Mosquito Lagoon 8/13

Early morning rains were over by the time we got on the water (around 6:30.) Less than 50 yards from the ramp, we hit up a big school of big mullet that were being molested by some unseen force. Within no time it yielded up a lower slot red.

Water was high and murky. Wind was light and coming from the NW though weatherchannel.com said SW/ W.

Prudence should have dictated that we continue the hunt for Reds until our limit (2) was reached, but all of the rolling Tarpon had me a little mesmerized, so off we went. Jumped a nice 15# almost immediately that was hooked solidly but made the brilliant decision to greyhound right to and straight behind the canoe, breaking off as the line went slack then tight again. I held my breath because that is my "new favorite" rod (7'6" ML) and had visions of it doubling over before snapping in half, but my part time fishing buddy it was lent to had the presence of mind to point the rod in the direction the fish was travelling at the last second, averting disaster. (Whew!) Not a small feat for someone who doesn't fish that often in my confining and very tippy canoe.

Early success has its drawbacks as we jumped a couple more in short order then spent the next few hours in futile attempts to get a solid hookup again.

About the time we considered going back to redfishing, the effects of the storm rolling in which had already engulfed the north end of the lagoon were being felt so we packed it in by 10:30, having not traveled more than 200 yards from the ramp. (On a typical day it's an hour ride back.)
cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
greggl wrote: »
Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
nuevowavo wrote:
Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
:rotflmao

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    I hope the storms ease up soon, I'd like to come up that way in a few weeks to try Mosquito Lagoon for myself.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    If you don't have anyone more experienced lined up, (and I can think of not a few forum members off the top of my head,) the invitation is still open...

If you wait a little longer than that, you can hit the Lagoon and the mullet run off the beach.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    :beer
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!