Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

First large snook in Sebastian.

Was out Wednesday evening fishing off the north jetty. Casting bucktails nailed 3 good snook, and lost a tarpon. I was just down on vacation. Got them because of some of the tips I got here. Had a great trip I will be back in the fall

Replies

  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    Nice work Frank!....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,047 Captain
    Great snook - that will be hard to follow up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

    https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

    https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

  • BigwaveDaveBigwaveDave Posts: 319 Officer
    Very nice fish
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
  • ChasenTailsChasenTails Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Congrats on the memorable catch!
  • dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Nicesh!!
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Joe the guy who helped me out with the fish said it was 39 inches ,he went by the grading on the pier. What would you estimate the weight of that snook. I`am already looking forward to returning in the fall. I will be tying up some bucktails would you like a few { northern style of course }
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Robm00923 wrote: »
    Right on Man!
    Thanks Rob , I do a lot of flounder fishing up north. I will be retiring by Sebastian inlet. Looking forward to fishing for flounder in the inlet. Seems to be totally different from the way we fish in the northeast. But I`am looking forward to learning how to fish the inlet.
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    thanks everyone.. It killed me to leave there and go back to new york , but I will be living there in about 2 years .
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    seadog517 wrote: »
    Thanks Rob , I do a lot of flounder fishing up north. I will be retiring by Sebastian inlet. Looking forward to fishing for flounder in the inlet. Seems to be totally different from the way we fish in the northeast. But I`am looking forward to learning how to fish the inlet.

    Bring killies and squid..... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    seadog517 wrote: »
    Joe the guy who helped me out with the fish said it was 39 inches ,he went by the grading on the pier. What would you estimate the weight of that snook. I`am already looking forward to returning in the fall. I will be tying up some bucktails would you like a few { northern style of course }

    39 inches should be over 20 lbs.... weight can vary pre-spawn / post spawn
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    seadog517 wrote: »
    thanks everyone.. It killed me to leave there and go back to new york , but I will be living there in about 2 years .

    I was thinking what this area needs..and it came to me..

    One more New Yorker..... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Bring killies and squid..... :rotflmao

    I just coughed up my lunch! Haven't heard the term "Killies" once since I moved here a few years ago LOL!

    Can't tell you how many hours I spent as a kid on Barnegat Bay seining for Killies and Spearing and then selling the live baits to a couple local crabbing shops…great times.

    BTW - Great job on the inlet Snook…you had yourself a great time for sure
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I was thinking what this area needs..and it came to me..

    One more New Yorker..... :rotflmao
    Wow, Joe I have feeling you know..Not really iam from ny. Killies, I don`t even know if they sell them anymore. If i can find them i will bring 2 quarts. Thanks net , It was a great evening catching those snook. The next night I caught nothing , I did notice all the greens were gone, they were all over the night i had the fish. How do you like living down there.
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 177 Deckhand
    good job Frank. I catch a lot of over sized linesiders in Fort Lauderdale that fall in that size range. Depending on girth, they can go anywhere from 18-23 lbs on average. A true 30 pounder is huge. The biggest I have to date is a 28 pounder that was 44" and massive. I see a lot of Snooks held up that guys claim to be thirty pounds. Hanging them from their gills to get a good weight will probably harm the fish. The fish I actually weighed that were big were caught years ago when you could kill one fish over 34' ( maybe 36" ). There are a few guides up there that fish just beyond the north jetty. it can be a parking lot out there. just out of casting range from the jetty. hook up with a local guide when you come back down. Good luck!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    Net 30 wrote: »
    I just coughed up my lunch! Haven't heard the term "Killies" once since I moved here a few years ago LOL!

    Can't tell you how many hours I spent as a kid on Barnegat Bay seining for Killies and Spearing and then selling the live baits to a couple local crabbing shops…great times.

    BTW - Great job on the inlet Snook…you had yourself a great time for sure

    George, the first time I saw mud minnows I thought " Killies " :)
    My Dad owned a rental boat station / marina.
    As a youngster, I trapped killies in spring/summer for Fluke season...and picked mussels in fall/winter/early spring for money..... I would come home from school....ride my bike on my paper route ( Newsday) ....then haul **** in my Garvey to haul traps or pick a bushel or two of mussels before dark. My Dad worked me like a rented mule! :grin.....but payed well too.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • QuiksilverIHBQuiksilverIHB Posts: 467 Officer
    Nice fish. No you need to come down for big winter Reds.

    High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Nice fish. No you need to come down for big winter Reds.
    my next trip is in late October on the full moon....How does the full moon affect the fishing...
  • fsuduckfsuduck Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Nice Snook. Congrats.
Sign In or Register to comment.