Banana River 7-25-2015 Reds Tarpon Snook Black Drum

AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
Had a pretty epic (and long) day Saturday on the river. Was on the water by 6am, slowly working my way up the west shoreline. Managed 2 slot trout hanging out around mullet schools. I knew storms were forecasted for the day but that didn't keep me home. Made it up to Buck Creek and didn't see a single school of reds on the way. Saw a guy wading at the mouth of the creek hooked up with a small tarpon and they were everywhere! I landed 2 (one of which jumped at me while trying to grip his mouth and grabbed my hand, left a nice mark for me.) After messing with them for a bit started heading back south scouting the shoreline and started spotting fins cruising the shore. Reds were scattered throughout along the shore and buried in grass. Caught 7 on my way back down before getting stuck in a storm. Hunkered down in the mangroves and sat it out for an hour. As it was pouring down rain I'm looking out in the water and black drum were tailing, made a few casts but they weren't cooperating at the time. Finally made it back to the launch but I wasn't ready to leave, just had a feeling things were gonna heat up after the storms. Headed further south and hooked up with a snook and a red again on the shoreline. Saw a tarpon with its entire back out of the water under a mangrove but made a bad cast a spooked it. Now it's about 7pm, I head back to the launch and black drum are everywhere on my way back, they were pretty aggressive chasing down my lure. Landed 5 and also another redfish in the mix. I'm sitting a few yards from the launch not wanting to leave with all of these fish around me but by 830 the Mosquitos forced me out. Total for the day 9 reds, 2 trout, 2 tarpon, 1 snook, 5 black drum. Not sure what kind of slam that would be but never caught so many different fish in one day. Here's a few pics I managed to get, unfortunately didn't snap ones of the trout and tarpon :(

Replies

• ghostrider8ghostrider8 Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Epic day!
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    Must be a nice day.What was you choice of bait?
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,793 Captain
    Wow, great day, good report, and nice pictures.:thumbsup
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Janos wrote: »
    Must be a nice day.What was you choice of bait?
    All fish were caught on soft jerk baits, one of the tarpon hit a mirrodine
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Epic day for sure. My best day of inshore fishing from a yak has been there as well. Need to make a trip up there soon. I'll drop you a pm to see if you wanna join.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    pretty awsome
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    That is a great day fishing! Congrats!
    I think four makes it a grand slam.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    davederb wrote: »
    Epic day for sure. My best day of inshore fishing from a yak has been there as well. Need to make a trip up there soon. I'll drop you a pm to see if you wanna join.
    Yeah definitely, let me know
    That is a great day fishing! Congrats!

I did some research couldn't find any slams that contain all of them together, but managed a Family Slam (red fish, black drum, trout) and an Inshore slam (red fish, snook, trout)
    I'll call up the FWC and tell them to make it a Banana Slam :banana
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    :Spittingcoffee
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Awesome stuff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Nice Selection there Sir, What soft baits were you using?
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    FRickin awesome day man, waiting on that type of day myself.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
    Chobeeboys wrote: »
    FRickin awesome day man, waiting on that type of day myself.

It'll come, that's the first time I've fished an entire 14 hour day paddling around 15 or so miles by the end of it, but only managed to do it because of the break the rain made me take and determination..... and a few energy drinks :spin Otherwise i would have quit a lot earlier, the morning just wasn't really producing much.
  • rsala49245rsala49245 Posts: 7 Greenhorn

I think you're right. I like the Banana slam reference. Congrats on your great day fishing.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,330 Moderator
    A long day indeed, but one to remember! Congrats!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • KBMonsterKBMonster Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Solid day, Mosquitos seem to end some of my best days too!