Help me spend $$$

Ok guys, recently won some money in a fishing tourney and looking to up grade my gear for fishing Islamorada..I am looking for outfits for Sails/Kingfish...what reels? What rod lenghts/strenghts? I prefer a fast taper..just my preference

I am also looking for some stuff for grouper/mutton snapper/

For now I do not fish very often, so I need gear that sits on the shelf better..ie my BG 30's get gummed up pretty quickly..guessing water gets in pretty easy and then it sits for 3-4 months before i fish again.

Don't want to spend more the $500 for the reels/ $300 for the rods?

After tax I have about $4000 to spend.

Replies

• saltlifegarrettsaltlifegarrett Posts: 30 Deckhand
    i really recommend
    fin nor offshore series reals....they offer 67lbs of drag have up to 40 inches of retrieval..i have a fin nor ofshore 6500...i use it for tarpon fishing and vertical jigging and king fish.
    now for bottom fishing i use penn 6/0 but if you want something with some more stopping power i would look at some accurates, i little high on price but you will thank me later...

and for rods i think you will like the shimano travalie rod for kingfish/sails.....or call my good friends
    http://www.adrenalinefishingrods.com/ they can build you anything you want
    if you go fishing and do not learn. you are not a fishermen.
  • Lu 1967Lu 1967 Posts: 281 Deckhand
    Congrats on the tourney. Good job!
  • 2thekeys2thekeys Posts: 162 Deckhand
    No congrats required..I am just a passenger on that boat...I do get to drive. :)
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,143 Captain
    my results from fishing 250 days + last year:
    penn internationals (4) still standing strong after 15 solid years and 1 rebuild from penn factory
    shimano bait runner 12,000 - 1 already rotted out after 1 year
    penn 850- still going, handle starting to rot
    diawa bg 60- too new to comment
    penn 6/0 senator- still going with wire line
    insane abuse, by everything, but i do do diligence in cleaning, etc.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,219 Moderator
    Rods for sails & Kings, I's look at the Daiwa Saltiga. There are several depending upon your preference of grips, but the two I'd look hard at are the SAG70MHR 15-30 or SAG70HR 20-50. hese are priced at @ $210. Another alternative is the St Croix Triumph TSWC70MF 15 - 30 or the TSWC70MHF. These are priced at @120.00

For a bottom rod, you cannot do better than an Ugly Stick Custom, MODEL # USCB1170MH rated 30-50# at $70.00 There are a lot higher priced rods out there but none better that the USCB1170 for bottom fishing.

Rees are all over the place. For bottom fishing, IMHO, the best reel on the market is the US Senator113 at $270. This is a one piece aluminum frame, aluminum spool and stainless gears with HT100 drag washers.

For sails and kingfish, as someone above alluded to, A Penn Int'l 20, loaded with 20 or 30# mono is hard to beat, albeit a little heavy. Other reels to consider are the Daiwa Saltiga SALD40HS or less expensive Saltist STTLD40HSH Both of these reels are high speed lever drag reels making them very suitable for sails, even kite fishing where you need to recover slack line fast. On the Shimano line, look at the Talica TAC12 or 16 or Torsa TS20 reels. Personally I like (and use the Saltist and Saltiga reels)
  • ChannelTwoChannelTwo Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Fin-nor Marquesa Pelagic 30 with 51" crank. Very loud clicker. Pelagic Outfitters used to sell these for $285. I would email Chris at Pelagic to see if they still have them on sale. I don't think his site lists the deal.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Are you wanting Spinners or Conventionals for Both or Spinners for Kings/Sails & Conventionals for Groupers/Muttons ???
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,143 Captain
    shimano tld 50wide 2 speed- still going
    oh, just go blow it all on a deep drop set up.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 576 Officer
    Rods for sails & Kings, I's look at the Daiwa Saltiga. There are several depending upon your preference of grips, but the two I'd look hard at are the SAG70MHR 15-30 or SAG70HR 20-50. hese are priced at @ $210. Another alternative is the St Croix Triumph TSWC70MF 15 - 30 or the TSWC70MHF. These are priced at @120.00

For a bottom rod, you cannot do better than an Ugly Stick Custom, MODEL # USCB1170MH rated 30-50# at $70.00 There are a lot higher priced rods out there but none better that the USCB1170 for bottom fishing.

Rees are all over the place. For bottom fishing, IMHO, the best reel on the market is the US Senator113 at $270. This is a one piece aluminum frame, aluminum spool and stainless gears with HT100 drag washers.

For sails and kingfish, as someone above alluded to, A Penn Int'l 20, loaded with 20 or 30# mono is hard to beat, albeit a little heavy. Other reels to consider are the Daiwa Saltiga SALD40HS or less expensive Saltist STTLD40HSH Both of these reels are high speed lever drag reels making them very suitable for sails, even kite fishing where you need to recover slack line fast. On the Shimano line, look at the Talica TAC12 or 16 or Torsa TS20 reels. Personally I like (and use the Saltist and Saltiga reels)

Everyone here has good opinions. Jack knows his stuff WELL.

Juan
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 798 Officer
    How about spending some of that money actually going fishing to improve your skills?

Greg
  • 2thekeys2thekeys Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Greg I plan too..but I am stuck in New Jersey 340 days a year...but my mind is in Florida fishing.....As soon as I have the time I will be joining you for a trip or two or three.