unless someone helped you. :rotflmao

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Those things are like pulling up the bottom cept that bottom moves....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead