Home General Fishing

9/21 - Salt Run

Decided to avoid traffic and went south for a change. At Salt Run I had the last hour or so before low tide, then stayed thru high tide. As everyone knows, bait is not a problem anywhere right now. Tried the flat after catching finger mullet. Saw a first for me – a flounder came out of the water chasing bait. Kinda neat but was not able to coax a bite there, so went against the tide towards the Conch House Marina. Set up in a spot and no sooner had I anchored than a tarpon crashed and rolled about 5 feet away. I’d estimate it at around 50 lbs or so. All I got there though was a lady fish, 2 undersize mangrove, a small jack and a catfish. Moved further and caught another jack, 2 undersize reds, and a nice whiting (on cut bait).

Went back to the now flood flat and had several hits (one pulled the line through some oysters and it was adios time) . Only managed this 20 inch red. I am not sure why no flounder wanted to liven my day. I know they are around. Oh well, great day as usual just being on the water!

Replies