Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Super slam

These don't come around often for me...only my second this year. I'll put this weeks fishing in here first though.
The first three days of the week..Mon Tue and Wed I was held out of a slam by a Redfish every day. I saw a couple Mon and Tue but did not even see one Wed. The "Up" side was on Monday I was so sure I would score...and caught 17 Snook...each one I was hoping it was a Red. A good bit of action though.
Tuesday I got into trout...caught 11 and got three snook...but the reds I saw were not having the DOA.
Wed was a mixed bag again with decent numbers of fish again...but no Red.
So, Thursday I had a different mission. My older brother (75) was set to fish with me on Friday. At his age...hard to know which trip will bo our last together so I don't care about glamour fish...just a good bit of action. I found a couple spots that held trout and then darted out the inlet to look around and saw clean but cool water...but found enough blues, jacks, Spanish macs,and blue runners to have that be a fall back plan.
Friday we head out and it goes well... we mugged the Trout landing over 20 and missing/losing many more. We then ran out the inlet and wailed on Blues Jacks blue runners and I think my brother had a legit shot at a record ladyfish...a monster! I was so glad to really keep my brother bent up on fish....a real "day out" for us.

So, today I figure things will get rained out early. First spot is empty but spot two yields 6 nice fat trout. I am sure I could have kept catching but i knew I had to go get busy if I wanted a slam. I was finally able to hit a spot with the tide up and ebbing. I was in a long time and was pretty disappointed not even having a hit...till this.

20150725_073241_zpsqx6bwpj0.jpg

Well, Now I am feeling better...but am conflicted because the water conditions are not what I had hoped for. With the weather still a question mark..I decided to grind it out right there. Next up is this.....which really gets me jazzed...been a while.

20150725_075245_zps7ugzyn9u.jpg

Pretty good number of spots there friend.... :wink

I keep at it and this little fella makes it happen...

20150725_080811_zpsqhqtjp5p.jpg

That makes #68 ....Pulled two more snook that were better and decided to head out before the tide had me trapped.

Ran to the inlet and caught a blue..a jack and a blue runner...so I have that slam too...:grin
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Well done. I was down your way Tuesday AM. Stupid large redfish & plenty of trout. Enjoyed the area & Hope to do it again.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • 803803 Posts: 175 Officer
    Sounds like fishing comes as natural as the waterfowl hunting.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin
  • dtmdtm Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Nice wtg on the super:thumbsupslam
  • will i amwill i am Posts: 314 Officer
    good stuff :hail
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    nice!
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,047 Captain
    Great job getting big bro on the fish
    sounds like you keep him busy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,674 AG
    803 wrote: »
    Sounds like fishing comes as natural as the waterfowl hunting.

I got a chuckle from that Preston..... :grin

I only hunt ducks with low self esteem...they want me to shoot them!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • 803803 Posts: 175 Officer
    Could you pull up a few fish with one good arm also?
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" Benjamin Franklin
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Good Job Brother I've haven't caught a tarpon before, don't tell nobody!
    Robm00923 wrote: »
    Good Job Brother I've haven't caught a tarpon before, don't tell nobody!

Well, then stand by for a mind blower.... :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Ok, I'll put yesterday and today here.
    Yesterday was # 69... First spot was a big jack that had me fooled...not a "throber" like most jack fights..just a lot of strength.
    Next spot is a trout spot and I pull 5 nice ones..and have a couple come unbuttoned. I knew I needed to get moving instead of working over the trout so off I went....slide in to a spot down south and within 3 casts have a snook on the boat. So, I'm way south and decide to grind it out there....lose a big (for the river) barracuda boatside...and see a couple Reds...but it takes a lot of casts to come up with this.

20150726_082358_zpsrwj9o5rk.jpg

Today I'm heading out behind topwater guy.... decide to take a chance on a place that the water has been too low for me to get to....but get nothing...water is terrible. I move to a little trout hole and pull one trout....but that is enough and looking west I see it is going to be an interesting weather day...gotta go.
    Head to the next place and see a Tarpon roll....but he's not interested...but do get a small snook. I keep at it but the conditions are not very good and i'm weighing the run south against the weather...when I see bait shower....toss the CAL and I have the fish airborn.... another cute little Tarpon.

20150727_075954_zpsnupeilvc.jpg

So, now it is a Redish that is needed....I keep tossing but I see a little wad of wigglers just ahead. I do a fast load and toss and score a good bunch.
    I have an idea where I may just get a shot at sighting up a fish....so off I go.
    I get in the spot and the water is right at the edge of do-able...but the wind is no friend! I bump a nice Red...:banghead I keep moving and just as I go to slide under a dock...I see a Red just the other side. I am not really sure WHY I did it...but I tossed thru the opening and right about the time the skiff gets wedged under the dock kinda sideways...the little wiggler is taken. It was a real luck shot getting it beaten as I was kneeling trying to get away from the dock...but...it happened.

