Offshore Pompano 8/11/15 Fishing report

Launched with 6 live gogs at 645am.......It was a flat calm beautiful day. A few rain clouds in the morning, kept it cooler, but it never rained. There were alot less weeds, than usual. The current finally died.....and with it so did most of the fishing :( ....except the bonita. Since it was so calm, the bonita could be seen feeding at long distances. I monitor VHF 72 to listen in on the local charter boats, most of them had gone further offshore, and where constantly checking in to see if the current had picked up on the reefs. I hit the wrecks hard for zilch......2 bite offs by Sharks. Current eventually became a weak north drift in the afternoon. I had one barracuda in the morning, and based on the radio chatter, seems like the charter boats also caught a few, other than that, it was a steady pick on the bonita, and an enjoyable day on the water.

Replies

• Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Nice report. I'm not a meteorologist, but those clouds had funnel written all over them! I don't mind catching a couple bonitas on the jig, but when they eat my $6 baits it's a problem.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 858 Officer
    Went Sunday to fish the wrecks but the current 2 1/2 knots plus. Weeds were really heavy. More peddling than jigging.

The last Pic of the sky was really cool, I saw that on 95 as I was heading south.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Relaxing just to be on the water!! At least you weren't skunked I guess!! Thanks for sharing.. Timmcollins was that you I was talking to at 16 street?? I had the pro angler!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,847 Captain
    Went Sunday to fish the wrecks but the current 2 1/2 knots plus. Weeds were really heavy. More peddling than jigging.

I may have seen you out there on Sunday. Yeah, weeds were bad, and the current strong. I had zilch for 6 live gogs, and could not even catch a bonita....I did try. I did eek out a nice mutton on a dead gog, and got bit off on 4 jigs :(