Home Egret Boats

Interesting 16' Bird

EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Deckhand
Hello all. Long time since posting. I came across this Egret and figured I'd post it for anyone that might want this as a pure shallow draft Bird. Also, may need Pete to chime in on the legitimacy of this model.

Enjoy.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/5211505971.html

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Hello all. Long time since posting. I came across this Egret and figured I'd post it for anyone that might want this as a pure shallow draft Bird. Also, may need Pete to chime in on the legitimacy of this model.

Enjoy.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/5211505971.html

Egret Boat Company back in the mid to late 90's decided that they wanted to make a technical poling skiff using an original design.

This is the 1st. prototype, super light and very fast with a 30hp. (At the time the boat was tiller steering without a battery or trolling motor) IMO this was the lightest of the 3 prototypes that were built. It didn't cut the mustard so we built the 2nd boat. Which had similar lines and sheer as the 16. The 2nd. boat was probably the best looking one of the 3. The last boat built was the most complex and never made it to production.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Egret Boat Company back in the mid to late 90's decided that they wanted to make a technical poling skiff using an original design.

This is the 1st. prototype, super light and very fast with a 30hp. (At the time the boat was tiller steering without a battery or trolling motor) IMO this was the lightest of the 3 prototypes that were built. It didn't cut the mustard so we built the 2nd boat. Which had similar lines and sheer as the 16. The 2nd. boat was probably the best looking one of the 3. The last boat built was the most complex and never made it to production.

Very cool. Never new about this. You learn something every day!
  • EricjmartinezEricjmartinez Posts: 99 Deckhand

Very interesting. Fun fact for sure. Thanks for sharing Pete.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Cool boat. How did they run/fish/pole, Pete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Cool boat. How did they run/fish/pole, Pete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boat above has a few things that are not used in technical skiffs as we know them. The typical skiffs have a flat deck and in many cases the have a toe rail to keep your fly line from blowing over the edge into the water. In this case the deck is slightly concaved to accomplish the same thing. The problem is that it's not as attractive and water will drain into the boat. Which then you would have to raise the floor to make it self draining like all Egrets. But at the cost of less rod space because of the low freeboard. The other thing that is interesting in the design is that of the hull. The hull slap is cause when the water and air get trapped between the hull bottom and the chine. The idea was to keep the chine under water all the time when poling thus eliminating any hull slap/noise. The boat tracks fine and pivots fine when poling. The problem was that the boat was so light the we couldn't get the bow to go underwater with one person up front. So we added a baitwell forward to add weight. Which worked. But the down side to this was that the entry on this boat caused it to bow steer in a chop.

However, on a nice day on the way back to the ramp two guys in a 16' Silver King with a 90 HP. Decided they were going to eat our lunch as they attempted to beat this little boat back to the ramp... Much to their surprise the little boat that could was able to keep up with a boat that had 3 times the horse power.