20150727_091925_zpslxhb3hoz.jpg

I got one more Red before the weather closed me out..

20150727_093755_zps2mbtk4fp.jpg

That was #70....and it was another SUPER slam.

But this...is the "catch" of the day!

20150727_071349_zpsazhyqleo.jpg

Poor dumb juvenile bird flew right into my line...and as his bad luck would have it...wrapped him up. As with any animal..the trick is control the end that feeds...kept his bill closed and was able to get him unwrapped and off he went.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Look'n good Joe.......:hail:hail:hail
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice catch Joe.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    My god…now you're catching different animal species along with your super slams of piscatorial pursuits! :rotflmao

Those are some good looking fish you got there…especially the multi-spotted Red.
  • GoComandoGoComando Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Good job! What brand of artificial do you have on there? I use that color frequently and it does work, I was just curious. I may end up switching if I keep getting bit off by puffers.
    GoComando wrote: »
    Good job! What brand of artificial do you have on there? I use that color frequently and it does work, I was just curious. I may end up switching if I keep getting bit off by puffers.

It's a DOA CAL....puffers love them so much...I buy the 50 count bag! :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Net 30 wrote: »
    My god…now you're catching different animal species along with your super slams of piscatorial pursuits! :rotflmao

Those are some good looking fish you got there…especially the multi-spotted Red.

Thanks George....

That Chokoloskee chicken would have gone good with this fella I caught a few weeks back

IMG_20150617_074959_zpsdboxhayi.jpg

He was pretty tuckered out when we said our good byes

IMG_20150617_075630_zpsithppw3y.jpg
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    No slam today...super or otherwise.
    I did get to talk with topwater guy and Palm Beach Pete...hope they got on them.
    For me it was tough. I caught 2 nice trout...3 jacks..one was a "wrist wrecker" size.
    And I was able to sight up 2 nice upper slot Redfish.

20150728_104027_zpsaqgxcnv9.jpg

20150727_093751_zpsoobvapoh.jpg

The snook unfortunately was not in the cards for me...and I did look hard.
    I did get this though....so I will eat him as revenge for no slam. :wink

20150728_134706_zpsd7sbrqfp.jpg
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FlecFlec Posts: 669 Officer
    Just curious here,,how many times a day do you have to replace your cal minnow tail due to a blowfish bite? Nice flounder there,how big?
    Flec wrote: »
    Just curious here,,how many times a day do you have to replace your cal minnow tail due to a blowfish bite? Nice flounder there,how big?
    Flounder was about 3 lbs...big enough for a big dinner for the wife and I...

It is hard to say on replacing....I "flip over" my CAL tails since they will swim equally well upside down if you rig them straight. I would say I burn 2-5 tails per trip if the puffers are not on a big feed. :grin Most fish like the ones I target don't have big teeth so you can get a good amount of trout on one...then flip it over and get more. Sometimes they will rip a bit during the fight so if you trim 1/4 inch off the front...you can re-rig thru unripped part of the lure.
    As I said, I buy from a local place ( CARP in Grant ) and get the 50 bags....wind up being 22 cents a piece...so that is the cheapest part of my day.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    Lotta good fish.
    I am finally off this Saturday... Let's get wet!
    Lotta good fish.
    I am finally off this Saturday... Let's get wet!

Call me...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Was able to do #71 today. I worked it backwards since I was expecting a busy ramp in Sebastian with it being mini season.
    I launched at Wabasso and first spot I jumped off a snook :banghead I caught a jack before moving on. It took the first 45 minutes but finally caught a snook.
    Ran to a trout spot and pulled 4 Trout and a ladyfish but with heavy cloud cover I knew I needed to get moving. I decided to try a spot with live bait...and got lucky with a little bit of sun...I caught 2 Reds and was on the way home by 10...

20150729_083814_zpsjco1a6ba.jpg

20150729_085207_zpsvew5qbvj.jpg
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Yesterday, I was held out by a Redfish. I had a good mess of trout..7 or 8 and got a snook before going looking for a Red...hours later...I get one shot...and it is the dreaded " hit & spit " :cry

Today was #72
    I got out early and with the cloud cover it was pretty dark. I caught 2 Trout at the first spot and knew I better go looking for my snook.
    Next spot I pulled a little one so I was off to find a Red. Heavy cloud cover and dirty water meant no sight fishing....but got the CAL in front of this guy.

20150731_090225_zpsydbrynan.jpg

20150731_090239_zps06b8jzkl.jpg

Five spotter....

Kept fishing..it was nice with no sun...caught 6 more snook and 1 more trout... one snook would have been just shy of slot...and one a couple inches smaller than that one.

20150731_091108_zps6hk2ik8r.jpg

20150731_094823_zpsp3he7eet.jpg

On the trailer a little after 10...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain