Home Conservation Forums

2 day bag limits

I was planning on doing a middle grounds trip.We are planning on running out on a saturday,spend night on water out there and come home sunday.Being two days on water what is the ruling on bringing back two day bag limits.Are there logs to record or anything special needed?I know there are boats that run out for two,three day trips.

Replies

• ComandanteComandante Posts: 290 Deckhand
    Two day limit only applies to charter and or headboats that have at least two licensed operators onboard.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,289 Moderator
    Here's the answer from FWC website
    Ask MY FWC wrote:
    Question:

I will be on a multi-day fishing trip on my boat. Can I keep my bag limit for each day until I return to the dock?
    Answer:

The daily bag limits set by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) rule for fishing are for a calendar day (24 hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day's bag limit "while in, on, or above the waters of the state or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach, or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species. Once you have caught and possess the bag limit for a species, you may not harvest more of that species until the next 24 hour period. It is illegal to take the catch to shore and then return to the sea to harvest another daily bag limit during the same calendar day.

Florida reef fish regulations [68B-14.0036 (8) (a) and (b)] have some specific exceptions to the general rule stated above. Specifically, the reef fish (grouper, snapper, amberjack) rule allows a person fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours to possess 2 days bag limit provided the vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger and the passenger has a receipt which verifies the length of the trip. If you will be in federal waters, federal regulations will apply.

Violations may be determined at the officer's discretion in any situation where the officer can not quickly and easily determine that the catch was harvested on two separate days. Generally, an officer will enforce the one day possession bag limit. For more information on this topic visit the FWC Division of Marine Fisheries Management Daily Bag Limits for Extended Trips web page.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    I was planning on doing a middle grounds trip.We are planning on running out on a saturday,spend night on water out there and come home sunday.Being two days on water what is the ruling on bringing back two day bag limits.Are there logs to record or anything special needed?I know there are boats that run out for two,three day trips.

A private boat is not allowed to bring in a two day bag limit. Charter/head boats are able to, if they meet certain restrictions.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement