Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

7/29: Slow night Sword fishing but managed a nice Mahi

Headed out of Jupiter Inlet around 6:30 to heavy seas and howling south breeze. Pointed south to 25 miles offshore LWI in 1750'. Were able to run at 20-22 knots in the 3-5' seas in my 25' Bluewater. Took a few pounds, but stayed dry and made good time.

Got first spread in the water as it got dark around 8:45. Not long into drift, came up on huge weed patch. Pitched out cut baits and landed a nice Mahi. Drifted for another hour with no bites. Pulled baits and went into around 1450' and drifted for another 2-3 hours. We didn't get a bite all night.

Typical spread, 3 lines (100' - 200' - 300') with lights and balloons (32 oz. lead). Drift was fast, 4-5 knots with south breeze and north current. Moon was 3/4 and high, but it gilt overcast.

Replies

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,058 Captain
    I give you credit for giving that a shot, you just never know and hey you picked up a nice fin, congrats..sounds like the boat ran good even though it was sloppy out there. Best of luck next time.
  • SickleFinDreamsSickleFinDreams Posts: 221 Officer
    I'll be out there this weekend. I'm due for a bite
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    if you don't try, you'll never know
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Question for you guys since I want to try this soon. I will wind up buying prerigged squids since I am starting out. How long can I expect to get out of one with no bites? Should it last a full night with checking it a couple times? If not would a mackerel or something else be better? Thanks in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • Black AttackBlack Attack Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Our pre-rigged squids were still clean at end of night. My mate who was the man with experience on the boat said we could use them again. Not sure I will though.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    BA - Thanks for the insight, want to try fishing for swords down the road. Always interesting to read of other folks results and methods.
    Congrats on the Phin.

Pura Vida!
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    WTG!
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,934 Admiral
    When fishing, as far as checking baits, If you lose a few, check more often.

Always put out what we called a "tip" rod. One rod straight out the back with no saloon and regularly move it around, put it a 150, drop it to 200, pull it up to 50, drop it back to 200, etc. This will be your "bite" rod!
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Jim you got out and cough some fish. Are you going to be out Sat or Sun?
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    You gave it a shot, that's what counts. I'm about ready to try some daytime action very soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 514 Officer
    You get an " A" for effort Jim. We went daytime dropping recently off Jupiter and got hooked up but it was short lived and a few slashed bait. On our second trip on the Christine Marie we didn't even get a bite but study the bottom and marked a few future drops.
    Thanks for the post and info
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    I have learned the hard way night timing is not fun if it is more than 1-2 foot seas, we used to tough it in 3-4 in high school and the beginning of college when our time was limited but we know better now, ill daytime in 2-4 but overall swording isn't fun (and i have found isn't very productive once it gets rough). Our best nights are when its flat and you can see the bite then play with the fish. Mackeral will get a lot more shark bites we tend to stick to live bait (blue runners and gogs) and squid, to this day we have not lost a fish on live bait once we come tight on it, squids get whacked a lot and you might think you are tight and not be, might be wrapped on its bill and it will take some drag. You will learn in time what you like and what you will have luck on. We run a 6 line spread when we fish, 3 balloon rods, 1 flat line, and 2 tip rods. Believe it or not we have never caught a fish on a tip rod, we have had 1 bite total, we tend to do well on the flat line and the balloons.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    A for effort, I do miss swordfishing, need to get off the couch