Finally got one... sort of

Well after at least 20 jumped tarpon this year (not including the small ones) and only one to the boat to show for it I changed up my strategies a bit and it paid off. I took the day off on Friday... ended up jumping 3... one I fought for about 5 minutes and the hook pulled, one spit the hook immediately, and the one in this video I fought for about 15-20 minutes before my line broke. Vid was from about the halfway point when I realized I didn't have the camera on...woops. BTW my line broke because my bait had wrapped around a piling earlier and I was too lazy to retie. :banghead

Got skunked today btw.

Thanks to everyone who has offered me help with this. I finally feel pretty confident I can go out and actually get a couple to the boat now and not just watch fish jump all day.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Replies

• FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Man, you just can't get a break huh. Out in the pouring rain and broken off right next to the boat. You will get it don't worry.
  • red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Good job Magnuss , nice to see people stick it out and hone their skills , every-time you post more progress is made !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,489 Officer
    nice vid!!! I cursed for you at the end
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I'd bet you will become one of the gurus on the forum within a year or so. You're super committed and that is what it takes!

RD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,168 Captain
    Thanks RD. I have a long long, long, long, long long long, long... long way to go before I can hang with guys like tarponator, pilchard, and many others.

Thanks again to everyone who has been helping me through this.

-Mag
  • Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    Nice work buddy!
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,368 Admiral
    still a thrill regardless
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    shaking your head at the lightning. :rotflmao At least you had them all to yourself. lol
    Nice work Mag.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,802 AG
    So, for all the aspiring tarpon fisherman out there, what made the difference? What are you doing differently?
    p.s. now, having watched the video... You did a good job fighting that thing for a self-professed rookie!!! You seemed to be calm, and kept very good pressure on the fish and anticipated its circles around the boat well -- areas where rookies tend to make mistakes. One piece of constructive advice: When you get the fish that close to the boat, go to the down&dirty. Put the line right along the fish's back and try to stop it from moving in the water -- this will tire the fish even more and shorten your fight times.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    So, for all the aspiring tarpon fisherman out there, what made the difference? What are you doing differently?

-WAY bigger hook. About a 12/0.
    -Hooking the mullet through the lip instead of up through the button in the roof of their mouths.
    -Letting the tarpon eat it for about 30 seconds before closing the bail.
    -After there is good pressure on the fish and he pulls drag I jerked the crap out of it a few times to try to get the hook through the bone.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    p.s. now, having watched the video... You did a good job fighting that thing for a self-professed rookie!!! You seemed to be calm, and kept very good pressure on the fish and anticipated its circles around the boat well -- areas where rookies tend to make mistakes. One piece of constructive advice: When you get the fish that close to the boat, go to the down&dirty. Put the line right along the fish's back and try to stop it from moving in the water -- this will tire the fish even more and shorten your fight times.

Thanks again for the tips. You've been one of the guys that have been very helpful through all of this. Thank you and thanks to everyone else who has helped me out. I really appreciate it.
    My pleasure! :)