Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Regulation questions

Hello All,

I was looking at the seasons/regulations on the FWC website and had a few questions.

If fishing past 9 miles out of steinhatchee Gags are open until december right?

I also noticed that ARS will be open next month till Nov. 1st on weekends only with that being said how far out do you have to go out to even start seeing ARS out of steinhatchee?

Thanks

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,959 Captain
    Yeah once you're in federal waters outside of 9 miles they should be open till December, they just have different regs in state waters. But from what I understand the different regs in state waters are pretty pointless since few people are catching them in state waters at that timeframe anyway.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,724 Captain
    Red Snapper are open is state waters , not federal. So you can't keep them past 9 miles. Good luck finding some state water numbers. There are some, but I don't know of any
    You should have been here yesterday
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,608 Captain
    The opening for RS in state water really only affects the Panhandle where boats can reach depths that hold snapper within 9 miles of the coastline. There won't be any red snapper fishing out of the Big Bend ports.

Interestingly, juvenile red snapper (12" or so) are showing up in good numbers right now in areas that were killed by the red tide on wrecks and high structure as shallow as 60 ft. I've never seen this before. The last time they showed up in our area they were all larger fish. But this is still Federal water at least 25-40 miles out.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,959 Captain
    Here's a little info on the funky state water regs around Taylor county. They have a weird little mini season when few other counties have state regs that allow it, but then they close the state waters for gags in times when it would normally be open in just about every other county.

http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/2014/march/27/gag-grouper/
  • pnj2108pnj2108 Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Red Snapper are open is state waters , not federal. So you can't keep them past 9 miles. Good luck finding some state water numbers. There are some, but I don't know of any

i got excited and didnt read the large blue font that said State Waters :banghead

yeah im sure they will be no where to be found in our area :nono