Time to Recondition my 1996 189 Input/Feedback Greatly Appreciated

FLNative70FLNative70 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Approaching 16 years ownership of my Florida built 189 and she's in need of a well deserved overhaul/minor recondition. The 189's performance and fish-ability still captivates after all the years. I'll never part with this hull.

Has anybody here had their boat reconditioned by Frank at the factory or purchased a pre-owned factory reconditioned boat from Frank. If so I'd be interested in your overall experience, feedback, and work performed. Pics would be great too. No intentions of having it done elsewhere-just curious/excited. Hear nothing other than amazing compliments of Franks character, integrity, and devoted passion to Egret.

I'd also be more than happy to provide any feedback/recommendations/data about the 189. Fished this boat for 16 years all over South Florida including extreme weather conditions and terrain. Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Biscayne Bay, Upper & Lower Florida Keys, Marquesas, and offshore reef/wrecks,trolling for Dolphin/kite fishing for sailfish, and quite a few lobster diving trips. Many a trips from Islamorada to Flamingo and up to to Harney River/Highland Beach and back to Islamorada. Snook, reds, permit, bonefish ,tarpon. Fly fishing, poling, and plenty of live bait fishing. On my 2nd engine & trailer & spent lot of $$/hours/time dialing boat in through trial and error over the years.(props,tabs,replaced quite a few parts on boat,push poles,batteries/onboard chargers,transducers,trolling motors,baitwell pumps, etc.) Old or new it's still the same hull/performance. Happy to help/share experiences.

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I also have a 96'. There are a few others here that have the older FL built boats and feel the same way as yourself. I rewired mine myself and had the rest of the work done locally in Central FL and it turned out really well. Happy to discuss with you. Not sure its worth dragging it all the way up to the Carolinas.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 227 Deckhand
    I redid a 189 too.......I also did the electrical myself with the help of some good friends from Lenco, had Bausch towers in Stuart do new console rod racks and a backrest and had Fiberworx in Stuart do some glass work and reshoot the nonskid. If you didn't want to tackle the electrical on your own, I'd highly recommend Master Repair in Stuart.....their reputation/work is impeccable. You can order misc parts you need from Egret like the top console drip panel, etc if you want to replace. Sounds like you enjoy dialing the boat in yourself, so you may want to do it locally as you can have more input/control during the process.

If you can take the boat to Egret, I'm sure you'd be happy with the end result......but the distance does create some challenges (more stuff done over the phone, less direct control, etc.). Frank is great to deal with though.
  • SpookSpook Posts: 150 Deckhand
    I redid a 189 too.....into one of the best looking Miami Egrets every....
    Thought I would paraphrase this for you. :)

My first Egret was a 1996 that Frank took in on trade for a new Egret. It was in very good original shape and Frank would do what ever you want to do to the boat.
  • FLNative70FLNative70 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I redid a 189 too.......I also did the electrical myself with the help of some good friends from Lenco, had Bausch towers in Stuart do new console rod racks and a backrest and had Fiberworx in Stuart do some glass work and reshoot the nonskid. If you didn't want to tackle the electrical on your own, I'd highly recommend Master Repair in Stuart.....their reputation/work is impeccable. You can order misc parts you need from Egret like the top console drip panel, etc if you want to replace. Sounds like you enjoy dialing the boat in yourself, so you may want to do it locally as you can have more input/control during the process.

If you can take the boat to Egret, I'm sure you'd be happy with the end result......but the distance does create some challenges (more stuff done over the phone, less direct control, etc.). Frank is great to deal with though.

Thanks for your response. Curious about the improvements/updates to your 189. Mike Flavin of Master Repair? Mike's original shop was here in Ft. Laud. for years. Excellent reputation/work. Everybody used him for trolling motor set up/install/wiring. Curious about all of the improvements/updates performed. I need some gelcoat repair and a nonskid reshoot is on the list. OK to PM you?
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Michael, you're way too kind!

FLNative, feel free to PM or call me at 772.519.3978 if I can help. I would also talk to Egrets Landing......he's a wealth of knowledge and I talked to him before I redid mine. Here is a link to mine when I sold it and lists most of what I redid on the boat with pics.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?171059-2000-C-K-Egret-189-garage-kept-and-restored-in-2010-lots-of-pics

