Home General Fishing

Most Reliable Forecast Source

remel1993remel1993 Posts: 536 Officer
Hey guys, we all know there are numerous sources for marine forecast and many of them are far from accurate.
Wanted to know what the pros use? :huhWhat websites do you guys use before heading offshore?
I found swellinfo.com to be fairly accurate.

Thanks
If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life

Replies

• Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 562 Officer
    I am far from a pro, but I use a combination of things. NOAA, weather channel app, my radar app, wind finder app, and just paying attention to the weather pattern from the previous days before a trip. My radar is my favorite app, but it doesnt work if you get too far out.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Noaa, windfinder. Then personal experience to know what to expect from the given data. All forecast are just educated guesses. Sometimes spot on, close enough, or completely off the wall. Weather is unpredictable. If you combine different forecasts you can get a better idea like said above
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    Windfinder and Sailflow

I use NOAA to see what the weather is NOT going to do.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    The best offshore site I've found is Buoyweather.com. However, you can only get two days' forecast at a time without paying an annual fee and becoming a "premium" member.
  • BarryNichollsBarryNicholls Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    NOAA has several, and they're pretty good. I also use Weatherbug.
    Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. - BN
    The most important requirement for a good is fishing trip is to come back! - BN
    The worst things that happen to us give us the best stories - that's adventure! - BN
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,564 Captain
    NOAA`s graphical forecast has proven to be very accurate recently. It gives multiple predictions in a regional format.
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    earth.nullschool.net This is the best site to visually see the wind currents.
    Buoyweather.com is good but only 2 free days of forecast.
    AccuWeather.com for weather forecast.
  • EjazzleEjazzle Posts: 110 Officer
    Windfinder and Sailflow

I use NOAA to see what the weather is NOT going to do.

Sailflow is what I have found to be the most accurate. There is an unbelievable amount of weather data you can get from sailflow.

Windfinder is runner up.
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I use quite a few different sites to help form a general forecast. Granted, this is for mainly wind forecasting because I use them directed towards sailing, but rain is also forecasted on these sites! Sailflow, Wunderground, USairnet, NOAA, Windfinder, and lastly NOAA Nowcoast. I like the Nowcoast for fishing because it is a little less sailing oriented, and you can play with tons of different layers!
    Either way, whenever im on a boat, sail or fishing, I bring a jacket and bibs!

By the way, you can also start to see trends in certain sites and if they will forecast high/low, or if theyre completely off for your area. I know that Sailflow likes to forecast low breeze numbers for my area of NYC when there is a northerly, and the actual breeze is 5 or more knots than forecast... Just little things to notice.
    Again, forecasts are someone being paid to guess!
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Ejazzle wrote: »
    Sailflow is what I have found to be the most accurate. There is an unbelievable amount of weather data you can get from sailflow.

Windfinder is runner up.

I agree but this month they have been off about 50% of my trips. Lucky for me about 8-10 under forecast.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 988 Officer
    waldnerr wrote: »
    The best offshore site I've found is Buoyweather.com. However.

X2.

My business depends on it.

Greg
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 903 Officer
    Greg, Have you found much of an accuracy difference based on how far any given spot is from their nearest reporting buoy? Are there actually reporting buoys out where you go on your long trips?