Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rod and gun club ramp

After threatening to start fishing 10k area for years I decided that talking and thinking about it just doesn't cut it. Time to go and do it. Common consensus is that Everglades Rod and Gun Club is the easiest ramp to get in and out of. I'm good with spending a few more minutes running for that till I get my bearings. The plan is to do some slow speed exploring and not get too far south on my first trip. I'm still taking a few days water, food, bug suit etc. Now my question is how does The Club handle payment since I've read that they open anywhere from 8 am to 11 am? I have read that it's cash only so that is covered. I plan on not getting on the water before 7am and the charts I'm looking at say high tide should be mid mid/late morning. Like I said I'm going for eay right now. BTW I will be in a small skiff that doesn't draft much and I do have experience running shallow back areas (headwaters of the St Johns River south of Lake Hell and Blazes), so I'm fully aware that a few feet left or right can make a huge difference. Just looking to get out explore and maybe catch a couple of fish if the opportunity arises.

Thanks

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,243 Officer
    239-695-2101
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Swamp SkiffSwamp Skiff Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks Snookaffinity.

Drove down this morning hoping that the offshore storms would dissipate before too long. I was wrong, hung around for the first line of storms to pass but with more moving in after that I decided I was wasting my time. I drove home at about 10:30 am. Rather disappointing, but I did talk to the folks at the Club plus the drive was pleasant enough. I'm glad I had a relaxed attitude about the trip to start with, other wise I'd have had smoke rolling out of my ears at some point. Funny thing is that the entire time I'm looking at the sky I'm thinking that something was not normal about the weather. I should have looked at the hurricane forecast this morning... tropical disturbance. Duh! Glad I'm old enough to know when to make a tactical retreat. I'll be back.
  • RizanglerRizangler Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Hey Swamp,
    I stay at the Rod and Gun Club in the Winter. Spent a nice Christmas fishing the area. This time of year the storms can keep you off the water. Lats week at Flamingo me and two other boats stayed on the ramp till 9:30 then we all left -- lighting is not to be messed with. I recall the Gun Club ramp is about $20 and free if you stay over night. Just walk into the lodge, bring a camera, lots of history of the local area. The ramp is very steep and narrow but one of the better places to launch from without being at the mercy of low tides. Winter time low tide is LOW (negative tides) so be aware. Once we get out this summer storm season the weather will be excellent. Bug suites are great but once on the water you will not need them.
    G3 Bay 18 DLX
    13' Native Slayer Propel
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    Rod and Gun is where I leave from most days with my tower boat. Ramp is narrow and steep, but as said, very doable on most any tide. It does drop off by the dock to the north though, so never go past that. Fee is 20 dollars and the way it usually works is the last person to close up the restaurant unlocks the ramp, that way in the early am folks can go fishing, when they open up they come lock the ramp and then you pay to get out. There will be times that the ramp is still locked in the mornings if the closing employee forgets, and while frustrating, not really anything you can do. Also there will be times the ramp may still be open when you get back, I suggest making sure you pay, they do know the vehicles in the parking lot. Overall a good safe place to leave from and to leave your truck. Worth the cost.

Fishing the Everglades hopefishing.com
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    Thanks everyone. I plan on trying it again tomorrow or Sunday depending on if I can get my navigation lights put back together tonight and mend some cow fence. Previous owner spliced three pieces of wire together to make the run, no way that could go wrong! New cable/wire and a little time to solder everything together should keep it going for a few trips at least.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    Swamp.... the standard for marine electrical connections is mechanical (crimped tinned copper connectors covered with heat shrink) rather than soldered connections. Everything in a boat gets pounded, vibrated, and just in general abused. Soldered connections work until they begin to crack from the use.... that's why mechanical connectors are preferable - but if you're the one who will be fixing things you can set it up any way you please....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I agree, soldering has it's own faults. Making a hard spot can create a place for a fatigue induced break. I've just had so many issues with crimp splices that I only put them a terminal ends, and I solder those on too now days. My MO for many years has been to splice or solder, then liquid electric tape, and then finally shrink tube till the liquid electric tape squeezes out on both ends. I have always had small boats, moisture proof anything is a pipe dream. I think you could hermetically seal a boat in plastic, lock it in a vacuum chamber located in Arizona, and you would start having issues within a week! As with anything electrical on a skiff it's just trying to delay the inevitable. But I'm not bitter! LOL!
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    High silver content,low heat solder joints with good heat shrink are a very durable connection, no what matter ABYC says. If the solderer knows what they are doing, not many people do anymore or even ever did. Its an art form.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    -Aren't boats fun?
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,562 Admiral
    I'm on about my 7th.
    No Trolling Motor , No Live well, No Power Pole..Not much to break. Been there, Did that.
    I don't even wash it...But that Motor...She's my Baby..:wink
    Killin and Grillin :grin