Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Homosassa River

How do y'all deal with all the idiots on that river?
Bout got run over by not one, but three boats while pulling derelict traps today with FWC in Tiger Tail bay.

FWC guy was yelling at them to slow down, one yahoo (black v hull) was 50' off our stern before turning hard to avoid and we were way clear of the channel (he took the turn way to fast for his skill).

I feel bad for the locals.
I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I was nearly run over by a group of drunks in a Carolina Skiff there once in my Gheenoe. I got well out of the channel and they were still coming right for me. I don't like to go there much anymore during scallop season. I'd rather run out of Chaz. I should learn to run the next river to the south, whatever the name of it is, so I can avoid that mess all together.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,860 Captain
    I used to be tolerant of the out of town folks. But after 13 years dockside, I give up. Monday afternoon, I pull up to the house and here goes a Crystal River Watersports tourist toon going as fast as it can by the dock. Jump back in the truck and head to the boat ramp behind Days Inn , which is where this boat was from. Jumped all over the new owner's **** about his new punk captain... I am beginning to dislike tourists....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,357 AG
    It was stupid. FWC on my boat got his registration, maybe he'll get a call..

Ain't near as bad on CR Dockside, trust me... Never seen anything like today, been a couple of years since I've been in the Homosassa but I was amazed at the mess..

Funny story, we were picking up a trap at least 30-40 yards behind a dock (three boats at the dock,small jon boat, airboat and a 21' Carolina skiff), guy comes out, jumps in the jon boat motors up to us and thanks us for removing that trap as he can't safely dock his skiff with it in the way...

30-40 yards away, 10' off the bank and it impedes you safely docking your 21' skiff??? GMAFB.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    So since I don't live in either CR or Homosassa, does that mean that I am a tourist since I can't afford to live on the water...:huh
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    So since I don't live in either CR or Homosassa, does that mean that I am a tourist since I can't afford to live on the water...:huh

Living on the water has nothing to do with it Bonz, being a dumb **** does though, so if the shoe fits, wear it.:wink
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,195 Officer
    Had a dangerously close call on the Homosassa about 10 days ago. I was returning upriver with my grandson after a morning fishing trip. We were nearly run over by a big boat with triple Mercurys and a Mercury wrap. He was running downstream going directly from one red marker to the next and doing about 40 knots. He passed by close enough to throw spray on us. I wish I had a brick handy.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

30-40 yards away, 10' off the bank and it impedes you safely docking your 21' skiff??? GMAFB.

If the air boat was dark green and ugly then I'm a friend of that guy...I've spent time at his house. Least he thanked you. He's a doctor and not a sailor. :)

There is a solution to the traffic if your boat can run skinny water. And you know the route.

It's "that" river to the south that Jim refers to (I'll take you out sometime Jim) and it does indeed need learning. Couple other ways out too but you better know the way. Sure beats running the main river that is full of idiots.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 776 Officer
    I no longer own a boat after 65+ years, I wish I still did but aging is a part of it. For the last boat owner ship years, we kept our boat at Riverhaven, we loved the Homosassa river but after we experienced so many close calls, with some damage, and all the idiots, my wife said, we no longer need to be on the River. I can seriously relate to all the post above.
    I will say CR is much easier to run but the wakes from the big big bigger and giant boats are tough to handle, if you run from the springs all the way out.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    I used to be tolerant of the out of town folks. But after 13 years dockside, I give up. Monday afternoon, I pull up to the house and here goes a Crystal River Watersports tourist toon going as fast as it can by the dock. Jump back in the truck and head to the boat ramp behind Days Inn , which is where this boat was from. Jumped all over the new owner's **** about his new punk captain... I am beginning to dislike tourists....

Saw the same thing yesterday. Sightseeing/snorkeling pontoon, half plane, right by Pete's Pier. Impressive wake, yeehaw!! This one was from the Port Hotel. Earlier, as I was heading out of HS, hugging the bank, an open fisherman passes me and as one of the passengers asks if I've had any luck, the 'man behind the helm' (doesn't deserve the title of captain) gooses it, dug a real nice hole . Kicker is, I don't think he did it on purpose...that's even worse in my book.

