Home Fly Fishing

Flood Tide Fly

twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
I tied this up the other night on a whim and had great success with it the following day on reds in the grass. I'm not sure if it is someone's fly or idea, but it's simple and looks great in the water. I was going for something crabby with the splayed feathers, tarantula brush and then the hackle and the front. It's tied on a Gamakatsu B10S stinger in #4 (maybe #6, can't remember).
Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,896 Captain
    Good looking shrimpy bug! That ought to catch fish everywhere in the shallows - not just up in the grass... The only thing I'd add would be a weedguard of some kind (but weedguards aren't for everyone - down in the 'Glades I find them a necessity...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    X2 on the weedguards & good looking fly. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Mr. Lemay, Thank YOU so much! I've followed your trips and the such (much by word of mouth) most of my life, growing up in Boynton/Delray. I've always looked up to you, so your compliment means a lot to me. There is a weed guard, it's a piece of 50lb test that I melt one end of to make a "bulb", which helps keep it in place (in my mind anyhow). Please see the additional picture I've attached showing this. I am new to fly tying (less than a year) and pretty new to fly fishing too. I'm open to any advise concerning, well....everything! Thank you again, and thank you too, Sparse Grey; I really appreciate you compliment and feedback.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,896 Captain
    One of the things I used to teach my students (it's been years since I did any fly tying classes - they were fun...) was a simple test to see if your weedguard was doing it's job... We called it the 'lawn test'... simply tie on your weedless fly and drag it slowly across your lawn. That will reveal whether your weedguard is doing its job in short order. Lots of different ways to do weedguards -if magazines were still buying articles the topic would make an excellent "how to" piece. Keep tying and watching how each pattern performs. Most of us learned a piece at a time and when we saw a need tried to fill it (with many attempts that failed before finally coming up with something that did what was needed).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Capt PatCapt Pat Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Great tip Bob, nice to see you still around:Agree
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Thank you for the help Mr. Lemay, I do appreciate it!