7/27- Coming up just short again!

Went out early to do some topwater to try for Snook Spankers 40" club. Conditions were ideal with light breeze, overcast sky and low incoming tide, although there was more water than I would have preferred. Went to one of my favorite big Snook haunts and got after it with my favorite lure. Of course my trolling motor quit after a couple minutes. Problem was foot pedal(Big Foot) which is wired in series so I couldn't bypass it. Thought about it for a couple minutes and then got my ice pick out and pierced it through both wires, effectively bypassing it and used the handle old school like:cool. Now only problem was no fish....for the first hour. Then I get a 30" Snook. Then another small Snook hits my line and frays it up....new leader. By now I am fishing spots where I've never fished before. Paid off with this massive 39" Snook that was the toughest I've ever caught. 3 jumps and 3 long runs and somehow she didn't wrap herself up in the sargasm. Missed another big one a few casts later and left early with the grandkids visiting at home. It was a raggedy Snook, not a beauty like Pete's, but then my face makes up for it.:grin Still a little short. :banghead. A little tip: target sargasm in moving water this time of year.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,580 Captain
    Looks like a beautiful fish to me and a great trip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,701 Captain
    t was a raggedy Snook, not a beauty like Pete's, but then my face makes up for it.:grin

Fortunately your face was partially hidden like Mr. Wilson...and how I am in my pictures. :rotflmao Nice snook Ted and glad you got out before it rained...again.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,205 AG
    Break out the fish stretcher. The one they use at publix to sell those 10" yellowtails....
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,861 Moderator
    Tail pinch = 40" . You made it.

That's a dandy ! Keeping it out of the weeds was tough I bet.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Officer
    When you say sargasm you mean that tall floaty grass right? I hope to put my stepdad on a big snook sometime but its hard to target the big'ns here in Bayport/Pine Island
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,240 Officer
    Yea, it's tall and brown and floats at low tide or no water movement. If there is good water flow it looks like water flowing around rocks as it moves back and forth. Only problem is it is like rope and when a fish of any size wraps up in it it's tough to catch them.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    That's a beast Ted. After seeing the pics I'm even madder that I couldn't go today. At least I could've taken the pic.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 924 Officer
    Sweet! That's a fine looking snook HHT!
  • cthurowcthurow Withlacoochee to Cedar KeyPosts: 503 Officer
    Looks like a beautiful fish to me and a great trip.

:Agree
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Very Nice Ted
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Landlocked_Landlocked_ Posts: 590 Officer
    Thats a brute Ted, nice going
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 614 Officer
    Great fish, well done Ted. Front page material for sure. :hail
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,814 Captain
    Great job Ted! Thats an awesome snook Ted! I have found that it's not how nny inches these big girls are but what kind of battle rhey fight! From what you said she sound like a really special Lady who gave her all and Ya can't ask for much more than that! I would love to catch her again any time!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,240 Officer
    You're right, Pete, I fish 90% of the time for Snook and never keep any, so the thrill of catching them is paramount and the battle is a big part of that. 40" is a lofty goal for a west coast fish and one I've been pursuing for a couple years, but I'm not sure I really want to get there since I'm not sure what the next achievable goal would be. Having a blast with it now. This fish kicked out of my grip and swam away out of sight briskly after only a few minutes reviving. She is a tough one.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,532 Captain
    I am impressed that ya'll can target and catch those beautiful fish.
  • ReelRedneckReelRedneck Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Sorry Ted I lost you reply. Would you kindly send the message again. Apologize for the inconvenience. Still learning my iPad etc. many thanks. Ed

Hi Ted. first I always enjoy your post very much. Second my dream haS been to catch a nice snook. Age almost 77, have a house in woodland Estate in Cr. have been fishing CR for over 30 years. Was wondering if you know someone that I can hire, individual or guide , to take me snook fishing in theirboat or my Ranger Banshee and teach me some pointers. Several trips would be my plans. Honey holes not desired, nor interest in. The above is my intentions before I age out. Will be happy to send my email address or cell no. Many thanks for your time and help.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Good one Ted
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Sweet....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • flsnookhunterflsnookhunter Posts: 196 Deckhand
    Great Fish! Im sure there will be plenty more slob snook in your future. Check out www.fishforsnook.com for some tips and other great stuff