We're only here part time for now, but I am a fourth generation Floridian with roots in Levy county - does that still make me a tourist? :) Sad but true that it only one or two idiots to make hundreds of folks look bad.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Billy wrote: »
    If the air boat was dark green and ugly then I'm a friend of that guy...I've spent time at his house. Least he thanked you. He's a doctor and not a sailor. :)

There is a solution to the traffic if your boat can run skinny water. And you know the route.

It's "that" river to the south that Jim refers to (I'll take you out sometime Jim) and it does indeed need learning. Couple other ways out too but you better know the way. Sure beats running the main river that is full of idiots.

Bill
    That was him:)

We had no choice as where to go as we were picking up traps.

We picked up 103 stray traps over 2 days from the Crystal River to Homosassa.
    One third or better belonged to a local restaurant, another third was split between two Homosassa crabbers(spagetti legs was one), 21 were recreational, and the rest were some true derelict traps or just a stray that was missed last week when the crabbers pulled in their gear.

Lots of stray pinfish traps out there in various stages of decay, we can't take them so if y'all put a trap out remember to bring it in at some point in time.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,498 AG
    We were going to wait for Lobster season to head over to scallop. Figured most of the idjits would be down in the Keys by then and we could go in peace.
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    Saw the same thing yesterday. Sightseeing/snorkeling pontoon, half plane, right by Pete's Pier. Impressive wake, yeehaw!! This one was from the Port Hotel. Earlier, as I was heading out of HS, hugging the bank, an open fisherman passes me and as one of the passengers asks if I've had any luck, the 'man behind the helm' (doesn't deserve the title of captain) gooses it, dug a real nice hole . Kicker is, I don't think he did it on purpose...that's even worse in my book.

We're only here part time for now, but I am a fourth generation Floridian with roots in Levy county - does that still make me a tourist? :) Sad but true that it only one or two idiots to make hundreds of folks look bad.
    No, and did you catch any fish?
    That was him:)

We had no choice as where to go as we were picking up traps.

Yeah I know, my comments were mainly at anyone who runs the Homosassa and wants another option, assuming they have a shallow running boat.

Doc, not our Doc Stressor, is a good ole boy that just happens to be a doctor. Loves coming up here from Tampa and rubbing shoulders with his roots. His family traces back a long way in Florida and he makes all three of his boys attend a Florida state college as he did when he was younger.

He had that house built a few years ago and he has donated a lot of money to the local Old Homosassa community. He just has trouble docking his boat apparently. :)

Bill
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,278 Moderator
    doing about 40 knots.

This is the part I have trouble with. If everyone did the 25mph posted ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 592 Officer
    At least nobody had mentioned a boat matching mine doing something crazy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    No, and did you catch any fish?

:grin

Had one on, sort of :cool: - tenacious little ****. Worm as long as he was...wouldn't let go until he got to the kayak. I'd forgotten how spectacular bass can be. Saw some manatees and their boatloads of fans. :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

Billy wrote: »
    Yeah I know, my comments were mainly at anyone who runs the Homosassa and wants another option, assuming they have a shallow running boat.

Doc, not our Doc Stressor, is a good ole boy that just happens to be a doctor. Loves coming up here from Tampa and rubbing shoulders with his roots. His family traces back a long way in Florida and he makes all three of his boys attend a Florida state college as he did when he was younger.

He had that house built a few years ago and he has donated a lot of money to the local Old Homosassa community. He just has trouble docking his boat apparently. :)

Bill
    That's cool.
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    :grin

Had one on, sort of :cool: - tenacious little ****. Worm as long as he was...wouldn't let go until he got to the kayak. I'd forgotten how spectacular bass can be. Saw some manatees and their boatloads of fans. :)
    Fish along the seawall at the Crab Plant all the way up to the Kings Bay Lodge, pay attention to their docks too.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,079 Captain
    How do you deal with the "idiots"? Enforcement! This is scallop season, so there should be more then the usual courtesy trip from FWC and the sheriff. Put some boats out there, give some tickets(lots of them), that will either slow them down or run them off. Call your local numbers for the sheriff or FWC and complain. It worked for the Cobia tournament. One boat with his lights on straighten out the whole crowd!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff One wrote: »
    How do you deal with the "idiots"? Enforcement! This is scallop season, so there should be more then the usual courtesy trip from FWC and the sheriff. Put some boats out there, give some tickets(lots of them), that will either slow them down or run them off. Call your local numbers for the sheriff or FWC and complain. It worked for the Cobia tournament. One boat with his lights on straighten out the whole crowd!

