Offshore Sarasota 7-23-15

We headed down Wednesday with the goal of doing a deep multi-day overnight trip. Unfortunately, the weather gods were not smiling on us. Thursday looked choppy and Friday looked straight up horrible. We changed the game plan and decided to do a standard offshore day trip on Thursday.

Based on the forecast, we turned to tequila to drown our sorrows and enjoyed the local Florida scene. One of our friends fell in love and we couldn't get a hold of him until about 9AM the next day. We finally got the crew up and moving and arrived at the boat at about 10:15 and struggled to catch any live bait. We headed West into a strong head wind. We wanted to get out deep but made a call to stay inside 100 FOW based on fairly rough conditions.

We fished for snapper at a couple different areas of nice structure but struggled to get on the bite despite being on nice shows and using a variety of baits and tackle combinations. One of the spots was overrun with banded rudderfish and the other was full of blue runners. We did bring a few nice mangos to the boat but it wasn't our finest day.

We were successful in finding a ridiculous grouper spot in about 80 FOW. Every drop was a keeper and there were some huge fish there. I love the afternoon bite and when it goes off it can be incredible. This was probably the best grouper bite I have ever seen this shallow.

With the storms building all around us we headed in and called it a day. We did get our limit of grouper, but other than that it was a pretty mediocre day. On a positive note, I got my transducer swapped out and it is reading beautifully. The take home points for the day: (1) take it easy on the tequila and (2) the big red grouper are in shallow... hit up a few spots in 70-80 before you waste the time and fuel on a deeper run.

A couple of the red grouper

The first transducer- very grainy, poor target separation

New transducer- dramatic improvement in resolution, target separation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    U were nice to wait for the friend, i would have left him, nice report
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Nice groupers Ryan, Tequila and early mornings never seem to go well, at least not for me, however Tequila and "falling in love" can go hand in hand. Be safe and enjoy your trip down.
  • Angler22Angler22 Posts: 85 Deckhand
    Glad you got over the Tequila and made a great day of it.
  • Laguna23Laguna23 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Nice fish and a good report. We went out a week ago and must have run over the grouper on our way out to 130 feet.
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Nice report. I know I've been a stalker on your transducer issue, that first shot looks terrible... You weren't kidding about poor readings. What did you have then switch too? Better performance while running at speed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    mtbrider85 wrote: »
    Nice report. I know I've been a stalker on your transducer issue, that first shot looks terrible... You weren't kidding about poor readings. What did you have then switch too? Better performance while running at speed?

I had the B175HW. I switched to the B175H. Primary difference is the angle of the cone. It is better with running but we still get some aeration if it is rough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    That is cheating.... no high tech bottom finders allowed in less than 100 feet!
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    RMD wrote: »
    I had the B175HW. I switched to the B175H. Primary difference is the angle of the cone. It is better with running but we still get some aeration if it is rough.

I have the same ducer(B175HW).... based off your results i need to pull the same move as you, but then again, dropping another grand for a different ducer isn't popular in my house. Maybe if i can pass it off as a medical expense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That is cheating.... no high tech bottom finders allowed in less than 100 feet!

For us "tourists", we need all the help we can get, LOL Jeff.

Actually if you'd get rid of the overabundance of lawyers down there maybe I could come work there some day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    mtbrider85 wrote: »
    I have the same ducer(B175HW).... based off your results i need to pull the same move as you, but then again, dropping another grand for a different ducer isn't popular in my house. Maybe if i can pass it off as a medical expense.

I was super bummed out about the HW. The picture was horrible. Worse than my base level Raymarine from 5 years ago which cost 1/3 of the Simrad. The problem after talking to about 20 people at Simrad is that many old customers complained that they couldn't find fish with the narrow cone angle (the B175H has a 6-10 degree cone angle). As a result Simrad widened the cone for the HW its 25 degrees. That's great for finding baitfish and some larger schools of fish over a much larger area, but this comes at the expense of resolution.

In addition to getting the new 'ducer I also got the software upgrade for my electronics. Apparently its completely new and should help with some of the issues you are experiencing. Who did you buy it from and how long ago?

Feel free to drop me a line on my email if you want to talk privately about this. [email protected]

Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 390 Deckhand
    Nice Ryan