7/17/15 Pompano Bch - Hvy Weeds, and Mega Current....drift North

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
Left the Bch at 12th st Pompano at 830am with 6 gogs. I thought I was just going to fish locally and see if I could find another jumbo tuna, but that was not the case. It was flat calm, and very clear water, but the current was ripping North like a river. At times, the drift measured up to 2.5kts in 80ft, 3kts in 165...and 4.0kts in 200ft. Peddling with it, I hit 7kts ! Peddling against it was fruitless, so resigned to doing a drift. There was a Huge rip/weed line at 165ft running nearly the whole length of Pompano Bch. Because it was so calm you could see many whirlpools, and my kayak actually spun around in circles in one of them. I tried fishing it for awhile, but the weeds were thick from the surface all the way down to 130ft. Made if very tough to present a bait, and even the vertical jig was repeatedly snagging on weeds.

4 of 6 live baits were wasted on weed tangles. One got bit off(probably a shark) and one produced a rat king as I drifted over the below meter mark just south of Boca Raton Inlet.

Current so fast, vertical jigging was difficult, even after switching to heavier jigs:Cast out to the north, get 2 or 3 pump/retrieves off the bottom, then the line drifted south and the rate of the drift turned it into speed jigging. Was entertained by environment and fishfinder, otherwise slow fishing. Beached around 330pm at Ocean Inlet Park, Boynton Bch (18.5' as the crow flies... a new record drift distance for me) Total catch: one small bonita, king and blackfin. UBER hit by another car on the way back to pompano, made for a long day.

Replies

• Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    That's a good drift! Current is still ripping today
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Yup, I was out there yesterday and it still just like that. Current was also ripping at 3.5+ kts in 160' with flat conditions on the surface. Almost got nailed by a lighting storm around 12 which made for a peddling workout. We thought of turning it into a drift but we came into 50' and were able to peddle south back to our launch.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    John, I wish I had known about your experience at Pompano before YaknPomp and I went out on Saturday, it was pretty much the same conditions, plus lightning storm in the distance. $ wasted on gogs which just got tangled in the weeds :banghead
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    I have a quick question for you guys regarding the current/Drift. I have a lot of experience fishing in the Gulf, but not the Atlantic!
    How do you guys know which way the drift is going to be going? Or do you just turn up and see?
    My parents have moved to West Palm Beach, so I will be in that area quite a bit more now, than the Gulf..
    Taking Baby steps, I was thinking about putting in near the Jupiter Inlet, and drifting down to near Juno Pier.. But how will I know if the flow is going that way or not? It has me stumped?
    Thanks ahead of time, for any help you can give me..
    Sincerely Karl
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    krhyde1066 wrote: »
    I have a quick question for you guys regarding the current/Drift. I have a lot of experience fishing in the Gulf, but not the Atlantic!
    How do you guys know which way the drift is going to be going? Or do you just turn up and see?

You can never tell ahead of time (although fishing reports from others 24hrs in advance can be helpful), you just have to go out and see for yourself. Watch your landmarks and the direction your vertical jig is going so you can tell which direction you are drifting. Typically the current gets stronger the further out you go; so paddle out to the like 100-150 ft to get an idea which direction it is going and how fast but realize that once you get out to 200+ it could be much stronger.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    krhyde1066 wrote: »
    My parents have moved to West Palm Beach, so I will be in that area quite a bit more now, than the Gulf..
    Taking Baby steps, I was thinking about putting in near the Jupiter Inlet, and drifting down to near Juno Pier.. But how will I know if the flow is going that way or not? It has me stumped?
    Thanks ahead of time, for any help you can give me..
    Sincerely Karl

Also keep in mind that the current almost always runs north. Like at least 90% of the time. Do not plan a drift to carry you south, it will almost never do that. It will either be slightly going south (uncommon), no/slow current north, or quickly going north. If you plan a drift you should plan to travel north from where you launch.
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    The current in Pompano is just insane.It happens to all of us all the time and I don't even know why we even fish there instead of Dania.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the help guys. Sorry for not replying sooner, I have been slammed busy at work. I had thought that the current must be normally dominant in one direction. I have a lot of experience fishing the gulf, but that has little current flow compared to the atlantic..
    Any more tips and help would be greatly appreciated..
    Sincerely Karl
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Good report on your drift. Thanks for taking the time for this.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Nice Report John.

Who watched the yak up in boynton when dealing with the UBER BS?

Wondering how your buddy did?

Cheers!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    Nice Report John.

Who watched the yak up in boynton when dealing with the UBER BS?

Wondering how your buddy did?

Cheers!

No buddy on this trip Kevin. When doing a solo drift, have to strip all the valuables off the kayak prior to calling the uber. It really is alot easier/safer to have a buddy watching -- split the uber cost and not have to strip the kayak down before leaving the beach. Usually barter with fish to compensate a local to keep an eye on the kayak while transiting back to launch area.
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Isn't Uber leaving broward county on July 31st? I guess that means drifts will have to extend to boca an uber pick up
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    YakNPomp wrote: »
    Isn't Uber leaving broward county on July 31st? I guess that means drifts will have to extend to boca an uber pick up

Yeah Erik, after the 31st, will have to be picked up outside of Broward, but can still be brought there. Alot of people signing the petition to bring Uber back, so lets hope the politicians do what the people want.
  • harrisa2006harrisa2006 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    ncie report JOHN!