Home General Freshwater Fishing

Season Tactics?

So with summer time here, what is the preferred bait and technique? The water is clear, warm, and flat. I am mostly fishing from the shore. Your help and advice is always greatly appreciated!
A bad day of fishing is still a good day.

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Since you are fishing from shore> fish either super early in the morning/really late in the afternoon or better yet> Late at nite..

I prefer fishing late at nite... nobody to bother you other then the bugs/snakes and gators if they are around :grin
    bass aren't jumping over themselves to get to your lure during the summer... they have move into deeper
    cooler water... and that's why at times people don't know where they are...

So here you go> Look for structure that will hold bass... be it a weedline/trees/points... anything that looks
    fishy....Go in light (I use a backpack) and I will carry two to three rods depending on my mood that day...
    wear pants (not shorts) long sleeve shirt and bring good bug spray... if you don't care for bug much..get one
    of those head nets... they work pretty good...

Oh and the closer to the water you get the more Bugs there will be>:banghead..... Rods> one is setup for
    casting weightless worms...(dark colors)...Use whatever worm YOU have faith in.... then go from there...
    My other setup is Heavy> I can throw large worms or swim baits/hard lures.....

Try to work your lure from every angle at what you working....also listen for feeding fish..Case in point... I left
    a corner and my buddy came and work it... on his first cast he got hammer and got the biggest fish of the nite.
    I mess up by not working that entire spot...

Fishing at nite isn't really bad at all... but it does help if you fish with somebody else.... what we do is scout
    new areas out during the day, then come back at nite... again if you can't fish at nite.... then just hit your
    areas> at Dawn or dusk....

Oh did I mention "BUG SPRAY"......:grin
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • 01190119 Posts: 155 Deckhand
    I think it depends where you are at. Summer in s.w. fl. is hot, water hot! The fish are sluggish and the water full of fiberous algae from snowbirds over fertilizing before they left. Anything that works under the surface gets frustrating pretty quick. To avoid pulling up gobs of goo I stick to topwater and sub surface baits. For me summer is finesse time since the bass are so sluggish, so baits are kept on the small size.
  • ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 459 Deckhand
    Summer is when i flip heavy cover and go to the big 10"plus size worms and work them slow
    My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
    Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    Hot summer months in FLA are what Tom Mann's made the No8 Purple or Black Jelly worm for...LOL. No matter when, I always agree with SLOW. "Draggin Plastic"...all summer.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!