Homosassa River

2»

Replies

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 988 Officer
    maybe it's time for FL to require a boating license?!?

I'd like to take a couple kids out fishing this evening out of Bayport, what time do most of the scallopers head in?
    Have not fished around home since early June due to all the mayhem.

really sucks that grouper season and scalloping season are in full swing at the same time. scallop season should be Sept. 1 > Oct. 1
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Billy wrote: »
    If the air boat was dark green and ugly then I'm a friend of that guy...I've spent time at his house. Least he thanked you. He's a doctor and not a sailor. :)

There is a solution to the traffic if your boat can run skinny water. And you know the route.

It's "that" river to the south that Jim refers to (I'll take you out sometime Jim) and it does indeed need learning. Couple other ways out too but you better know the way. Sure beats running the main river that is full of idiots.

Bill

You showed me the run to the north, man am I grateful for that. I think I have now hit all the snags possible to hit in Mason's Crick, so I guess that means I have it figured out somewhat.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,701 Captain
    You showed me the run to the north, man am I grateful for that. I think I have now hit all the snags possible to hit in Mason's Crick, so I guess that means I have it figured out somewhat.

Yeah...I meant to say the river to the north. Mason Creek can be ugly too, the Chaz certainly is, but if you want to go out Homosassa there are side trips that will work when you learn them and you have a skinny water boat.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,789 Captain
    Ruff One wrote: »
    How do you deal with the "idiots"? Enforcement! This is scallop season, so there should be more then the usual courtesy trip from FWC and the sheriff. Put some boats out there, give some tickets(lots of them), that will either slow them down or run them off. Call your local numbers for the sheriff or FWC and complain. It worked for the Cobia tournament. One boat with his lights on straighten out the whole crowd!

FWC ? Puleeze...
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • SouldeepSouldeep Posts: 269 Officer
    wvinfl12 wrote: »
    I am with everyone here. I usually go out of Pete's and every single time, I must be missing something as I thought it was no wake until you get well clear of the area as the signs are there, but every single time, here comes Johnny Rocket in a rush to get to the next no wake zone on the river. I have yet to see a single law enforcement officer down there in that area which should take care of that. They should be out there every morning waiting at the start of the 25mph ready to stop whoever is coming out of there on plane, and it happens A LOT!!!!! I don't mind getting pulled over for a safety check myself as my stuff is current, nothing expired and I play by the rules, but it irritates me that they spend their time mostly on that instead of enforcing that area by Pete's.

Most of the area between Pete's and the start of the river is 25mph during the day June 1 - Aug 15. http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/CrystalRiver-Tearsheet.pdf See page 2...
    Pro Line 251 - 225 Optimax
    Fisher 1754 - 60 Merc

2 boats is 2 to many and at least 1 shy of enough
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Souldeep wrote: »
    Most of the area between Pete's and the start of the river is 25mph during the day June 1 - Aug 15. http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/CrystalRiver-Tearsheet.pdf See page 2...

Thanks for putting that up............that clears it up for me, but it does not clear up why the FWC when they are in that area are insisting on slowing it down to a no wake as I have been warned before......and with all the kayaks and canoes in there, why would anyone chance hurting anyone? Hence that is why I just wait till I get to that sign.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,804 Admiral
    That used to be the summer recreation zone..
    It was nice to ski there without all those derelict sailboats and powerboats.
    JMO if you can't afford to keep them at a marina then you can't afford the boat.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,168 AG
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    That used to be the summer recreation zone..
    It was nice to ski there without all those derelict sailboats and powerboats.
    JMO if you can't afford to keep them at a marina then you can't afford the boat.

What are people just leaving them out on the water?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    What are people just leaving them out on the water?
    yep, and during good storms some break loose.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,168 AG
    yep, and during good storms some break loose.

I was wondering about that down in Key Largo, buttonwood sound was littered with boats that looked like they had no one on them in months.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    The ones in the bay behind Crackers are kind of a homeless camp, they move from boat to boat when discovered by the absentee owners.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 545 Officer
    Interesting that this topic came up. I spent last saturday as a passenger in a friends pontoon puttering around CR. First time in a long time that I was a passenger and could just sit back with a cool beverage and enjoy the sights. I was pretty amazed at the condition of most of the moored boats in the bay. Some have multiple rotten mooring lines and it looks like someone just come by and puts another one on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    Couple of years back on the CCSO sexual predator site one's address was listed as "sailboat, 300 yds NW of Pete's Pier."
    It rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    It rubs the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again.
    ok?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,920 Captain
    Couple of years back on the CCSO sexual predator site one's address was listed as "sailboat, 300 yds NW of Pete's Pier."

LOL. I guess that's one way to find a place to live since they have a hard time finding any legal place to live since they can't live within a certain proximity of schools and whatnot.
  • Dveres95Dveres95 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Opening few weeks of scallop season some of the tourist tried to avoid the crowds and dared to run Mason Creek, most of them by now have no lower unit left and it is once again peaceful in my fishing area. :rotflmao
    ok?

Silence of the Lambs reference. Got that vibe going past a few of those boats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    Silence of the Lambs reference. Got that vibe going past a few of those boats.
    Got it...
    and it fits.