Home General Fishing

Tips - Fishing Lake Ontario

SnaperhedSnaperhed Posts: 4 Greenhorn
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but has anyone fished Lake Ontario from the shore or any Rivers/Lakes near the south end of Lk Ontario?
I know this is a Florida forum but figured someone on here has probably lived
in the New York area and maybe... has some fishing tips for the Toronto/Ontario lakes or rivers?
Anything you wish to share will be appreciated. I'm headed that way in November. Thanks!!

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,460 Captain
    I can only speak of the Salmon River in Pulaski.
    I never fished the river, but fished the lake as a Charter Captain for years.
    You may catch some late run salmon in the river or some early run steelhead.
    It shouldn't be too crowded in November because of the NY deer season. A lot of folks will be hunting deer instead of fishing.
    The best advice that I can give is to get yourself a hefty fly rod, polarized glasses and some colored salmon eggs.
    Remember that the salmon are not actively feeding after leaving the lake.
    But they may take a salmon egg if it's fished close to them.
    Be very aware that the fish and game people will be watching to catch fishermen?? who are snagging salmon.
    Steelhead will take a lure, as will brown trout.
    Check with the local sporting goods stores for info.
    Jim
  • SnaperhedSnaperhed Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Hey Jim, Thanks!!
    Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Any suggestion on tackle like what Lb-test or hooks? What's the average size of a salmon or steelhead? Looks like the Pulaski is far East from where I will be staying. Thanks again!! (Pretty **** kool that I'm getting tips from a charter captain) Awesome!!
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,405 Captain
    Lake Ontario is pretty huge. Lots of different habitat. I fish the St. Laurence every summer for a month or so, patterns change seasonally. If you're after smallmouth, finding them will be your biggest challenge. Look for rocks, and use lures that you can use to cover massive amounts of water. The rapala flat rap, storm twitch stick, and z man minnowz have been really good to me in June/July. Later in the season (September/October), they move into deeper water, and I use jigs exclusively. They're super aggressive, so don't worry about shy fish. Have fun with them, it's not uncommon to have days where you land 50+ fish once you get them dialed in.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,405 Captain
    Just read the November part, lol! Forget what I said, you'll be fishing for steelhead. Bring neoprene waders or you'll freeze your butt off. I haven't been in a very long time, but I use 4lb mono (braid will freeze, I'm not kidding), and a 6lb flourocarbon leader. We build drift rods on 6wt fly rod blanks, and use 2500 size reels. My Dad, Uncle, Cousins, fish the spring and fall run every year. It's too cold for me. They drift wigglers (waxworms) or fresh roe sacks on #10 hooks.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Check your pm.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • dogman18dogman18 Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Look up Oak Orchard River. Salmon,brown trout, and steelies. Crowded,but worth fishing.
    “There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe