Vilano 21 July 2015

kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
Launched somewhere around 0830 and headed to the inlet. Wind was already annoying and water was looking ugly. As the tide picked up the wind thankfully died down and things started looking great as they have been recently around there. For about an hour large schools of spanish mackerel were about destroying bait. After tearing through some of those and some bluefish I slowly started to drift back to the bridge. Hit up my favorite spots on the way and only managed smaller jacks. While trying for snook that I have been encountering this summer doing my wade thing I was able to get a nice one on topwater. After that I focused on the bridge where I lost what would have been my biggest trout ever at the kayak :( . Then did the same to a couple flounder, but was soon able to stick a 27" redfish and things were starting to heat up but the weather situation became too iffy for me so I called it.
IMG_6351_zps2vhe7klp.jpgIMG_6356_zpszioselob.jpgIMG_6354_zpsgzdqh8tp.jpgIMG_6352_zpswjfg9zkc.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,334 Moderator
    Nice!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Cool to see catches from your area, almost everyone is from Palm Beach, Broward or Dade
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,831 Captain
    Nice report and Great pictures, Thanks.
  • JimboleusJimboleus Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Nice. Will be south of you in two days for 10 .Will be yaking out of the Matanzas River Inlet. Hope the water temp rises just a bit. Although reports say things are biting inshore on the back side of Rattlesnake Island and on south toward Marineland..I am going to find out in less than 48 hrs!!
  • GreenwingGreenwing Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Excellent job !! We are starting to get more and more snook on the west side between Cedar Key and Steinhatchee. Talk about a game changer !!
  • CZ CustomsCZ Customs Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Nice day in Vilano!!! Looks like your on the north side of the bridge, do you launch at the Vilano boat ramp? Im going out Monday if the weather coperates.
  • kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Produkt wrote: »
    Cool to see catches from your area, almost everyone is from Palm Beach, Broward or Dade
    Yes I am aware and we are jealous of what you all get to do off the beaches down there. I am sure one day I'll get something in the kayak off the beach here but just haven't put any time into it and our conditions are less welcoming a lot of the time.
    Jimboleus wrote: »
    Nice. Will be south of you in two days for 10 .Will be yaking out of the Matanzas River Inlet. Hope the water temp rises just a bit. Although reports say things are biting inshore on the back side of Rattlesnake Island and on south toward Marineland..I am going to find out in less than 48 hrs!!

It has been a while since I have fished around there (probably May), but it is can be a great spot. If you are going off the beach, I would recommend lauching directly from the beach--even with the flat spell that we have had the last two weeks if there is one spot that is going to get dicey it will be that inlet. You know it can be glass flat and then 20 minutes later a total washing machine when the tide changes phases.
    Greenwing wrote: »
    Excellent job !! We are starting to get more and more snook on the west side between Cedar Key and Steinhatchee. Talk about a game changer !!

Thanks, awesome that they are proliferating over there too. Definite game changer-hope it lasts!
    CZ Customs wrote: »
    Nice day in Vilano!!! Looks like your on the north side of the bridge, do you launch at the Vilano boat ramp? Im going out Monday if the weather coperates.

Yes usually use the huge public ramp. I fish all around that bridge pretty often. Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanosJanos Posts: 219 Officer
    Nice report.
    2015 Hobie Outback.
  • KBMonsterKBMonster Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    The water in that snook shot was perfect. great pic with the bridge in the background.