Home Fly Fishing

Fly line question

onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
So I had to cut out about 25 yds of line from my spool due to user error (trolling motor mishap). I am using rio #10 clear intermediate. The first time I used it after the incident, I felt like my line was not loading properly and I wasn't getting good distance on my casts. The question is, is the line tapered so the end of the spool weighs/loads differently than the end of the spool? Was my casting difference due to an off night or a difference in my line? It also could have been that I had a longer than usual shock leader above my bite leader? Thanks in advance.

Ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• tunatakertunataker Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Sounds like you had to cut out the front end of your line. That is the business end of your line and normally the first 30' define your taper or weight of the line. You now have a good running line. I would get a new sinking head for it and use it for big flies offshore. It is time to get a new line for inshore use.
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Ok. Thanks for the answer. Guess I have to spend another 60$ for line...

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    If you cut off 25 yds., you definitely need a new fly line. You've only got enough left to wrap a decent sized package for mailing! :grin
    .......Rick
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Haha well it probably wasn't 25 yds but ya it was obvious the weighted portion was mostly gone. I went with a floating line that's less expensive now. I'm hoping to get another rod (I have another reel) so I can do one floating line one intermediate. Thanks for the help guys.

• saltydancindavesaltydancindave Posts: 1,255 Officer
    With saltwater fly lines at around 90' to 110' losing 25 yards is 75 ' or 3/4 of a fly line while the taper is usually only the first 30' to 40'. A new homemade level practice casting line for fiberglass fly rod bassin' in the future........
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,896 Captain
    Motors of every kind.... are hard on fly lines. It's a lesson that most learn after only one occurrence - in my case I've done that more than a few times over the years. Here are a few uses for what's left of your fly line -they make good lanyards, are handy for making straps for your sunglasses, etc. As far as fishing goes, it won't take much to leave you with a fly line that won't cast no matter how much you flail around with it... Unfortunately.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Hey Iceman

Glad to hear you are throwing the long rod!!! You haven't figured out a way to get that fly out to those 45 incher's yet have you?

Keep up the good work!!