Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Shooting fish out of Homosassa 8/29/15

Got em again!... Me my buddy Zach, Dustin, and a friend I met in the winter snuck out Saturday to slay some fish before the storm. We ran my Fountain in some slightly snotty stuff on the way out but got to a depth of about 65' pretty quick. I'm in the market for a CAT now because of the space needed for dive equipment and that speed the fountain has is something I'm really gonna miss. Anyway D&Z take the first drop and Zach comes up with a couple of red grouper... One is a Huge Fire Truck!!! This was one of the fattest Reds I have seen in a long time. The next drop I go down "new spot" and am cruising when I see these holes in the limestone like ledge we are on. They looked like one of these smiley face things people in texts and stuff..Like this " :o " I took that as a sign, and looked under the ledge with my light... There were no less than 5 big ole slobs sitting there starring at me... I switched from free shaft to line shaft on my Rob Allen Tuna 110, which takes a minute or two, then laid down on the bottom. I must have scared them cause the kicked up a lot of silt in the whole. I patiently waited for the silt to settle, then singled out one of them.. I couldn't see his head so I just followed his tail up a ways and shot him. Then began a 5 minute tug of war. I pulled on him, then he pulled on me. I was able to get most of his body out of the crack. Once I saw his gill plate I took my knife out and started stabbing him in the head. "prison shiv style"!!! let the green blood flow!!! Once he was on the stringer, I was happy. I looked under the rocks, and could see a bunch of big tails, and even one set of big eyes.. My fishing maturity kicked in, and I was like.. "Gags.. Yall reproduce, and I'll come back and shoot you next year. The next couple of dives, I saw a lot of reds and gags that were right on the line of being legal and elected to pass on them. "another sign of maturity".. LOL.. a couple of years ago I would have shot everything down there! It would have looked like a desert when I was done.. I did pick up quite a few more hog fish, and so did Z&D. Another grouper or two were put in the cooler, and we were flying back to Homosassa.

My Gag I shot was a respectable 31"... It was the biggest Gag of the day, but Zach has on video one that he just couldn't quite get to that was over 40"... I'll let yall know right now, once I shoot a 40"r.. yall will never hear the end of it....

The only other thing that I hate to admit, is that the Lion Fish have shown up... I shot a few of them in 55 foot. I left them for dead, except for one. I took it back to the boat carefully, and trimmed all of his spines of. He was small, but Zach filled him, and I got two little Lion Fish nuggets to eat tonight. I guess I'm gonna get one of those zoo keeper things, and start killing them..... As the saying goes.. "if you can't beat them, Join them"...

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Looks like a good time.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 659 Officer
    Excellent report, and thank you for your "maturity" with leaving some behind. Us hook and line guys thank you :)

Would love to see the video if you're able to share it. Also, sad to hear about the lionfish. Figure it's only a matter of time until they are all over all of our artificial spots...
  • Top ContenderTop Contender Posts: 599 Officer
    Looks like a good day with some nice fish! Those lionfish are very good to eat. If you're going to be shooting them in the future try and have a way to produce hot water on board, as hot as you can stand it, that'll relieve the pain of someone gets hit and possibly save the day.

All signs are pointing to the fact that fish are returning. Things should only continue to get better!
  • Big KBig K Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Way to go! We also did pretty good on Saturday, Gags on rod and reel. By the way, I'm the guy who spoke to you when you were launching at Riverhaven Marina. Turns out that I live on the same canal where you dock your boat. I am on the east side, 2nd house in from the river, 22 ft dark blue Nautic Star on the lift.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done guys...
    I knew it was just a matter of time before we got the lionfish around here...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Wish I had the berries to do that. Saw "Jaws" too many times or something. Great job!
  • BrodieBrodie Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Wish I had the berries to do that. Saw "Jaws" too many times or something. Great job!

I don't really see how it's a "great job". Shooting fish that are hiding in an enclosed area hardly seems like a great job to me, more like shooting fish in a barrel. Hey I get the whole "you kill fish your way, I'll kill em mine" and I know it's legal and all. Something just doesn't seem right about it though. I will commend him on using some discretion and not killing them all, y'all
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    This guy^

Nice haul man! That spearing isn't as easy as people make it out to be.
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Brodie wrote: »
    I don't really see how it's a "great job". Shooting fish that are hiding in an enclosed area hardly seems like a great job to me, more like shooting fish in a barrel. Hey I get the whole "you kill fish your way, I'll kill em mine" and I know it's legal and all. Something just doesn't seem right about it though. I will commend him on using some discretion and not killing them all, y'all

Brodie,

You are making a judgment about something you obviously have no experience with. How is a cooler full of fish different whether speared or hooked? Diving requires more cost, preparation, and training than hook and line. The benefits are that you get to experience, learn and enjoy the under sea eco-system first hand. I do both, enjoy both, and generally come home with the same amount of fish. The same season and bag limits generally apply to either harvest method (divers are slightly more species restricted). Please don't add to the anti-diver rhetoric with your naive comments.
    butchbal wrote: »
    Brodie,

You are making a judgment about something you obviously have no experience with. How is a cooler full of fish different whether speared or hooked? Diving requires more cost, preparation, and training than hook and line. The benefits are that you get to experience, learn and enjoy the under sea eco-system first hand. I do both, enjoy both, and generally come home with the same amount of fish. The same season and bag limits generally apply to either harvest method (divers are slightly more species restricted). Please don't add to the anti-diver rhetoric with your naive comments.

Oh I'm sorry about my naive comments, I thought this was a forum in which people could express themselves freely. My bad.
    butchbal wrote: »
    Brodie,

FYI
    fo·rum
    ˈfôrəm/Submit
    noun
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,172 Moderator
    Point taken. "Selective" harvest is the key to both methods. Simple as that.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,584 Captain
    The recreational divers are not the problem. I know a commercial diver on the east coast that told me when he finishes his dive on a ledge there are no keeper gags left. That is a problem.
    Slacker wrote: »
    The recreational divers are not the problem. I know a commercial diver on the east coast that told me when he finishes his dive on a ledge there are no keeper gags left. That is a problem.

"Rec" divers are not very common so I agree that they may not be the problem BUT as the member who started this thread said
    "a couple of years ago I would have shot everything down there! It would have looked like a desert when I was done.."

Look I know it's legal and it aint easy to do, I get that. There's just something unethical about it IMHO that's all. That being said I do appreciate his posts. Nuff said.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    I don't think there's anything unethical about it. You're abiding the rules and legally gathering the fish. I guess I could see how you might think that it's not a very sporting way to go about it, but I think it's really no different than deer or turkey hunting. You go out with a gun and hunt. It takes skill to quietly stalk them and make a proper shot. Only with deer hunting you don't have to fend off giant goliath grouper or pissed off sharks, LOL.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Captain
    Thread derailed. Great job Kahuna! I just got Open Water certified myself a couple of weeks back. First dive in the blue is coming up the middle of the month. I'd be happy to get back to shore with half of your haul on our first attempt. Any pointers from you and Butch would be greatly appreciated. I'm dying to shoot some hogfish!
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp