Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Why allow non hunters to apply for quotas?

Other states require you to have a hunting license to apply for a quota and some require WMA or public land permit also on top of that. Since Florida requires just the purchase of a $26 WMA permit, to enter the drawing they are allowing anyone and everyone to compete and win quotas. Thus people that want to keep hunters out of the WMA and block hunting in them can feel good paying $26 to try to stop us from using land that was allotted for hunting. At the very least you should have both a license and a WMA permit. I expect to hear people say if I don't get a quota I won't hunt in florida this year, well you already had to pay $26 just deal with it. We need to come up with some way to weed out the non hunters that take our hunting privileges. Maybe they will not want to pay for a hunting license to play the game. It has to be enough of a change to weed out the players. Who do I talk to, who makes the decision on this?

Replies

• relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    I was looking for a little bit more then that. I believe someone once said they chose the WMA permit instead of the licence because it cost more. I am sure the non hunters taking our hunting privileges are perfectly content to pay for a WMA permit that supports the public land. Now that I remember the dumb change about hog they made last year I guess this is all too complicated. You can't require someone have a licence to put in for a hog quota or any quota if they intend on only hunting hog since for the last 1 1/2 years any 18 year old that has never shot a gun before can go to a WMA and shot at hogs. Thanks FWC for that one. Since that started I have seen some pretty poor safety practices. Like firing blindly into swamps and thick brush to try to flush a hog. The things you see sitting in a tree, hoping your safe. Some day FWC will be sorry when a unlicenced hunter is shot by another one during hog hunting. well I got off track, and it seems no one wants to talk about the quota thing.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    I see your point but just to play devils advocate here, it's a lottery for use of public land. If they win, they save a deer, if we win, honestly, the deer are probably still safe lol
    It's there public land too, to use how they see fit if they win.
    The way I see it, As long as there is interest in public land, and people are buying permits, we don't have to worry as much about it going away.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 605 Officer
    Most of the other user groups don't have to pay to use a WMA except I think horseback riding on all national forests. I certainly don't want to lose money coming in for maintenance and such. Some of us try for years to get one quota out of just 15 issued for a special place and when you talk with the check station guy, he tells you just 6 people used their quotas. It makes me want to scream, I know things come up at the last minute, but are there really 9 people that got this quota with no intention of hunting it?
  • Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Hunting license would also require them to take a hunter safety course............

I'd try here,

http://myfwc.com/about/overview/programs/hgm/

Diane Eggeman, Director
    620 South Meridian Street
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600
    850-488-3831