+1

Write some tickets, get some of the drunks off the water. If you've been on I4 at rush hour or any time, you know people drive like idiots, why would they change on the water?
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I am with everyone here. I usually go out of Pete's and every single time, I must be missing something as I thought it was no wake until you get well clear of the area as the signs are there, but every single time, here comes Johnny Rocket in a rush to get to the next no wake zone on the river. I have yet to see a single law enforcement officer down there in that area which should take care of that. They should be out there every morning waiting at the start of the 25mph ready to stop whoever is coming out of there on plane, and it happens A LOT!!!!! I don't mind getting pulled over for a safety check myself as my stuff is current, nothing expired and I play by the rules, but it irritates me that they spend their time mostly on that instead of enforcing that area by Pete's.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,607 Captain
    The rocks take their toll on a lot of the idiots. We saw two different boats hit rocks on the way in in less than 2 minutes. One was passing boats traveling in the same direction in Hell's Gate. The other passed on the wrong side of a marker just to pass a few boats headed in the same direction. He had to have lost his lower unit on that brand new 300 Evinrude.
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Idiots everywhere but I can Homosassa being the worst in our area. We were at a rockpile few miles off Bayport and two boats randomly just randomly come up to us within 100 feet while we were fishing. No one was around us at all and they looked to be scallopers. Why.. why just do this and then leave???? ughhh well at least they didn't see the nice size cobia we jumped lol...
  • butchbalbutchbal Posts: 472 Deckhand
    Three weeks ago the wife and I are west of the scallop flotilla about a mile. We are in deeper water so we're 1/2 mile from the nearest boat. Barbara is in the water scalloping, I am cooling my jets on the bow and watching her about 100' feet off the bow. I saw a CC coming on plane and heading in our direction. I stand-up start waving my arms and pointing to our dive flag but he keeps his course coming right by our boat and missing Barb by 15 or 20 feet as she surfaces. The boat has a typical family, man, woman, kids. He looks right at me and and throws his hands up like "what?". All I can say is that it's a good thing that I would not recognize him if I ever run into him. One of the worst scares I've ever had on the water and I've been boating since I was 12.
    butchbal wrote: »
    Three weeks ago the wife and I are west of the scallop flotilla about a mile. We are in deeper water so we're 1/2 mile from the nearest boat. Barbara is in the water scalloping, I am cooling my jets on the bow and watching her about 100' feet off the bow. I saw a CC coming on plane and heading in our direction. I stand-up start waving my arms and pointing to our dive flag but he keeps his course coming right by our boat and missing Barb by 15 or 20 feet as she surfaces. The boat has a typical family, man, woman, kids. He looks right at me and and throws his hands up like "what?". All I can say is that it's a good thing that I would not recognize him if I ever run into him. One of the worst scares I've ever had on the water and I've been boating since I was 12.

That's the mentality that really pisses me off! the "what, i'm not doing anything wrong" kind of ignorance where they see you're upset but somehow it's your fault they're doing something stupid.

You see it all day every day on the roads. People passing in turning lanes, cutting you off, and they act like you are the jerk. They seem to have that mentality in spades in Clermont.
    Bunch of the yahoo's were flying their dive flags cruising down the river.

Course they were.

I yelled at one, who was going by, while I was drinking a brew at The Shed and the guy does the same as Butch mentioned...puts up his arms like what? I yelled again...your dive flag is up. He continued on up the river with the flag up...sad.

In the river, at that point, it doesn't really matter except for the fact the guy has no idea of the rules. And he is the one who will run by a boat, on plane, close to a boat with a flag up. If enforcement was ever needed it seems this year is the year.

Bill
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Living on the water has nothing to do with it Bonz, being a dumb **** does though, so if the shoe fits, wear it.:wink

Gee Rodney, tell me what you really think of me....:grin
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,737 Captain

Saw that a couple weeks ago while my we (wife and kids) were out near the island of boats. I realize people forget to take them down, but I think many of them think it is cool to fly a flag.

There needs to be several officers stationed out there and down the river to catch these people speeding and driving crazy. I think Lake George has more officers on it checking crab fisherman, than they have patrolling the scallop grounds.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Gee Rodney, tell me what you really think of me....:grin

You know I love ya Bonz, just getting the facts straight.......
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter