kayak front flush mount rod holder???

What use u guys give to this rod holders?they are to far from me and the angle sucks on my kayak malibu stealth 14... any ideas??

Kayak on the pic is not mine! But same kayak.

2015-07-24%2011.03.55.png

Replies

• AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    I would think those would be for if you are standing and need to set your rod somewhere instead of having to lay them down
  • Linesider7Linesider7 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I always thought that was the most ridiculous place to mount a rodholders. Maybe some Malibu owners can set me straight.
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 488 Deckhand
    They look perfect to me, there in front of the seat and give you enough room to paddle. When you have the rods behind you trolling you can't see them and know if there's weeds on your bait or if your live bait is getting excited. You may have to lean forward to grab the rod but you can at least see them and know what's happening. A bait being trolled with weeds won't get a nibble ever. A little more time on the water and you might start understanding more of the game.
  • RickysreefRickysreef Posts: 394 Officer
    Maybe that is what it is for!
    AceDawg wrote: »
    I would think those would be for if you are standing and need to set your rod somewhere instead of having to lay them down
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,817 Captain
    Aft rod holders are convienant, but best to have rod holders forward, so you can see and respond to any strikes asap. My Hobie came with aft rod holders, I mounted forward rod holders just for that reason.
    Ok that make sense thanks for the info :) like I said before I'm not a new fisherman, I have been in the water for over 25 years in boats .I have never done any trolling in the kayak yet but i was thinking of doing some and a least wen I'm going out looking for the deep waters,thank again!!!

Android77 wrote: »
    They look perfect to me, there in front of the seat and give you enough room to paddle. When you have the rods behind you trolling you can't see them and know if there's weeds on your bait or if your live bait is getting excited. You may have to lean forward to grab the rod but you can at least see them and know what's happening. A bait being trolled with weeds won't get a nibble ever. A little more time on the water and you might start understanding more of the game.
    I have the xwing on my malibu I'm getting 2 rod holders for it they will be right at front of me it will be much better like u said I can get to them right away,with brand u guys like the most scotty???

Aft rod holders are convienant, but best to have rod holders forward, so you can see and respond to any strikes asap. My Hobie came with aft rod holders, I mounted forward rod holders just for that reason.
    I was looking at this one but never use one before no idea how good they are?with one u guys like best? I use spinning reels only.

http://m.basspro.com/Scotty-Baitcast/Spinning-Rod-Holder/product/20902/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

This one only $20 but the reviews are good!!

http://m.basspro.com/Attwood-Rod-Holder/product/10205371/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT
  • Linesider7Linesider7 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Android77 wrote: »

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I've been kayak fishing since the year 2003, started out in a scupper pro TW. Been through 8 kayaks, but no malibus. I guess I should have said, the height of a flush mount rodholder is what seems ridiculous to me. I'm a spinning reel guy, and it just seems that the reel would be taking a bath the entire time that holder is utilized.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 274 Deckhand
    I have a Stealth (and a Pro Angler). Those rod holders are worthless, except for leaking in water. I sealed the perimeters with silicone to fix the water intrusion, but that doesn't protect the reels from a constant washing. They are out of easy reach also. The angle is so extreme it would hard to get a rod into / out of them while standing unless you were standing beside the kayak. I bought an X-Wing for dry storage and a place to mount 2 Scotty adjustable rod holders & a depth finder. Works great.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Got em on one of my kayaks and absolutely love it. I only use when flat-lining a livie and when about to land a big fish. I simply place the rod in the front holder with bail open and it makes it soooo easy to handle a big catch without having line crossing over u. It also prevent bad things from happening. My 2 cents.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    That's what I want to do to,I also have the x wing,I think people are confuse the way this rod holder are it sucks is not like other kayaks that I have see before!

mjrudd1 wrote: »
    I have a Stealth (and a Pro Angler). Those rod holders are worthless, except for leaking in water. I sealed the perimeters with silicone to fix the water intrusion, but that doesn't protect the reels from a constant washing. They are out of easy reach also. The angle is so extreme it would hard to get a rod into / out of them while standing unless you were standing beside the kayak. I bought an X-Wing for dry storage and a place to mount 2 Scotty adjustable rod holders & a depth finder. Works great.
    Bro for what i see in those pics ur rod holder are good I wish malibu had them like that,the angle is totally different :(

Pottymouth wrote: »
    Got em on one of my kayaks and absolutely love it. I only use when flat-lining a livie and when about to land a big fish. I simply place the rod in the front holder with bail open and it makes it soooo easy to handle a big catch without having line crossing over u. It also prevent bad things from happening. My 2 cents.

Rickysreef wrote: »
    I think people are confuse the way this rod holder are it sucks is not like other kayaks that I have see before!

True true. The standard front rod holders on a Stealth are unlike any I've ever seen, and useless. On the plus side, the tackle compartments and live well in front of the seat are also unique, and awesome. Very handy, secure and flat area for standing.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Easy fix get some pvc, heat and bend to desired position. That way you can use em like hobie rod extenders. Keeps reels away from water line.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    I just set two scotty rod holder on the xwing :) problem solve
    Rickysreef wrote: »
    I just set two scotty rod holder on the xwing :) problem solve

Glad it worked for you! Mine are especially handy when I'm trolling or drifting live baits. Holds the rods at any angle and high off the water and away from paddle strokes. And when I'm bridge fishing, I can rest my rods inside the rod holders to keep them from rubbing on the bridge supports, which weakens the line and sometimes lifts them out of the rod holder.
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Easy fix get some pvc, heat and bend to desired position. That way you can use em like hobie rod extenders. Keeps reels away from water line.

Thanks, good plan - certainly cheaper so I tried that before dropping $90 on the X-Wing. My Stealth factory front rod holders angle out and forward so needed elbow fittings to get the direction changed enough to be desirable to me. By the time I made the direction changes and bends, the PVC protruded out the side more than I wanted and I did not trust the strength for holding up to a big bite. It can be done, but the X-Wing has advantages like easy access to dry storage for battery-phone-wallet-etc, rod prop, depth finder mount, tackle tray, adjustable securable rod holders. 3 years later I'm real happy with it - much preferred over the DIY-PVC.
    Best money ever spend,I went fishing yesterday keybiscayne I used the rod holders they work perfect !!!