Line choice

I know mono is the best for live baiting and slow trolling live baits . But on the kayak I have always used braid and it has work just fine with fluorocarbon leader material offshore . But been contemplating switching to mono for my live bait rods. Wondering what you guys have or prefer on the kayak offshore braid or mono ?

Thanks and tight lines :fishing

Replies

• rdny041285rdny041285 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    I didn't like braided. I have used it before and had liked it but most recently using it, everytime I wanted to switch my lures, the braid would be a little frayed on the end so it was sometimes tough for me to get it through my knot loops. Right now I just use 12 lb mono with 20 or 30 lb Fluoro. I caught a big ol sting ray a few weeks ago using that and didn't have any problems. But once I cut the sting ray loose, I had to cut off a little bit of line that had stretched a bit. After reeling that thing in, I don't think I will ever have a need for braid.
  • crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 379 Deckhand
    Old school mono kinda guy. I have always used it and have never had any problems.

Mike
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    This forum is littered with braid vs mono threads, so I encourage you to search. Personally though, I can think of two occasions when trolling with braid contributed to losing a fish:
    - First was a kingfish which made a strong initial run and when I upped the drag a bit the knot to the leader broke.
    - Second was a sailfish which was hooked on some older braid and the line rubbed against some oyster rash on my kayak and the line frayed and popped.

Should I be blamed for those two incidents? ABSOLUTELY. My drag was too tight for the first, and the second was careless of me.

However, could mono have helped in those incidents? YES!
    - Mono has more stretch/elasticity to the line, so in the first incident I would have had a margin of error by not stressing the terminal connections as sharply.
    - Mono has more abrasion resistance and, when combined with the already-mentioned line stretch, would have made for a better chance at landing that sailfish.

FWIW, my trolling reels have had 20# mono and 40# leader ever since.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,795 Captain
    Braid is must have for verticle jigging, but find that for live bait it tangles easier, and is harder to undue if tangled. on sabiki rigs, I find I loose alot more fish with braid than if I use mono which can stretch to absorb the shock. For bait prefer mono.
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    After a couple years of kayak fishing with 3 spinning reels spooled with braid, I bought a Shimano TLD 25 spooled with 30lb mono for live bait fishing. If you fish with a live bait on a balloon or downrigger, braid does become a challenge. The only other negative thing about braid I can think of is that it cuts up my fingers and smaller diameters seem more prone to wind knots. It's absolutely sick for feeling a fish bite and with a 20' wind on leader you can fish it like mono for most methods. Of course the diameter to strength ratio is super natural.
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Most guys I see using braid offshore have about 4-6 feet of either mono or flouro leader. I'm thinking they prefer the castability and sensitivity of the braid and the advantage of being able to put more braid on a spool than mono due to its smaller diameter, and have the leader as a shock absorber and for abrasion resistance. Ive tried using braid offshore and it is great if you need to get a fish off the bottom away from structure quickly and also as John stated for jigging, or fishing very deep, but I would stick to mono with live bait. Tangles with braid can ruin your entire spool and its a major pain (not to mention how expensive it can get) I only use braid inshore for casting distance and sensitivity.
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    After a couple years of kayak fishing with 3 spinning reels spooled with braid, I bought a Shimano TLD 25 spooled with 30lb mono for live bait fishing. If you fish with a live bait on a balloon or downrigger, braid does become a challenge. The only other negative thing about braid I can think of is that it cuts up my fingers and smaller diameters seem more prone to wind knots. It's absolutely sick for feeling a fish bite and with a 20' wind on leader you can fish it like mono for most methods. Of course the diameter to strength ratio is super natural.

Put a band-aid on your fingers that typically get sliced, it will prevent you from getting cut and having to really use one later :wink. Works great, or some waterproof medical tape. Takes a little bit to get used to but its better than getting braid cuts. They make paddling (and life) miserable
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Hey, do you guys have a favorite for mono ? I am done with the tangles etc from Power Pro braid. I followed all the tips from here like not over spooling, smooth casts and always trying to keep the line tight to the spool. To me it seems as the soon as the wind blows, it's never about if, it's about when it will tangle. I have a Penn 440ssg and a 450ssg. I welcome your suggestions as come Monday I want to have fresh line installed and ready to go. Thanks Jules.
    image-logo.png
  • krashkrash Posts: 634 Officer
    Trilene XL 10, or Ande 12
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • SportsFanSportsFan Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Thanks Krash, as it happens I had about an 1/2 spool of Trilene XL 10 so I used that on the 450 reel. Might try that tonight if the weather holds.
    image-logo.png