Cape San Blas

I'm coming to Cape San Blas on Sunday to spend August in the panhandle, just like every summer but one in the last 64 years. We moved to Tampa from Apalachicola when I was five but returned every summer staying in the cottages at Indian pass, We fished and explored the area from St George to Mexico beach. We cooned oysters at drybar, cast netted mullet on the oyster bars of the bay, and picked up scallops in St Joe Bay. My Dad had old jeeps that we drove to the actual Cape, and before the State park to St Joe Point.

All those childhood memories with my siblings and cousins, bonfires, crab boils, oyster roasts, fish fries it never gets old till this day. I look forward to it all year still like a kid.

IMGP1139.jpg

IMGP1143.jpg

IMGP1128.jpg

I thought maybe a few pictures would draw out the locals. My brother is up there now and catching some big trout he says in St Joe bay.
rent my beach house

Replies

• anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,485 Officer
    I'm coming to Cape San Blas on Sunday to spend August in the panhandle, just like every summer but one in the last 64 years. We moved to Tampa from Apalachicola when I was five but returned every summer staying in the cottages at Indian pass, We fished and explored the area from St George to Mexico beach. We cooned oysters at drybar, cast netted mullet on the oyster bars of the bay, and picked up scallops in St Joe Bay. My Dad had old jeeps that we drove to the actual Cape, and before the State park to St Joe Point.

All those childhood memories with my siblings and cousins, bonfires, crab boils, oyster roasts, fish fries it never gets old till this day. I look forward to it all year still like a kid.

IMGP1139.jpg

IMGP1143.jpg

IMGP1128.jpg

I thought maybe a few pictures would draw out the locals. My brother is up there now and catching some big trout he says in St Joe bay.

129 views 0 replies oh well!
    rent my beach house
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 574 Officer
    Was there last Oct, had a 10ft manta ray swim under my 10ft kayak, caught two 20lb jacks and several sharks. Paddled across the bay, caught a few trout and lady fish, saw some sharks cruising bay. Caught 8 black drum which were really tasty. Good time.
  • snake 166snake 166 Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    Wife and I have been going to Cape since 1964---as you know the road on the cape ended at the Coast Guard LORAN station but you could drive the beach all the way to the spit on the north end. More recently rented houses on the bay and held an annual fishing tournament.

Love the place but it has about got destroyed by the crowds.
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,485 Officer
    snake 166 wrote: »
    Wife and I have been going to Cape since 1964---as you know the road on the cape ended at the Coast Guard LORAN station but you could drive the beach all the way to the spit on the north end. More recently rented houses on the bay and held an annual fishing tournament.

Love the place but it has about got destroyed by the crowds.

It's not what it was but it's not ruined to me Tampa Bay Isn't even ruined just not what it was or could be.

Glass is half full, kinda thing I guess.
    rent my beach house
  • RudySmithRudySmith Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Great pictures and a great story. Thanks!