Question about the 40-90 ft drop off Marathon

Hey folks, has anyone ever done any diving on that 40-90 foot drop off of Marathon? Reason I ask is that I want to know what the bottom composition is on that drop. I've been told it's mostly limestone which sort of makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Yes, I have. And yes, it is mostly limestone, not a lot of concentrated structure. I didn't find it particularly "fishy" with regards to fish I would shoot/eat. Lots of other fish, though (pretty ones, parrotfish, etc.) I even found a few lobster (BIG ones) in about 60 feet of water one time. Lots of sea fans, sponges, coral, etc. But again, very spread out.
  • Time BanditTime Bandit Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the response. Were there any holes in it, I.e., the Swiss cheese type of bottom you see around the big bend region?

• grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Thank you for the response. Were there any holes in it, I.e., the Swiss cheese type of bottom you see around the big bend region?

Not much, but granted I only did 2 drops and didn't cover a lot of ground. I'll be there for a week this coming week starting Saturday and might get a chance to dive that area, though we are concentrating more on lobster in the shallower areas, spearing on the patch reefs in less than 50', and dolphin fishing.