Home Off Topic

WOW! Did anyone else see Jimmy Kimmel tonigh?

Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
Raking over the coals the American Dentist Walter Palmer who went to Africa to shoot and wound a lion with a bow and arrow. Some hours later the lion was tracked and shot dead by Palmer's guides, skinned, and decapitated.

Cecil the lion had a collar and had been tracked for many years by an Oxford research facility.

Apparently it was legal over there but still despicable by most standards.

When the story broke the dentist closed his office in Minnesota and went into hiding.

Needless to say when this story circulates in the coming days Palmer will become one of the most hated people in our country.

Kimmel posted his name and several photos.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 

Replies

• NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    The hunter pays $50k to guides to cull an old lion. Apparently, the guides aren't properly licensed and they also put the hunter on a tagged research lion. Mentally ill Americans flip their lids and threaten the hunter's life.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    The incident may not be the first time Palmer has run afoul of the law while hunting.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

A man by the same name and age, and from the same town, illegally killed a black bear in Wisconsin several years ago, according to court documents. That individual pleaded guilty to making a false statement

He knowingly made false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and was sentenced to one year on probation and ordered to pay a fine of nearly $3,000, records show.
    On July 6, Rodrigues said, Bronchorst took Palmer to Hwange National Park.

"They went hunting at night with a spotlight, and they spotted Cecil," Rodrigues said. "They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park, and they scented an area about half a kilometer from the park," or about 550 yards.

Rodrigues said Palmer shot Cecil with an arrow but failed to kill him. Then the two men tracked Cecil, finding him about 40 hours later and shooting him to death with a gun, Rodrigues said.

They discovered that he had been fitted with a GPS collar and tried to destroy it, Rodrigues said.

Cecil was skinned and beheaded, Rodrigues said. Contrary to earlier reports, he said, the head has not been found.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,172 Captain
    Just another poacher.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    The guy paid full price, the "permit" had his name and signature on it.
    The mistake was reported to Zimbabwe authorities by the pro guide the next day.

The NYT has written articles about his previous hunts.

If he was poaching, he would undoubtedly be the dumbest poacher alive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11767119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html
  • NOLE66NOLE66 Posts: 1,630 Officer
    This guy didn't hunt the lion, he poached it. Further, he is not a hunter, but a scumbag poacher.
  • coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    NOLE66 wrote: »
    This guy didn't hunt the lion, he poached it. Further, he is not a hunter, but a scumbag poacher.

this
    169304.GIF
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,331 AG
    Jimmy Kimmel also handled it well in his serious and comical way.

Instead of promoting hate or retribution, he said, "If it's that hard for the guy
    to get an ****, there's a pill for that. It works."

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    Good thing he didn't kill a duckling - he'd be in jail!
    23895.gif
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,181 Captain
    Did they tie the "bait" to the car and drive on the preserve with it and lure the lion off the property? If not, I don't see what he did wrong, they hunt over carcasses over there. I don't see the appeal, but to each their own. From what I've read, the guides owned the land that he killed the lion on that bordered the preserve, but did not have a lion tag. They probably lied to him and said that they had a tag and now he'll be banned from Starbucks for life.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I think it was illegal to shoot a collared animal no matter where it was.

Reminds me of the Carl Hiassen novel where some "trophy" hunter paid to shoot a stolen rhinoceros that was propped up because it was half dead.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 789 Officer
    He and many others can pay $50K plus to do something like that, and I am with my meager income, and anyone who shops at certain stores, are ask to donate a $1 or more to support education, something is wrong with our values.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,192 AG
    I had a little fun on The Facebook last night reading all of the comments from the crazies about this guy and the death of Cecil the lion.

One in particular, some nutcase girl that attended high school with me, was calling for the dentist to be "drawn and quartered"........yet these idiots don't see anything wrong with selling chunks of fetuses for a profit.

It's a crazy world, man!!
    Warning Level 2
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    SAENole wrote: »
    I had a little fun on The Facebook last night reading all of the comments from the crazies about this guy and the death of Cecil the lion.

One in particular, some nutcase girl that attended high school with me, was calling for the dentist to be "drawn and quartered"........yet these idiots don't see anything wrong with selling chunks of fetuses for a profit.

It's a crazy world, man!!

You have been misled. There IS something right about the research.

“Cells from one fetus have no doubt saved the lives of millions of people,” Paul Offit of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia told the journal Nature in 2013, talking about just one cell line used by Hayflick to create vaccines. That WI-38 cell strain came from a female fetus from Sweden, aborted at 20 weeks of gestation.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/fetal-tissue-in-research
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,357 Admiral
    Not my thing, but doesn't seem any worse than shooting a zebra in a canned hunt here in north Florida.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,124 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I think it was illegal to shoot a collared animal no matter where it was.

Reminds me of the Carl Hiassen novel where some "trophy" hunter paid to shoot a stolen rhinoceros that was propped up because it was half dead.

