Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lobster in Vero SI area?

Replies

• GreenfeanGreenfean Posts: 77 Deckhand
    I'm hoping to do the same off my yak.
    Tarpon 120
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    I don't have any numbers for that area.
    I have been told you can swim out and free dive 15' to 25' and get them.

I'd bring a float like a tow behind tube if I was swimming off the beach.
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    The keys would be best for first time trip shallow clear water. Snorkeling off the beach at SI or Vero can be done but would be very hard for a first timer. You have to swim out past the breakers and dive down to find the rocks (Reef) 10 to 20 feet deep of water. Water visibility is about 10 ft. on a good day. I would make the trip to the keys. You will have a good time in the keys for sure.:Rockon
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Wouldn't he need a boat in the keys?
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Having a boat would be better but there is a lot of places from shore you can go to get lobster. A inner tube with a laundry basket with a lid will work great. Wally world has blow up boats that will also work for diving from shore.
  • holymackerelholymackerel Posts: 232 Officer
    surface of highway60,go towards Boiler wreck.Lots of ledges on way out.You can also try the UDT/SEAL museum of Ft.Pierce straight down A1A from vero.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,309 Admiral
    It can be done easily but for goodness sake please use a dive flag and be very careful of boat traffic. Inner tube and big wash tub is how we used to do it from Vero on down.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    As mentioned before water depths can range between 10-15 feet if youre are not used to free diving its easy to get worn out and thats when people get in distress. I would suggest scouting some areas this weekend from sebastian, wabasso, the boiler wreck, and rio mar reef. there are usually hundreds of boat out for mini season so just be careful. Ive also seen some big sharks so be aware of your surroundings.
  • wingbreakerwingbreaker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    thanks for the info guys. hopefully water clarity goes back to the way it was a couple of days ago. :(
  • SeaSpySeaSpy Posts: 410 Deckhand
    Went today.
    Vis not to good.
    You have to be a skilled free diver
    Do to the poor vis most of time.
    Hlwd/ ft laud. Would be better.
    Always take a dive flag with you and a tube
    or a yak.

Good luck.
    Ron Alford Expert Investigations & Surveillance
    www.seaspy.theplan.com
    i found a nice reef south of the inlet a few miles, great for free diving. nobody in the area saw a single lobster. beautiful reef though a tad bit clearer and it would be super fun just to snorkel.
  • VeroWingVeroWing Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    thanks for the info guys. hopefully water clarity goes back to the way it was a couple of days ago. :(

Check just south of inlet. Check reefs in this pic. My neighbor says he does well here, but I've actually never seen him with one.
    VeroWing wrote: »
    Check just south of inlet. Check reefs in this pic. My neighbor says he does well here, but I've actually never seen him with one.

i've been killing the muttons there. but i didn't try for lobster there, current is tough. i did try inside the inlet just small ones.