Good luck!
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 211 Deckhand
    I have a 1997 that I bought in 1999. Surprisingly I also still have the same engine. It's a Yami 150 Pro V. Every time I think about replacing it there is an article about the issue with fuel. I think I can run dirt in the engine and still be happy. I rewired the boat about two years ago with Frank's help. I purchased the current wire harness that he is using along with a new drip plate which got too weathered. I had the new harness put in by one of the guys that was doing the rigging in Miami before Frank moved up north. I have had Steve do a few updates for me along the way. Mike over at Master Repair installed the first charger and Trolling Motor on the boat. Since then I have had both replaced. I replaced the GPS for the third time and currently using a Garmin 740 and am happy with it, Works fine for Flamingo where I do the majority of my fishing.
    As for gelcoat it's mostly ok. I have a few spots that has some spider cracking which come from two different items. The first is I use a lift to put the boat in and out of the water while in Miami. The other items which I have been told from two different sources is the original gelcoat was put on too thick and that has contributed to some of the small cracks. The non skid is almost gone from the bow but that's just from using the boat all these years.

mbowers mentions the fuel cap in the next post. I still have the original fuel cap set up.

In general I have been very happy with the boat
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I highly recommend Mike at Master Repair for all the work you don't want to do yourself. His attention to detail and customer service are outstanding and quite unlike most in the boat building business. He's also close enough to check in with and get service from if the rare case of an error happens. He's busy because he's in demand. I've found that by being patient and not rushing him that I've had phenomenally good service.

I've seen good and bad in my old Egret after rebuild when I traded it in. The backrest supports were moved from the rear main hatch to the gap between hatches and removed a leak source which is great. The fuel fill vent lifting ring that I installed and generally fixes the water in the fuel issue was removed and the vented cap was flush mounted to the deck again. New owner left the boat out in the rain and of course got water in the fuel as many of us have. New owner put a lifting ring back under the fill cap again. If you have a separate vent on that older boat DO NOT "downgrade" to the vented fill cap of the newer boats. Jim Gardiner from the old Egret has said those vented caps turned out to be a really bad idea.

Whoever does the work for you I'd suggest you throw everything you plan to do out on the forum first. Way more experience here than in any one factory or shop. I really regret that I didn't do that on my new build.

For non skid I really like the glare cutting aspect of light grey but you probably want to go with a really aggresive grit as the paint may be more slippery than original gel coat. I ordered the roughest possible grit but I think they forgot the grit and just sprayed over the regular non skid. If you care about stuff like that, I think you want to be there and approve the texture in person at the start of spraying.
  • TiredOfGoogansTiredOfGoogans Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    FL Native 70. Just save yourself all the BS hassle, and tow your boat to the factory. Have Frank take care of it. Do your research, and don't listen to the haters or disgruntled numbskulls in this thread. Egrets Landing, and MBowers seem to be the type of guys that always have negative things to say. Don't listen to them. Every time they post they are always *****ing about something like little girls in a Girl Scout Troop. They probably both lead very unhappy lives.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Some people prefer to hear the whole story and appreciate all of the angles on products. Others prefer to hear only the part they like and do their best to ignore the other parts that don't have great congruency with the bubbles in which they exist. They have a big penchant for puffing but it is never tempered by any reality. If you want to do your boat right and make the best choices for you, learn from those that have already done complete renovations, particularly those that did a lot of the work themselves. When it comes to the individual parts and what is good and what isn't so good and what set ups work better than others they will know the best. With that insight you can tailor your renovation to the features that are the most important and choose the best parts and setup for your rig. Weather it be battery locations, engine sizes, poling tower designs, hatches, accessories, hinges, latches, wiring, etc. there are a multitude of choices and some are generally considered to be much better than others. There are a few that appreciate the whole truth here and are not reticent to speak their mind. Then there are others such as goog in jax who live in an egret bubble and could never find a single thing on their boat that could be improved - it would seem from reading their blathering that their boats are blessed by god and are perfect with no room for improvement. You won't learn anything meaningful from them with respect to different choices you may want to consider. If you want the truth about anything really, it's best to not speak exclusively with shallow thinking and even dishonest cool aid drinkers. I'd love to hear how goog reconciles the notion that some of the so called egret haters also own one for 15 years or more and how any research he recommends could provide meaningful insight if it is all based in puffed up bias with no real analysis of what may be improved since so many truths should be ignored as nonsense spewed by haters. The truth is it's a great boat but it's not perfect and there are a lot of things that can be done to make the overall rig better for your use and preferences. The same could be said for any boat -- except perhaps for googs as his must be absolutely perfect.
  • crushabugcrushabug Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I had mine back to the factory and he exceeded my expectations. It was well worth the trip and frank was extremely helpful as always.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Great to hear
    Congrats
    Now, get some hours on her.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    FL Native 70. Just save yourself all the BS hassle, and tow your boat to the factory.
    I'll second the recommendation. Frank renewed my '98 c/k 18.9 about six years ago. The workmanship was first class in every way and Frank was an absolute joy to work with. Everything they did is still flawless six years later!