Fish ID

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    Some sort of Tuna?
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,327 Officer
    Blue Runner

AKA "Warsaw bait" :rotflmao

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    We have caught a ton of those this year while trolling off shore. giant ones. up to 6 pounds easy both the normal green ones but some where so dark they where almost black I have never seen blue runners so dark. nor have I ever caught so many off shore like we did this year.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • StatRX67StatRX67 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Thanks. These were all over the place on a weed line in 850 ft.
  • TugCaptTugCapt Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Do you eat them?
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    TugCapt wrote: »
    Do you eat them?

I have used them for bait but not eaten them.
  • JoepilotJoepilot Posts: 38 Deckhand
    looks like a pilot fish
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,907 Captain
    Joepilot wrote: »
    looks like a pilot fish

Pilot fish have shorter pectoral fins much like Almacos and AJs. It is a Blue Runner. They can be found in quite a few different color patterns.

Fresh and handled and prepared properly they eat just fine.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    conchydong wrote: »
    Pilot fish have shorter pectoral fins much like Almacos and AJs. It is a Blue Runner. They can be found in quite a few different color patterns.

Fresh and handled and prepared properly they eat just fine.

I'm going to agree with this too. Especially for those giant runners you often get offshore. I have never eaten a runner, but imagine the meat to be similar to the yellow jacks and bar jacks, both of which are excellent. Just be sure you remove every iota of red meat from the fillet. It is firm meat and does well on the grill. Don't overcook it. Leftovers make excellent fish salad the next day.
    .......Rick
  • icy1155icy1155 Posts: 123 Officer
    We caught and speared a few month while we were in Big Pine chasing mahi. Got home that night, filleted them up and removed the bloodline. Marinated for 30-40 min in red wine and some Everglades seasoning. Smoked it on the grill (left the smoker at home) with a mix of alder and cherry. Some of the best eating we had that night, most everyone there preferred it to the mahi or hogfish.

Most fish is delicious if its fresh and prepared correctly.