Sick Puppy
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,120 Officer
    There are now 4 sides to every story. Yours, theirs, the truth and the internet.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,576 Captain
    Looking from the perspective of a sportsman who happens not to hunt; It sounds like any other canned hunt, and really any trophy hunt(big bucks). If it was legal or an honest mistake it doesn't bother me at all. If it was an honest mistake responsibility should be taken by all. If ends up being actually knowingly poached, then I am all for the strictest reasonable punishment.
    He's arrogant, rich and thinks the rules don't apply to him.
  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,571 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    You have been misled. There IS something right about the research.

“Cells from one fetus have no doubt saved the lives of millions of people,” Paul Offit of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia told the journal Nature in 2013, talking about just one cell line used by Hayflick to create vaccines. That WI-38 cell strain came from a female fetus from Sweden, aborted at 20 weeks of gestation.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/fetal-tissue-in-research

That might have been true in 2013 but not now;
    Don’t Let Planned Parenthood Use ‘Medical Research’ To Whitewash Its Baby Body Parts Atrocities

Medical researchers can get human tissue without buying it from people who harvest human organs from live babies.

We Don’t Need Abortions for Vaccines or Stem Cells

Lastly, we get to the “why are you so squeamish about killing babies and selling them for parts” argument (which to humane people may not even be an argument). Brown looks to Vox to try to “science up” the case. The implication is that we need more abortions to make vaccines that were developed 50 years ago. We don’t. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “some vaccines such as rubella and varicella [were] made from human cell-line cultures, and some of these cell lines originated from aborted fetal tissue, obtained from legal abortions in the 1960s. No new fetal tissue is needed to produce cell lines to make these vaccines, now or in the future.”

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/22/dont-let-planned-parenthood-use-medical-research-to-whitewash-its-baby-body-parts-atrocities/
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,750 AG
    Anyone calling Palmer a sportsman doesn't get it.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,181 Captain
    Rollin wrote: »
    He's arrogant, rich and thinks the rules don't apply to him.

Well, he could be ignorant and poor and still think that the rules don't apply to him. That's very common in the real world.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Well, he could be ignorant and poor and still think that the rules don't apply to him. That's very common in the real world.
    True !!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,003 Admiral
    Sooo , You always wanted to kill an American Whitetail. You live in Poland. Benn reading everything you can on it , checking prices , shooting your bow, buying a new camera , new boots, ready , finally.
    The guides have told you they have an old past his prime Trophy all baited up and comng in nightly.
    Your Stoked, a million miles from home and it's down to 3 days in Wisconsin at the Lodge.
    Here he comes says Bernard the local white hunter guide...get ready..Bam , nice shot.
    A week later you have to go into hiding cause the POS Locals you paid Thousands to had you shoot Bambi the movie star deer...****.
    This guy got TOOK and now he's screwed.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Captjohn5150Captjohn5150 Posts: 1,698 Captain
    I hope your right about getting screwed.....he needs to go to an African jail and get the poopoochoochoo treatment...big time...maybe, just maybe after 5 years of untamed carnal ChoochooCHOOOOOCHoOO play time in his tunnel he will be released back to the good old USA a very broken and humbled less than a man...
    That isn't a sportsman, that's a do all or nothing big bucks, rules don't apply to me, trophy poacher....
    Hear the train a commin Doc....
    For the love of all outdoors recreational activities....what my spelling is off, that will learn ya. Pimping ain't easy unless u went to FSU, its a BS course.
    What do u get when you can connect the dots, color inside the lines, and get your release papers.....sentence served, times up at Felon sentenced university.
    Floridas first woman's college.
    The only difference between FSU and all the other colleges are other colleges accept you into the university's. At FSU you are taken into custody.
  • lilwoodylilwoody Posts: 1,120 Officer
    What WRT said. At 55K you expect some level of professionalism out of the people you hire.
    "Those who will trade freedom for security will have neither".
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,192 AG
    I hope your right about getting screwed.....he needs to go to an African jail and get the poopoochoochoo treatment...big time...maybe, just maybe after 5 years of untamed carnal ChoochooCHOOOOOCHoOO play time in his tunnel he will be released back to the good old USA a very broken and humbled less than a man...
    That isn't a sportsman, that's a do all or nothing big bucks, rules don't apply to me, trophy poacher....
    Hear the train a commin Doc....

So you're suggesting a man get sodomized in a foreign prison because he shot a lion?
    Warning Level 2
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    Will be interesting to see how the Pope & Young,Safari Intl' connections are handled.

I really enjoyed Carl Hiaasen's work regarding the former Florida Governor who retreated to the Florida Wilderness,tacking collar attached,playing hide & seek.(Some have surmised the story book Governor was Lawton Chiles,Tallahassee area hunter and true Conservation Leader during his term in office)

This episode with Cecil the Lion has energized and focused the ardent,even Governor Rick Scott's out of state hunting preferences and method,setting are coming under close scrutiny. Almost as if Governor Scott had a tracking collar affixed while hunting............fascinating!
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink