Key Largo Buttonwood Sound - suggestions?

Hi all. I'm taking the boys down camping this weekend in Key Largo (staying at Point of View RV - gulf side - on buttonwood sound). We've never stayed here, but we have stayed almost right across the street (ocean side) and have done lots of fishing over there. I'm wondering if there are any specifics anyone can offer on the gulf side or even more specifically right where we are staying. We have a couple of kayaks, but other than that, we'll be fishing mostly from shore/docks there.

What's biting in the sound?
Are there live bait to be had? I can throw a cast net fine, but need something to target!
Any particular techniques (early morning top water, live shrimp under a popping cork, etc) that will aid in our success rate?
Any spots in particular that we can access easily from shore or in the Yaks with inexperienced teens (meaning don't suggest we paddle a mile out :nono)?

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,838 Admiral
    We took our boat to the northern side of the sound when we were there and found Mangos, small sharks, permit, and grunts. Small hooks for the Mangrove snapper, and flouro leaders, if they see the hook you might as well pack it in.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.