Home General Freshwater Fishing

Freshwater boards been slow

anyone out there doing it or is it just too darned hot? Personally I am out recovering 7/23 - 9/2 (Hernia Surgery) so I have lots of time to read...

My fishing buddies are still catching them at about the rate of 5-7 in the morning but they have been getting anywhere from 15-25 on the afternoon bite. All schooling bass and fast action. Not certain what bait is schooling now but their consensus is some type of Minnow but a little deeper body than the silver or green minnows we are used to. Lures are 2 3/4" Grub type plastic on 1/8 oz jig or Small Twitch baits (Small Sebile Stick Shad). Since the morning bite has been a bit slow right now, they have been in the Indian River chasing Juvie Poons, Trout and Redfish with moderate success early morning then later hit the Freshwater St Johns...win win.

My one Catfish catching buddy is knocking the "ding" out of'em in the 10-20# class from the bank. Nice mix of Channel, Butter and Flathead Cats. He uses mostly Mussels and larger Clams he gets on the river for bait and since the Mullet have been so abundant last few months he has been using some cut mullet as well.

So lets hear whats going on...

Keep'em near the fish,
R/
Dave
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    Heck that's all I been doing... I got hurt a while back ago and can't go jetty hopping so I hit the local ponds/lakes... but we hit them
    late at nite... the bait was all over the place this pass weekend and the bass seem to be targeting topwater baits like frogs...

I have also been hitting a local canals late in the afternoon and the senkos have been killing them... overall we been doing pretty good
    as long as we figure out what they want... they seem to be pretty picky right now...(late at nite)
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Crystal RiverPosts: 658 Officer
    I would agree on the afternoon bite as well. Don't bother start till 3pm sun is down around 8pm. It's nice an cool at sunrise but dying by noon. It's still pretty hot when I fish the evening
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    Been really slow with me.
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    I'm hoping to get out this weekend, been to busy lately to get out. but I better get some fishing in before football season or else I'm never gonna find time..:rotflmao
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    RealSeabee wrote: »
    Personally I am out recovering 7/23 - 9/2 (Hernia Surgery)

A result of hoisting all those bull reds over the gunnel, no doubt... :grin
  • TD-AnglinTD-Anglin Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Well yesterday i couldn't even spell freshwater, but now I'm hooked. Been getting a bit frustrated at my BRL spots so decided to switch it up a bit, and had some decent success for a newbie. Hit up the St johns early found some decent action at a river mouth on a shad imitation popper managing 5 in a row with the last one being fairly decent, first pic. As soon as it warmed up a bit i moved to the thick stuff and started flipping a craw bait and got two more the second a nice one too, second pic. Anyway its all new to me so any advice/suggestions are appreciated. Definitely want to come back for the evening bite!
    http://sobesurf.com/
    sobe-surf-logo-1.png
    Surf Lessons, Stand Up Paddle Lessons, Tours, Rentals and Equipment Sales
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    well then all I can say is sign me up for another hernia then because I plan to wear them out Sep/Oct/Nov...last year we caught 196 Reds in that timeline...... we'll see. LOL
    A result of hoisting all those bull reds over the gunnel, no doubt... :grin
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!