Home General Fishing

Florida Keys Best Time of Year

Hi, hoping to get some help/advise.

Planning a holiday to the Keys next year with a small group of anglers from the UK, and wanted to get some advise of the best time of year to come, and if possible avoid any of 'windier' months (if possible).

We are planning the trip from between Sep to Dec. If possible to target groupers, snappers, barracuda (are these targeted on the reefs?), goliath grouper and hopefully amberjack and some of the mackerel species...

Wanted to ask what the best month would be for these species and also to get the best from the weather...

I guess what I am asking is, which months would you choose to come over and get the best out of the holiday!

Many thanks in advance

CB

Replies

• FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Keep in mind that the Atlantic Hurricane Season peaks in September & isn't over until the end of November.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,397 Admiral
    Spring time would be the best for you IMO. Weather and variety of species available at that time all factor in.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    The wind blows when it blows...and it doesn't matter how hot the bite is if you can't get out to fish. :)

My advice is this - read the Keys fishing reports, talk to your captain if chartering. We've fished the Keys nearly every month on the calendar - the worst for winds (in our experience) have been March and December. We started narrowing down our trips to the month of October for fishing, lobstering and stone crabbing. That said - within your time frame I would suggest mid-Sep thru mid-Oct. Weather's still warm and it's about as quiet as the Keys get. :grin
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• ArbocArboc Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    The wind blows when it blows...and it doesn't matter how hot the bite is if you can't get out to fish. :)

My advice is this - read the Keys fishing reports, talk to your captain if chartering. We've fished the Keys nearly every month on the calendar - the worst for winds (in our experience) have been March and December. We started narrowing down our trips to the month of October for fishing, lobstering and stone crabbing. That said - within your time frame I would suggest mid-Sep thru mid-Oct. Weather's still warm and it's about as quiet as the Keys get. :grin

X2, might also add you can also find bargains on lodging and boats. Beware of named storms.
  • jonesbros1026jonesbros1026 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    I've always enjoyed May/Jun for the weather and fishing.
  • I've always enjoyed May/Jun for the weather and fishing.

Yep
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Maybe should retitle to Florida Keys Best Time to plan a trip "between Sep to Dec"?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,113 AG
    Hi, hoping to get some help/advise.

Planning a holiday to the Keys next year with a small group of anglers from the UK, and wanted to get some advise of the best time of year to come, and if possible avoid any of 'windier' months (if possible).

We are planning the trip from between Sep to Dec. If possible to target groupers, snappers, barracuda (are these targeted on the reefs?), goliath grouper and hopefully amberjack and some of the mackerel species...

Wanted to ask what the best month would be for these species and also to get the best from the weather...

I guess what I am asking is, which months would you choose to come over and get the best out of the holiday!

Many thanks in advance

CB

If it were me...with all you have on the line money wise...I would contact Yankee captains in Key West....and ask them which dates in your window in the past have been best with least amount of weather issues for their long range multi day Tortugas trips.

Then,...book that trip...the best shot at all you are looking for....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,053 Moderator
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    If it were me...with all you have on the line money wise...I would contact Yankee captains in Key West....and ask them which dates in your window in the past have been best with least amount of weather issues for their long range multi day Tortugas trips.

Then,...book that trip...the best shot at all you are looking for....

X2 For your targeted species, you can't beat the Capts http://yankeecapts.com/