Home Evinrude

Oil Problem Evinrude 175 Ficht 2003

GRKGRK Posts: 17 Greenhorn
Hi,
After my last 2 offshore trolling trips I noticed that I am using A LOT more xd50 oil than normal. I have oil staining on the transom and dark oil leaking out of the Lower unit mid section meeting seam and inside the prop exhaust is coated in oil. The engine runs fine and there is no excessive smoke while running in the water or on the hose.

I have disconnected the return oil line at the oil tank and marked a container at 12 floz and started the engine. The service manual states that you should get about 12 oz in approx. 2 min. I am getting double that amount, 12 oz in 1 min.
I then removed the oil pressure regulator and vacuum tested it. The manual says that it should open at no more than 12 hg mine is opening at about 10hg.
The manual states that there is a internal nozzle in the end of the oil injector housing and if this nozzle is leaking it can cause excessive oil consumption.

This leads me to believe that I have bad oil injector/manifold. (900.00$ part)
Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?
Thank you for any help!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• BillgranBillgran Posts: 350 Deckhand
    there are pressure tests that should be done according to the factory service manual. One is testing the oil pressure after the injector but before the regulator and run the motor at all speeds. The other is a test of the checkvalve pop-off pressure inside the oil injector.

Check engine idle temperatures to make sure the thermostats are operational and that your motor is turning up around 5800 rpm for best results.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

• GRKGRK Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the help, I will do as you have said and see what I find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]